Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Moodswing83

Default New Plan, Old Plan, plan plan plan

Here goes nothing! A new plan that is in action. I guess my good old friend Rex wins again. It is amazing how the older people in your life no more about you than you do.

I bought this Coupe to make a traditional banger hi-boy hot rod. My friend Rex told me when I brought it home that he would change my mind about the build. He was right, because we came across an ugly green flathead that changed the plans for the build. As I acquired the rest of my parts and figured out the new plan, Rex continued with his plan to re-wire my brain. He did so by dragging me along on another journey, a journey that would rekindle a passion that I had forgotten. You see, I like old cars of all kinds. I am especially fond of the Ford model A's and especially the 1932. I like the stockers as well as the hot rods, some rat rodders get it right, and everything with to much power in it is just awesome.

Anyway, Rex dragged me to the old car festival at GreenFieldVillage for the past two years, and a week trip last year to the MARC meet in Frenchlick Indiana, where I joined the club. You know, it is way cool to see a stocker rolling down the road, right. But when you are surrounded by 100's of them, and they are alive and living a life right it front of you, you just gotta have one. This is where he knew me better than I did because on the return trip home, I finalized my hot rod plan to keep it original. So late this fall, we both set out to rebuild our model A's. I am really excited about the build and the wife is happy because I finally made up my mind.

So far, I have completed the front and rear axles. I am now eagerly attacking the frame, where I am in the primer stage and hope to have it painted within a couple of weeks. So far, the hardest question to answer is what color to paint it? I don't know!
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-6 3-4 1930 Coupe - Before destruction.jpg (82.9 KB, 253 views)
Moodswing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: New Plan, Old Plan, plan plan plan

Black!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
BudP

Well, I'm glad you picked the road marked "Restoration" rather than the road marked "Rod." I assume your question re color is not about the frame or fenders but about the body. You might think back to the MARC meet at Frenchlick on what colors you and your wife were attracted to. Also, review car colors available and shown at the MARC and MAFCA web sites. Get a "Model A Ford Paint and Finish Guide" and review the colors for the 1930 coupe. Leave the Guide open on the counter top and when you walk by it visualize body/trim/wheel combinations. Something will appeal to you and your wife.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
w.michael

See if you can determine what color your car was originally, by checking the hidden places on the body that have never been repainted. That doesn't help if you don't like the color, but it may help you narrow your choices. If you do like the original color, go with it.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

you and your story is exacty why i ask owners to drive the A stock before rodding it.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Colin Farquhar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Great story! Glad to hear that another one has avoided plastic surgery
Colin Farquhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

I like black also but I also like blue, green and etc. Guess I am not to much help But it does look like it may have been black somewhere in it's life.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
ODFever

I'm glad Rex worked on you to restore your coupe to factory. I looks to me like you have a nice car to start with. You will absolutely love driving her once she's finished. She will bring a smile a mile wide to you and your wife. There are few experiences more comforting than driving an A. I love my Alyssa, my 1930 Town Sedan. She is a dream come true.

Have you and Rex gone through the engine and transmission on your coupe? Do they need to be rebuilt?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Tinbasher

There's just something about a stock Model A that brings a smile to peoples faces when you're out for a cruze. I build Original and Hot Rodded cars and the original cars always bring that smile. Can't figure it out but that's how it is. Plus the original cars has a special sound in the way it runs. I call it the "Music'

51 years later I still love the "Music'

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Moodswing83

I believe that the car was originally black which is one of our choices. You don't see many dressed in black. The problem is that I see one and I really like it and then I see another one and it is just ok. I really like them in the lighter maroon and in blue. The problem with those two colors is that they weren't offered for a 1930 standard or deluxe. That is where my dilemma is, is it ok to not be totally correct for your years options? My options for my favorite colors are very dark in nature like the ford maroon.

I am currently working on the primer stage for the frame. The next piece is to tear down the motor and go through it. I already know that the cylinder walls are in great shape with no lip at the top.

