Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Gerald cook

Default Brakes

I need help on how to determine if front brake actuating assembly and service brake cross shaft is serviceable. Is there any way to check them while there on the car. Or do I have to disassemble the actuating assembly and cross shaft to visually check bushings and shaft surface. I've done hydraulic brakes for years this is my first attempt at mechanical brakes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry
Gerald cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Brakes

In my experience, the cross shaft on the front brakes is frequently the one component that is usually serviceable. That is to say that it must be inspected for bushing wear and if not sloppy on the ends, might be OK. Small parts on the backing plate are all subject to lots of wear. Some things can be measured and compared to specs, other parts need to be compared to a new part for evaluation. The service brake cross shaft at the center of the frame is usually a worn out critter and should be addressed. Read lots of posts and use the search function to get evaluation experience. It's a long process.

Last edited by 100IH; 03-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

Default Re: Brakes

An easy check would be to disconnect all the brake rods at both ends, and then see if you have any looseness in the actuator shafts and the cross shaft. Any lost motion will be a problem. My experience is the front actuator shafts are usually not too loose, the rear actuators are loose/sloppy, and the cross shaft is pretty sloppy. The front actuators were a lot easier to get a grease gun on, and the rears are really difficult. I would be surprised if the cross shaft isn't sloppy and pretty badly worn in the area where the bushings ride. The basic rule of thumb for good mechanical brakes is to get rid of all the slop where you can. Good luck
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote