Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #1141
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Hello Allan otherwise known as 40 Deluxe.
Yes, control of insects, weeds, fungus and rodents are now protected by pesticides. These products allow the crop, whether food or fibre to produce to their full potential depending on soil moister of course. Yes, they make weed hoers redundant and out of work but there are no such jobs as insect catchers or mouse catchers or fungus killers. I do feel you are making light and jest of my profession but I take no offence.
Do let me make an example. If Ireland had fungicides and aeroplanes back in the 1840’s they would have saved their potato crop and thus countless lives. (Wikipedia say more than 1 million died). In the future neither fungicides or aeroplanes may not be necessary because of the development of genetic modification making the spud resistant to fungus. And of course this potato famine led to mass migration to both your country and mine.
As for tools of entertainment, ( you mention boats, golf carts, golf clubs TV, video games etc). I have no problem with those either for those retired, or work or those who cannot work. I do have a problem with those who choose not to work but live off welfare, which I feel is grossly abused.
Keep writing 40 Deluxe, I always enjoy reading your contributions. Cheers, gary.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #1142
Mister Moose

A few comments for Mr Woofa

Radials have to be pulled through a few revolutions pre start to clear the lower cylinders of oil, hydraulic lock will ruin your day.

Radials have no oil sump, and must have an external tank.

Some early radials had a fixed crankshaft, and the cylinders rotated.

I have a set of bookends made from a radial piston, sliced in half. It's enormous.

In this hemisphere we call it a hot section, not a fireplace!
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #1143
woofa.express

Do read story number 1142 below before reading this responce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
A few comments for Mr Woofa

Radials have to be pulled through a few revolutions pre start to clear the lower cylinders of oil, hydraulic lock will ruin your day.

Hydraulic locks in lower cylinders. I never experienced any in a Pratt engine but yes in a Pezatel (question spelling) engine. I would need to pull a plug to drain the oil and the engine was freshly overhauled (in USA). It was 1,000hp and a copy of a Wright Cyclone I understand. Both the engine and the airframe made my life miserable whilst I owned the horrible thing - a Dromader. The airframe was partly copied from a North American Rockwell Thrush (S2R) which was an upgraded Snow and like the name suggests, designed by Leland Snow. Who later designed and built the Airtractor. That and the Agcat are my favourites.
The Dromader was built by craftsmen but grossly overbuilt and heavy. Other operators had two failures in longerons and another lost a wing ending my friendís life. The controls were so heavy and exhausting I always put another four more sandwiches in my dinner box the days I intended to fly the mongrel.

Radials have no oil sump, and must have an external tank.

Yes radials have an airframe oil tank. I once purchased 18x44gal drums of oil. Rotten Mobil didnít give me a cent discount. The drums were a drab olive colour which would have been for the military. Bet they got a discount.

Some early radials had a fixed crankshaft, and the cylinders rotated.

Interesting rotary engine. Itís a La Rhone. The propeller was attached to the engine and crankshaft to the airframe. I bet pilot would need to open the throttle gently. There was one here on our local airfield. Not operational. The owner swapped it for a newly overhauled gypsy to power his Tiger Moth.

I have a set of bookends made from a radial piston, sliced in half. It's enormous.

In this hemisphere we call it a hot section, not a fireplace!
The location in a turbine where the fuel is ignited is also called the hot section here as well. Also cylinders frequently get called barrels. We have all sorts of names for all sorts of things. But beer is beer and that doesnít change. I would suppose you folk in America have likewise expressions.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-09-2021 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #1144
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Hello Allan otherwise known as 40 Deluxe.
Yes, control of insects, weeds, fungus and rodents are now protected by pesticides. These products allow the crop, whether food or fibre to produce to their full potential depending on soil moister of course. Yes, they make weed hoers redundant and out of work but there are no such jobs as insect catchers or mouse catchers or fungus killers. I do feel you are making light and jest of my profession but I take no offence.
Do let me make an example. If Ireland had fungicides and aeroplanes back in the 1840ís they would have saved their potato crop and thus countless lives. (Wikipedia say more than 1 million died). In the future neither fungicides or aeroplanes may not be necessary because of the development of genetic modification making the spud resistant to fungus. And of course this potato famine led to mass migration to both your country and mine.
As for tools of entertainment, ( you mention boats, golf carts, golf clubs TV, video games etc). I have no problem with those either for those retired, or work or those who cannot work. I do have a problem with those who choose not to work but live off welfare, which I feel is grossly abused.
Keep writing 40 Deluxe, I always enjoy reading your contributions. Cheers, gary.
Hi Gary, My apologies for seeming to make light of your career. That was not my intent. I just wanted to show an example of an occupation that went from being labor intensive to becoming automated, thus needing far fewer workers. There are many similar situations no matter where you look.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #1145
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hi Gary, My apologies for seeming to make light of your career. That was not my intent. I just wanted to show an example of an occupation that went from being labor intensive to becoming automated, thus needing far fewer workers. There are many similar situations no matter where you look.
Hi 40 Deluxe.
No apology required. I did not take the slightest offence. The point you made was simply a fact. Rest easy. Just keep writing. cheers, gary