I liked the comment about the plastic surgery. In my case, I grew up around the old number 83, a modified model A that ran all over mid Michigan. I often consider trying to find her, since she ruined my mind at the toddler stage. Does anyone know where any of these cars are lying around.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I will try to keep you posted on the progress. This is another exciting car journey that I'm experiencing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st choice-a.jpg (45.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd choice.jpg (102.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg #83 -39c.jpg (74.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Russell in Tulsa

I like the original "color" your car was in your photo. Too bad is in primer now. I like 'em with patina. Brother has an A on the 'bay now with plenty of patina but alas I can't even think about purchasing it due to the "other half" at home.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Those paint chips mounted on a white page will fool you. I learned you need to cut a square in a piece of dark paper and lay that over the color chip. Even better is to view the car in person, and the national meets is the best place for that.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
BudP

Your appreciation for authenticity is welcomed. Like many of us with "drivers" that appreciation for authenticity clashes with desire-in your case with color choices. If its any help you should know that on June 4, 1931 Ford issued a letter to "ALL DEALERS" that states in pertinent part, "Passenger cars purchased by commercial concerns for business use, will be painted any combination of our present or previoous passenger or commercial car standard colors, as shown on the attached list, at no additional charge." "We prefer to retain present De Luxe passenger car colors for use only on those types of cars for which they are specified." The letter continues on to identify prices and colors. It is two pages long. This letter has been used to ease the concern of several owners of high-quality drivers who painted or acquired (as I did-see my avatar) a high quality Model A with a color or colors not factory standard for the year of issuance.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #14
Synchro909

If you want to keep it original, leave it as it is. Cars that have been repaired, not restored are wonderful and will always draw the biggest crowds (if that interests you). Repaired so they are safe and reliable but look like they are straight out of the barn stand out from the crowd (IMHO). As they say, They're only original once.
As for choosing a colour, if you must paint it, I suggest you take a colour sample, lay it on a bench and stand a couple of mirrors along the sides of it so that you see reflections and reflections of reflections. This gives a larger area of the colour so you can see better what it will look like. Tiny patches of colour will deceive you, as Tom says.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If you want to keep it original, leave it as it is. Cars that have been repaired, not restored are wonderful and will always draw the biggest crowds (if that interests you). Repaired so they are safe and reliable but look like they are straight out of the barn stand out from the crowd (IMHO). As they say, They're only original once.
I'm with Synchro! I love it the way it is. There's a story in that patina - real or imagined - that will be lost under a shiny new coat of paint. But it's your car to enjoy, so go for it!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

I agree that your car looks great just the way it is. At most, just install the missing hubcaps. I would just do the maintenance and lubricate all the moving parts, then drive it for at least a year or two, then see if you still feel it should be painted.

Painting is a large expense and often ties up the car for years. There's a couple cars I know of that were taken apart in the 60's and are still in pieces.

Sure is great to know you made the right decision to not rod it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
BlueSunoco

Gene, neat story and I agree with the other fellows, you made the right choice!!! Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, at least you thought it all out before you started cutting

Your Coupe looks neat! Good luck, have fun, and about anything you want to know the guys on here will help.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
Moodswing83

You are ever so right about the paint chips, everything looks black to me. I guess that's why I should go black, which is one of my options. I will try the dark paper method and the mirror method. The other challenge at the meets is there seems to be a lot of variation in the same colors. Are the paint codes defined anywhere. My buddy is doing his 31 delivery in vermillion red, which is appearing to be darker than most of the other cars that I have seen.

Mr BudP; where can I find that letter? I am really struggling over this one. Does it still apply to 1930 and earlier makes and not just 1931? Thanks for the info!

I have considered doing the leave it alone restoration. The was the plan as a traditional banger hi-boy. The body and such has not been touched yet, is it to late if the chassis is done pretty? The front and rear axles are done and I have been working the chassis and I am close to paint. I think it loses that appeal, but interested in others opinions. I suppose that I could beat down the paint and make it fake old. I really wish that I would have considered that one more as the restoration and not just the hot rod. That would probably be the wife's input, i don't want to run around in a junk pile.

One last comment for this string. I have always had a place in my heart for what I call the stockers, in any condition. And I thought that I knew a bunch about the model a, but this restoration has been really exciting so far as I am still learning about the car that I love (forgive me 1932). About the nitty gritty of it.

Keep on, putt putt bang, putt putt bang.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #19
al's28/33

Consider yourself a Conservationist of Americana....that's really what we are by keeping our "A"s stock and drivable for the NEXT generation. I hope they will keep the torch lit for generations to come!

GREAT story and keep posting your progress....
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #20
1930artdeco

Here is my 2 cents worth. First Welcome to the Barn and that is a really nice car. Second it is your car for awhile until your kids get it to drive around. That being said, I got more looks when I my Mustang was being restored than a restored one at car shows.

If the axles are done already how about running it through a few mud puddles to cake on some dirt? They will be done, and safe mechanically and with the dirt nobody will no the difference. Keep the patina and just seal it up so it does not rust anymore and just drive it and get to know her. Then later if you decide to paint her or have no choice due to rust/safety/wife says paint her, then you can chose a color-I like the blue/black combo you posted.

Mike