Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Moodswing83

Talking 1932 model B Rear Axle hookup to v8?

I am looking at a 1932 model b rear axle for my project. The plan is to connect it up to a 1946 flathead-8/39 trannie. The question is, will it be capable of supporting a medium built flattie that will be driven lightly?

Any information will be appreciated.

Gene
Moodswing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Moodswing83

Talking Re: 1932 model B Rear Axle hookup to v8?

I posted this on the A site because I am using an A chassis.

The reason for the 32 rear is a 1925 tudor body on a A chassis. The 32 rear is believed to be the narrowist width for the t-body. Of course my original thought was a 32 v8 rear.

Any information will be appreciated.

Gene
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1932 model B Rear Axle hookup to v8?

There are a lot of Model A's being driven with that engine so I think it should be capable. The '32 is basically a Model A rear end (unless you have the late one which is slightly stronger). Remember to run brake drum retaining clips or safety hubs (I would also give the same advice to someone running a stock Model A or B).

First question, why not just run a Model A rear end? Second if you mean a late '32 rear end I think you will have trouble finding one. They are talked about a lot but what is left out is that they are EXTREMELY rare. Most of the V8's in 1932 used the Model B rear end. Only a small number of cars late in the production used what is generally referred to as the V8 rear. I have been into '32's for years and only seen a couple of these rear ends.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 12-23-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Many A's w/ engine swaps such as your running original rear ends "Driven lightly" are the key words here.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Jason in TX

32 rears used different curved springs and the spring was not over the axle like an A. You can make anything work, but it will take some engineering.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Moodswing83

Talking Re: 1932 model B Rear Axle hookup to v8?

I want to thank all of you for the information. I already have a '32 axle in my possession. I don't think that I will use it for this project because I do plan on building the motor for a little abuse. Most recommendations state that this probably would not be the axle of choice.

Thanks to all. This web site is awesome because of you guys.

Gene
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
There are a lot of Model A's being driven with that engine so I think it should be capable. The '32 is basically a Model A rear end (unless you have the late one which is slightly stronger). Remember to run brake drum retaining clips or safety hubs (I would also give the same advice to someone running a stock Model A or B).

First question, why not just run a Model A rear end? Second if you mean a late '32 rear end I think you will have trouble finding one. They are talked about a lot but what is left out is that they are EXTREMELY rare. Most of the V8's in 1932 used the Model B rear end. Only a small number of cars late in the production used what is generally referred to as the V8 rear. I have been into '32's for years and only seen a couple of these rear ends.

Charlie Stephens
How could that rear be identified? I may have one.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens

Charlie Stephens

How could that rear be identified? I may have one.

James,

Wish I could be helpful but I don't know the details. The only thing I know is that you will find the scalloped area (not round like Model A and most of 1932) on the front of the center section where the torque tube bolts on (this is true late '32 through '48). It was very late in 1932 and sort of a transition to 1933. You might post your question at earlyfordv8.org. Dave Rehor posts there and he would definitely know as he has both the '32's and '33's.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 12-28-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you also post this on HAMB (the modification site) you may get additional help with your project.