Old 10-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #1146
woofa.express

Unfortunate and Foolish to drive too fast.

To clean the rust from the block and radiator I filled the cooling system with straight vinegar. The engine boiled and overflowed making quite a mess. The motorcar (my ute named Woofa express) was fitted with an overflow tank, the smart looking chrome type which is cylindrical, long with small diameter, the type sold by Snyder’s who do state it is not specifically for the A. It is also fairly small in capacity. In addition I have fitted a pressurised radiator which does have a smaller capacity and I am sus about the benefits. Also I was driving too fast- on the higher side of 45mph. I read the high speeds that other owners get which only makes me reiterate what I’ve always said-
There are more lies told about-
1. The size of fish that were both caught and got away.
2. The yield of crops.
3. The speeds of Model A’s.

I cleaned it up immediately then polished the body where the fluid had been.
Now, about 12 months later the black front guards have a light grey tinge. The ute still looks great but the smart lust paint job is no longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xmas 2017-18.jpg (5.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #1147
woofa.express

Becoming trapped.

When I was younger my job was aerial mustering wild cattle in the Kimberly of WA as well as the NT. Traditionary mustering had been done by mustering teams on horseback of course. The riders are known as ringers. Another method was to trap cattle. This needed limited water that could be fenced off with a one way push gate to allow the bovines to enter and likewise a one way push gate for them to exit. When cattle became comfortable and a full yard could be achieved the exit gate would be closed and bingo you had a compound with trapped cattle. Cleanskin stock would be branded. Bulls along with the bullocks were sent straight to the abattoirs (slaughter house to the Americans) young bulls (known as mickeys) were cut and branded and released along with the calves and female cattle.
Now a change in species: from bovine to homo sapiens. For more than a year now Australian residence have been restricted in travel (commonly called lockdown) in an attempt to limit the spread of covid. People have been caught away from home including overseas and unable to return. Opinion has been mixed on these two things: limiting personal freedoms and whether it will be successful preventing the spread of covid. Because this is not a political forum I offer no opinion.
To go shopping in NSW where I live I need to wear a mask and to attend a restaurant or other public gathering place one needs to not only a mask but show proof of double vaccination, plus record your having been there, either electronically or by writing your data on a pad provided. As I don’t have a modern phone and don’t intend to purchase one so I write details. I don’t intend to be captured in the world of electronic junk, I have better priorities. I am currently spending my time gardening and planting daisies which to me is more important and more rewarding.
Several large supermarket chains and other retailers have asked that payment now be made by credit card so their staff don’t need to handle cash money. Not going there either.
Where is this world going? Well I know where. It’s leading to more personal public exposure for retail suppliers and those who harvest and sell personal data. And perhaps more seriously by government intruding into our lives with the biggest interest being the monitoring our money; they want a cashless society. This will allow them to collect more tax which gives them more cash to trash. It's not dissimilar to trapping cattle I have described in the first paragraph is it?

And who is the government being monitored by, not citizens but the UN on what we can do and cannot do, as indeed Britain was directed by the EU.
I can clearly see the advantage in living in a tiny remote town, and there are many in Australia. Americans reading this who also think a smaller town sounds appealing could try Slapout in Oklahoma. It’s tiny.
With more and more government control in our lives how do readers feel? Do tell me what you think. I won’t be offended if readers disagree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32236226.jpg (29.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-18-2021 at 12:31 AM.