Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Transporting a Model A

Can anyone recommend a reliable auto mover? I'd like to help a friend get his Model A pickup from TX to CA. (Roughly Houston to SF.) Compared to driving down there with a trailer and then driving back, would it pay to hire a shipper?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Brother Hesekiel

Default Re: Transporting a Model A

What is a "reliable" auto carrier? We ship anywhere from 50 to 100 cars across the country every year. We list it on Central Dispatch, get offers, pick the first that fits the bill, a truck shows up, loads the car, then drops it off at the other end. We've never had a clunker, never a trucker who appeared to be drunk or on drugs, and never lost a car. Every carrier is bonded, insured, and I really don't see the difference here. Yes, you can choose Horseless Carriage, pay 40 to 50% more in return for a truck with transparent roof, hardwood flooring (really), and a driver wearing a spiffy uniform. But we just want to have our cars transported, quickly and for as little money as possible. But I can understand that the Kardashians would get off on such details, so it's really a personal choice.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
What is a "reliable" auto carrier?

Every carrier is bonded, insured, and I really don't see the difference here.

But we just want to have our cars transported, quickly and for as little money as possible. ....so it's really a personal choice.

I can tell you what I have first-hand experienced in several "unreliable" carriers. The worst one I can remember was a freshly restored Model-A Coupe left my shop heading for Beverly Hills, CA. From the time it was picked-up, until it was delivered was one day shy of 5 weeks! Needless to say the owner was nervous & livid!! In this case, the Coupe was being brokered to various independent firms that would take it a certain distance and then leave it at a terminal while taking a portion of the haul bill. Then, only after the owner finally decided to add more funds to the haul bill was the vehicle picked up in the Arizona terminal and delivered.

Another view of what "unreliable" is for me is when a vehicle is scheduled for pick-up/drop-off at a certain time. That time comes and passes, ...then there is an excuse the truck was delayed and it will be there so-&-so. When that next appointed time comes, sometimes they are there, often times it is another excuse.

One other point to make. Contrary to what you may believe, not every carrier is indeed bonded and insured. Maybe they were at one time however there is annual paperwork that must be filed and fees that must be paid. Often times those little 'details' are omitted. Every legal transportation company is supposed to be insured (required by ICC for the state and the customer) however in this day & time where a laptop computer can print off a fake insurance certificate, folks need to be careful to make sure it is indeed in effect. Having the ICC authority to operate in each state they drive in is something a company is supposed to have however many smaller transportation companies try to fly under the radar by not using signage on their vehicles or using log books, --instead trying to look like a private vehicle.

I know of one person who had his vehicle confiscated by Commercial Vehicle Enforcement officers after the transportation company did not have the proper paperwork to be operating in that state. The vehicle (along with the truck & trailer) was held until the matter was settled. Trust me when I tell you that when you have no idea where your vehicle is at that moment (sitting in a wrecker impound yard), nor will those arresting authorities give much information as to why they have sequestered your vehicle and the driver, what does it cost you in time, stress, and money to get your vehicle released? I suppose it is all about how big of a gambler someone is as to whether they want to chance this. Personally I try to only deal with reputable carriers that can prove to me they have the proper credentials in effect. Just something to think about....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
ronn

Brother,
in response to your paragraph, I once used a trucking co that was bonded and carried 300k of insurance to give me peace of mind................... long story short, they burned my car up on the carrier
and refused to cover me, knowing full well that if I took a lawyer, I would have had to fly down to FL to sue them. I lost. Final answer, I ALWAYS put my own insurance on a car before having it transported by anyone, no matter how good they say they are and how much coverage they say they have. Means nothing if you cant collect when your car is destroyed.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
ronn

well said Brent-as usual...................
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
31Abone

Just had a Model A open car transported from Pa. to Ca. with Amerifreight broker..was not happy with their choice of a carrier Express transport..they were high price and working for the trucker not the customer....closed truck with canvas roll up sides ,my car was dirty and oil from car above ..It was a scarry transaction ...felt sorry for other cars that were on truck..never again..jw
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Nabco

We used Passport Transport back in July to have my A and my brother-in-law A brought up to Ohio from Florida....it could not have been a better experience.

They left my in-laws house in central Florida at 8:00 PM on a Tuesday evening and both cars with in our garages by 8:00 PM on Wednesday, 24 hours later. The driver called me several times during the day on Wednesday with updates and we had GPS access to exactly where they were on the trip.

Would highly recommend them.

Nick
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

I forget his name/avatar but there's one here on the Barn and Ahooga who moves cars. Several on the HAMB.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Tim Armstrong

Great auto transporter.
Bills Auto Works in Wakeman, Ohio just delivered my 1928 Model A roadster. Great transporter. He kept me informed from pickup until delivery. Neat clean, on time and great equipment. If you need transport give him a call. 216 832 8697. Thanks Bill.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I forget his name/avatar but there's one here on the Barn and Ahooga who moves cars. Several on the HAMB.
Paul in CT
Truly Vintage
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
CWPASADENA

I have never used a broker. I go directly to the transport company.

