Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
johnmi

Default Clutch Chatter

How do I fix clutch chatter starting up in first gear only. I have a cut down flywheel, V8 pressure plate, and a clutch disc three years ago. The problem started then. Where do I start. Thanks John
johnmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Clutch Chatter

I find chatter comes from flywheel cover being out of spec [.007"], flywheel being out of spec [about .003"] , or pressure plate fingers out of spec [.002"].
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I find chatter comes from flywheel cover being out of spec [.007"], flywheel being out of spec [about .003"] , or pressure plate fingers out of spec [.002"].
i'm not sure about your figures but agree on the causes..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
700rpm

Sounds like an alignment problem. If you didn't install the two shims at the top of your flywheel housing, that can give you trouble.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
kwisor

hello
did you line up the clutch disc when you put it in venders sell a tool to do that with if not lined up it will chatter I know because I had a dodge van I put a new clutch in and didn't line the disc up and chattered till I took it back out and aligned it
kevin
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

How do you not line up the clutch disc and still get the tranny input shaft into the pilot bearing, so it's drivable?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisor View Post
hello
did you line up the clutch disc when you put it in venders sell a tool to do that with if not lined up it will chatter I know because I had a dodge van I put a new clutch in and didn't line the disc up and chattered till I took it back out and aligned it
kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
How do you not line up the clutch disc and still get the tranny input shaft into the pilot bearing, so it's drivable?
He is talking about a Dodge, anything goes with a Dodge!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
He is talking about a Dodge, anything goes with a Dodge!
Watch it Dude, I OWN A 2004, BLACK, DODGE KADOTA, WITH ONLY 27,000 MILES ON IT!!! Bitchin' Truck!!---------------
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i'm not sure about your figures but agree on the causes..

I'm not sure which figures I'm off on.
I couldn't get my cover any better than .009" [ from .034"]. I'm pretty sure Fords spec is tighter than that.
I like a flywheel to be better than what I mentioned, but, thats about the worst I would run.
I try to get the plate fingers all within .002" or better.
For a long time this one would shake your dentures loose, all is well now.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

I worked part time for a clutch rebuilder, sometimes a disc will cause a chatter until it gets "smoothed" over with a little use. Sometimes there might be a slight thickness discrepancy in a spot on the lining.
Chattering on take off can cause high & low spots on the lining. Minerva chattered BAD in LOW. Second gear take off DIDN'T chatter. For a month, I took off ONLY in second, I "think" that evened out the HIGHS & LOW spots. After that, smooth as glass on LOW gear take offs.
On cars where, after humid storage, the steel "threads" in the disc & the flywheel rusts together & the clutch sticks, like locked up! After breaking it loose, the clutch "might" chatter. I "think" the second gear take off, "might" help smooth out the flywheel & disc surfaces & eliminate chattering.
It's a DAMN site EASIER than puttin' in a new clutch! Clutch chattering is fairly common on Model A's & sometimes, by experimenting, you can learn to take off, "chatter free", like, take off at idle speed, in low, THEN gas her up & GO!!!
I once put a SOLID center disc in my Nailhead powered, '53 Studebaker, DON'T EVER DO THAT------------------MAYBE YES, ON A RACE CAR.
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I worked part time for a clutch rebuilder, sometimes a disc will cause a chatter until it gets "smoothed" over with a little use. Sometimes there might be a slight thickness discrepancy in a spot on the lining.
Chattering on take off can cause high & low spots on the lining. Minerva chattered BAD in LOW. Second gear take off DIDN'T chatter. For a month, I took off ONLY in second, I "think" that evened out the HIGHS & LOW spots. After that, smooth as glass on LOW gear take offs.
On cars where, after humid storage, the steel "threads" in the disc & the flywheel rusts together & the clutch sticks, like locked up! After breaking it loose, the clutch "might" chatter. I "think" the second gear take off, "might" help smooth out the flywheel & disc surfaces & eliminate chattering.
It's a DAMN site EASIER than puttin' in a new clutch! Clutch chattering is fairly common on Model A's & sometimes, by experimenting, you can learn to take off, "chatter free", like, take off at idle speed, in low, THEN gas her up & GO!!!
I once put a SOLID center disc in my Nailhead powered, '53 Studebaker, DON'T EVER DO THAT------------------MAYBE YES, ON A RACE CAR.
Bill W.

You had a Buick powered Commander ? Probably wish you still had it. I would.
Been trying to get my hands on a Bill Frick Studillac for decades.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisor View Post
hello
kevin

That alignment tool is nothing more than a copy of the transmitter input shaft. Before they were available an old input shaft or homemade copy was used. If the transmission is installed, the disk is in alignment.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
You had a Buick powered Commander ? Probably wish you still had it. I would.
Been trying to get my hands on a Bill Frick Studillac for decades.
Yes, Patrick, a Commander post coupe, molded, louvers, '50's pin striping. Painted Goldenrod Yellow! Only weighed 3,240 Lbs. Stock '55-322, out of a Highway Patrol car, Stude 3 speed/overdrive. At Lions' Drag Strip, in '56, FINALLY broke 100 MPH, street legal.
With it's GOOD aerodynamics, it was a VICIOUS Road Machine. Once I blew off a Packard Hawk, Golden Hawks were EASY!
ONLY trophy I ever won was, "BEST APPEARING CAR", at Madera Drags.
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yes, Patrick, a Commander post coupe, molded, louvers, '50's pin striping. Painted Goldenrod Yellow! Only weighed 3,240 Lbs. Stock '55-322, out of a Highway Patrol car, Stude 3 speed/overdrive. At Lions' Drag Strip, in '56, FINALLY broke 100 MPH, street legal.
With it's GOOD aerodynamics, it was a VICIOUS Road Machine. Once I blew off a Packard Hawk, Golden Hawks were EASY!
ONLY trophy I ever won was, "BEST APPEARING CAR", at Madera Drags.
Bill W.

I was born in a Studebaker parts room and brought up in Stude and Ford stores.
My fathers favorite car was his 53 black on black Commander. He kept it for a long time. Sure wish we still had it. I still think they are one of the prettiest cars ever.
These threads sure do get side-tracked don't they.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
Great Lakes Greg

If you want to check the run-out on the flywheel, I'll help you tear it down this winter.
I'll even help put it back together if you supply the barley pops.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
JBill

I agree with Bill. Mine chattered a little when first installed but became normal in a very short time.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #17
Fred K-OR

Mine also has a chatter. I start in 1st with the spark lever up and it seems to take off with less chatter.

Have a question for someone that knows more about this than I do. But I have just the standard motor mounts in back and front. Could the adjustment of the front motor mount have anything to do with the way it chatters? Reason I ask is that when it chatters, it seems like the whole rig shakes and I was thinking maybe the front was to tight.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Mine also has a chatter. I start in 1st with the spark lever up and it seems to take off with less chatter.

Have a question for someone that knows more about this than I do. But I have just the standard motor mounts in back and front. Could the adjustment of the front motor mount have anything to do with the way it chatters? Reason I ask is that when it chatters, it seems like the whole rig shakes and I was thinking maybe the front was to tight.
I don't think that would cause a chatter, Fred.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

me either, maybe a vibration but not a chatter
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post

Fred,
Try taking off in second for a month. Just let it take off at idle speed & then gas it. "Might" help it smooth out.
Bill W.