Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default remove snapped off bolt

Works every time for me, even this small broken bolt. First weld on a washer to the broken stud, then weld on a nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nut.jpg (22.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: remove snapped off bolt

What I am going to suggest to remove a broken bolt might sound crazy, but it works.
Use a small gas welder with a small tip, 0 or 00, set the gas for a neutral flame, put on safety glasses, face shield and leather welding cape.
Put the flame on the broken bolt, as the bolt heats up and starts to turn cherry red, keep the flame on the bolt, just as the bolt turns molten it will explode out of the hole.
The hole will be quiet clean with small amounts of slag. After cooling run a drill bit down the hole, then clean the treads with the correct size tap.
I have used the above method to remove broken manifold bolts from an engine on two occasions.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
What I am going to suggest to remove a broken bolt might sound crazy, but it works.
Use a small gas welder with a small tip, 0 or 00, set the gas for a neutral flame, put on safety glasses, face shield and leather welding cape.
Put the flame on the broken bolt, as the bolt heats up and starts to turn cherry red, keep the flame on the bolt, just as the bolt turns molten it will explode out of the hole.
The hole will be quiet clean with small amounts of slag. After cooling run a drill bit down the hole, then clean the treads with the correct size tap.
I have used the above method to remove broken manifold bolts from an engine on two occasions.
Yup. Never heard of that..... and I'll be 60 this year. I have heard of a metal
disintegrator and that's the only magic tool I've ever seen used that makes
broken stuff come out of tapped holes.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #4
GB SISSON

In my early flathead years in the late 80's old local guys told me to heat the broken stud to molten, blast it out with oxygen and the threads would be perfectly good for the next bolt. Seemed so against what I'd gleaned from backyard metalurgy that I never tried it.....All I could think of was cracked iron castings from the localized heat... but????
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:38 AM   #5
Vics Stuff

Heat bolt up red hot. Quench with water. Next weld a flat washer over the bolt then weld a nut to the washer. Allow to cool.
Done that on several occasions
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
KiWinUS

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
In my early flathead years in the late 80's old local guys told me to heat the broken stud to molten, blast it out with oxygen and the threads would be perfectly good for the next bolt. Seemed so against what I'd gleaned from backyard metalurgy that I never tried it.....All I could think of was cracked iron castings from the localized heat... but????
I have used this method hundred of times & works perfect. The block & threads see way less heat than the method so many try of heating block & studs to attempt to get studs out.
There are many reasons studs & bolts break to include:- bottoming out, galling up, over torquing, or like is common with flathead corrosion from water jacket end of studs along with many other reasons. All of these reasons for breaking can require different methods of removal.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Yup. Never heard of that..... and I'll be 60 this year. I have heard of a metal
disintegrator and that's the only magic tool I've ever seen used that makes
broken stuff come out of tapped holes.

I'm a young fellow of 86, an old mechanic told me about the gas welder trick in the early '70's. I really had to think long and hard about trying it, but then the alternate was to disassemble the engine to get the head off, take the head to a machine shop and have them remove the broken bolt, then re-assemble the engine.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
drolston

Good advice on what to do. Here's some advice on what not to do.

Wrung off a head stud on my third flathead at age 19. Tried to drill and extract with an easy-out, which promptly snapped off, leaving an un-drillable piece of very hard, brittle steel. Oh well, I just put the head back on, minus that bolt. My brother ran that engine through the logging trails for years in the shell of a '34 coupe with a milk crate for a seat. Sort of a rat-rod before the term was invented. Neve lost compression or leaked.

Here is the only surviving picture of that car, behind the '48 coupe into which I foolishly stuffed a 57 Buick. Never sounded right and broke too many axels and cluster gears.

Pardon my nostalgic digression.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retire0014 Dillwyn 48 and 34.jpg (66.0 KB, 56 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
wga

Used both with great results. Learned Blucar's method in the USN.