I have used Reliable and Intercity with very good results. I have also used three independents who came highly recommended, also with very good results.

About four years ago, I sold a restored '31 Deluxe Roadster to a buyer on the East Coast. I recommended one of the known major transporters but he went thru a broker to get a better price. When the guy showed up, the equipment was sub standard and the driver did not seem to care for the car as I would have. When the car arrived it was weeks late and the car appeared to have been off loaded and re-loaded several times. The car was dirty and the new W/W tires I had just installed were scuffed. Needless to say, the buyer was not happy at all with the experience. He said he wished he would have spent a few more dollars and gone with a known shipper.

My experience,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I've used www.uship.com
Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
EHERRICK

Smile Re: Transporting a Model A

I have used Passport 2 times. I could not have been more pleased. Once the car was picked up I received a tracking number. With that number I tracked my vehicles a cross the USA. Cars were fully photographed before they took delivery. Floor covers, seat covers and steering wheel covers were installed. Driver put covers over his shoes before entering car. Great people to work with.
EHERRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
ABento

Ronn,I'd bet the sleeze ball shipper you used in Fl was showtime pro formance,what a slimy outfit they hit my truck in Vegas and said they would take care of it just send the bill for the bumper,uh huh,I'll find there junk one day and they'll need a hazemat call out,they ruined a Dodge 1 ton woodie wagon for a gent and would never make good on it,I think they have changed names again but still have dirty shabby equipment.
I've used Horseless and Dave recommended Terry Berry from Cars Enclosed to haul a car for me from Ind to here on the coast of Ca,not a problem.
Bills transport,Truely Vintage are haulers that advertise here and on the HAMB I've read good about both these guys,going uship or some other cheap deal is going to bring headaches.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
Roger V

Back in May I bought a car out of south western Georgia. The seller contacted Reliable stating enclosed and got a price. He wanted me to call to verify which I did. After buying the car I contacted the shipper. All of a sudden the original price was for open so now a new price. Then it became a question of when as the original promise was two or three days. Turns out we were dealing with a broker via Reliable who was just looking for anyone willing to transport my car. This went on for two weeks with one excuse after another like the truck broke down a hundred miles away, etc. Finally, my car showed up in a regular one-car enclosed trailer. The price then increased from the second quote but of course they had my car. Nevertheless, when I inquired about where is the big orange truck, the answer was those only went to auctions and large venues.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
denis4x4

I've shipped several cars via Reliable as well as using Reliable for cars I've purchased. Their prices are fair and the service has been very good. Shipping a car is not a service where I look for the low bidder.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Transporting a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Truly Vintage

One of (4) Model A's I have hauled for FordBarner Tom ...

This one being dropped off at Brent Terrys' shop .....

FordBarner Tom with an exceptional Model A being dropped off at his home ...

The story behind this particular Model A here on Ford Barn .....

@ http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138519

A Model T re-united with its' teenage owner after decades .....

The story behind this particular Model T here on Ford Barn ....

@ http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142929

A rare 1930 Model A steel top pick up truck dropped off recently in Oregon ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Transporting a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Can anyone recommend a reliable auto mover? I'd like to help a friend get his Model A pickup from TX to CA. (Roughly Houston to SF.) Compared to driving down there with a trailer and then driving back, would it pay to hire a shipper?

The BEST THING is always to move a car yourself if you can do it yourself ...

NO ONE will take better care than you will ....

As far as cost goes - Houston is along the way west to California from points further east ...

Not much demand to drop off cars in Houston ...

That means you will pay for unloaded miles to have someone drive empty
to go pick up and/or wait a long time for a hauler ....

Take a road trip !

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
barkleydave

I have not transported a car....but many boats over the years.

Now boats get a bit more complicated and expensive with Oversized Load permits etc.

I avoid brokers at ALL COST!

My last experience was through a broker. All looked good and the boat was picked up in Michigan the transport company had a dead head back from Chicago to Florida so saved a little there. Bottom line was driver would not except anything but certified funds. (Broker said check would be fine) I had to run around last min. to take care of the funds. Driver delivered on time.... he told me.."Next time call me direct" I could have saved 500 bucks by avoiding the sleezy broker!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
The BEST THING is always to move a car yourself if you can do it yourself ...

NO ONE will take better care than you will ....

As far as cost goes - Houston is along the way west to California from points further east ...

Not much demand to drop off cars in Houston ...

That means you will pay for unloaded miles to have someone drive empty
to go pick up and/or wait a long time for a hauler ....

Take a road trip !

Jim
Bill, from Bill's Auto Works (cited above) was great and he did a better job hauling my car than I could have-he knew what he was doing. Courteous, polite, on time, in communication, you name it. If you look in the HAMB-o-dex, you'll see that he has all positive reviews (more than 150) from a group of very fussy car people. I had him haul from Concord,NH to central PA and it ran (fall 2013) about $1.25 a loaded mile. That may have changed but Bill's great service won't have. I would strongly recommend his services.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote