Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
oldwoodsman

Default David Comstock's Pietenpol

On our recent Model a trip to Montana we found this interesting story in Roundup Mt. In 1932 17 year old David Comstock built the Pietenpol from scratch using a model a engine. Here is a link to the story http://www.mvhm.us/pietkids.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00846.JPG (184.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00849.JPG (190.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00852.JPG (135.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by oldwoodsman; 10-17-2014 at 09:11 AM.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: David Comstock's Pietenpol

This is a really great story and an inspiration to work with students on some projects i have always wondered how a model a carburetor works in an airplane when the amount of fore-aft and side tilt can be so extreme? The gas would just fall out.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
dlfrisch

I have a single engine pilots license and I was with some other pilots at a couple of meetings and a few times, I watched some sections of a Pietenpol being built by an acquaintance of a friend of mine. The builder guy had real nice Model "B" (4) rebuilt and ready to be installed. My friend, a past Alaska bush pilot was test flying it and the "B" quit. I don't know way, but he was just over the air port grass strip and near by rough brush area, put it down and walked away with some scratches. The plane had some pretty major injuries, but he put it back together, the last time I knew.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I have a single engine pilots license and I was with some other pilots at a couple of meetings and a few times, I watched some sections of a Pietenpol being built by an acquaintance of a friend of mine. The builder guy had real nice Model "B" (4) rebuilt and ready to be installed. My friend, a past Alaska bush pilot was test flying it and the "B" quit. I don't know way, but he was just over the air port grass strip and near by rough brush area, put it down and walked away with some scratches. The plane had some pretty major injuries, but he put it back together, the last time I knew.
Wonder if he tried loosening the gas cap? Did he have a "pencil" filter in the top of the gas valve? Kinda' hard to check for blue spark, from the coil wire to a head bolt, like Tom W. always suggests. "Maybe" a bad condenser, or that flag terminal in the dist, NOT bent right, according to Marco's FINE pics. Once, I had a little BLACK BEETLE stuck in the top of my float valve! (EEK!)
Bill W.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
oldwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
DL
When I started flying my ultralite trike somebody told me any landing you can walk away from was a good one, and if you can fly the rig again it was a great landing.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Tod

That is a pretty plane. Are these the only ones that used Model A engines? I am making the dual plug aluminum heads mainly for Snyder's airplane customers.

I heard somewhere that the engines were upside-down. This sure isn't. How could they be upside-down and oil the bottom end?

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
oldwoodsman

Tod...I guess you would have to fly it upside down. This one and others I've seen in pictures are upright, but backasswards.
Tim
Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Doug in NJ

Doesn't the pilot get tired of staring at the radiator all the time?

Doug
Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod View Post
that is a pretty plane. Are these the only ones that used model a engines? I am making the dual plug aluminum heads mainly for snyder's airplane customers.

I heard somewhere that the engines were upside-down. This sure isn't. How could they be upside-down and oil the bottom end?

Tod
Here is a Funk Airplane at Oshkosh that shows a Model B that is inverted....

2012 MARC Oshkosh National Meet 048.jpg

2012 MARC Oshkosh National Meet 051.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote