Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Gerald cook

Default model A trans

I have another question for the ford barn. All the replies I have gotten on my other questions have been so helpful. This question is about the after market seals for the front and rear of the transmission. As I am going to rebuild the engine (I'm on the list at Hanson's ) and the transmission is out I'm replacing all gaskets any way I Would like to stop the two areas prone to leaks. any advice would be appreciated. Thank Jerry
Gerald cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: model A trans

If you are going to overhaul the transmission, it is prudent to replace all five bearings, two ball bearings and three roller bearings. The front and rear bearings can be purchased with seals on each side. Bratton's carry them. I remove the seal on the inboard side of each bearing to allow lubricant to reach the roller elements.

You should also replace the cluster shaft and idler shaft. Bratton's carry them with an O-ring modification at the back end. This will eliminate a chronic oil leak.

I always put sealer on the threads of any bolt that goes through to the inside of the housing to prevent oil leakage. Replace all the gaskets.

Inspect the front end of the main shaft where the front roller bearing rides. This is a bearing surface, if it is galled it should be replaced. If it is a later main shaft it will have a key ring looking spacer that slides onto the back end of the bearing surface. its purpose is to position the front roller bearing. Most always it is found worn flat at the front. It is best to replace it with a new one.

Check the inside of the input shaft, this is also a bearing race and if it is galled it should be replaced. The nose on the front of the input shaft should be checked for a snug fit into a new pilot bearing that fits into the flywheel. If it has a worn step it can be machined and a bushing pressed on.

Check the teeth on all the gears, if you find heavy pitting and wear the gear should be replaced as it will contribute to a noisy transmission. It is common to find the cluster gear and the two sliders in this condition.

When the transmission is installed in the car pay particular attention how you install the U-joint. The front flange of the U-joint holds the rear bearing in place. Behind the front flange is where the attaching bolt with a special washer holds the U-joint onto the end of the main shaft. The special washer acts as a dam around the end of the main shaft to prevent oil from escaping under the flutes the slider gears slide on. If the washer is left off, or is an incorrect washer you will have an oil leak into the U-joint housing.

The special washer will have a notch in the outside diameter. Bratton's carry the correct washer. It is also a good idea to apply a little sealer to the front flange of the U-joint and to the front surface of the special washer.

Good luck with your project,
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Gunmetal blue2

For you cluster shaft and reverse idler gear shaft, replace with the new one's that have the O-ring on the shaft. That leave the front of the transmission, they sell a kit that goes inside the bell hosing and seals the shifter shafts.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

The "Real Deal Oil Seal" from Mitchell Manufacturing, [email protected], does a great job keeping the transmission oil from coming out with the shifting rails through the front of the transmission. It is very inexpensive and easy to install when the transmission is out of the car. You can also install a transmission shaft seal set (Bert's part #A-7145-C), 1-800-321-1931. It goes over the two shaft ends which you can see on the back of the trans. It is a little box which seals and covers the two shafts. I have used both seals for years and have no transmission leaks. I know this a little off topic, however, Mitchell also sells a transmission dip stick kit. It allows you to fill and check your transmission oil through an opening in the floorboard (similar to the battery opening). It sure makes it easy to check and/or fill when you are out on the road.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote