Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #21
Crankster

Default Re: How Did Henry Do It?

I read somewhere so many people turned out to apply for $5 they practically had a riot and turned on the firehoses to disburse the crowd. In January.

$5 doesn't sound like much to our ears, and the "$108 in 2008 dollars" is nonsense too.

It represented approx. 1/4 ounce of gold, or roughly $300 in today's money.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
daren007

By now I am sure we have all seen the videos from the Ford T assembly lines. How many of us could put up with that for one day much less a week. I guess you had to be pretty hungry.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
old car guy

Many years ago when I was in my 20ties the wife and I met a older gentleman sitting on the Veranda of the hotel we were vacationing at. He was just taking a break and worked their as a watchman just to have something to do.
While the conversation was going he made mention did we see the old car in the driveway today and it sure was a beauty. It was not a. fFord but was nice anyway(our 38 Chevy convertible ). He said how he loved old cars because he worked for Ford for over 40 years.before he retired. The next day he brought in pictures of him with ole Henry himself ,assembly lines photos of model Ts As up to the middle sixties. But there was pictures of Henry working side by side with guys on the line and he was greasy as they were. I cannot with one hundred percent certainty say if they were or were not staged . But he had multiple pictures from across many car years and models with Henry working on the lines with the men. He also stated about how rough Henry’s security forces were and was there during the plant shutouts and violence. Wished we would have stayed in contact with Him but I was much younger and never thought about what the value of these photos would be in a historical content today.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #24
Terry, NJ

Daren, Those pictures were of the Highland ave plant or the Rouge, usually. The place I'm talking about was near Alberta (Delphi ?)in the U.P. of Michigan (Near Baraga) I have pictures of the works as it is today. It's called "The Ford Center". Look in my albums. I think he formed the wooden parts there and shipped from here. This is how he grew the mountain of sawdust that gave him the idea for the briquets. (Kingsford Charcoal)
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
By now I am sure we have all seen the videos from the Ford T assembly lines. How many of us could put up with that for one day much less a week. I guess you had to be pretty hungry.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote