Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
JC60B

Default Back Window Fit in '29 Briggs Fordor

I got new glass cut for my '29 Briggs Leatherback Fordor and was about to fit the Back. I have new wood and the top is installed. Well it turns out I didn't notice that the top portion of the window opening is bowed outward so the glass doesn't fit flat across the top. It seems to be about a quarter of an inch out in the middle. The bottom and both sides of the opening are fine. Since the top is already installed there is no chance of fixing the bow. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to seal the top of the glass since there will not be any pressure on rubber seal in that section.
Also I was told I needed Four corner supports to center the glass but with them in place the inside window frame won't fit. Without them the frame fits into place fine. Would my frame be wrong? Here's a few pictures. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4393.jpg (34.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4394.jpg (35.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4395.jpg (67.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4396.jpg (70.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4397.jpg (63.4 KB, 36 views)
JC60B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
JC60B

Default Re: Back Window Fit in '29 Briggs Fordor

I’m thinking maybe I glue the seal to the glass with weather stripping adhesive and then fill the gap with good black silicone. That way water shouldn’t be able to migrate up past the seal where there is no pressure on it. Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC60B View Post
I’m thinking maybe I glue the seal to the glass with weather stripping adhesive and then fill the gap with good black silicone. That way water shouldn’t be able to migrate up past the seal where there is no pressure on it. Any thoughts?
Quote:
I got new glass cut for my '29 Briggs Leatherback Fordor and was about to fit the Back. I have new wood and the top is installed. Well it turns out I didn't notice that the top portion of the window opening is bowed outward so the glass doesn't fit flat across the top. It seems to be about a quarter of an inch out in the middle. The bottom and both sides of the opening are fine. Since the top is already installed there is no chance of fixing the bow. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to seal the top of the glass since there will not be any pressure on rubber seal in that section.
Also I was told I needed Four corner supports to center the glass but with them in place the inside window frame won't fit. Without them the frame fits into place fine. Would my frame be wrong? Here's a few pictures. Thanks.

It has been my experiences over the years that your primary issue is the new wood. We have a 170B in here right now that just had a new wood kit installed ...and now nothing fits. Because of this, this new wood is all coming out and either being modified, -or new pieces manufactured to the proper size. I am afraid in your situation, as the vehicle is being driven the flexing of the wood infrastructure will be of such that any sealant that you use will only come loose and create air & water leaks. Better to cut your losses and salvage what you can of the top, and make the necessary repairs now before you go any further.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
JC60B

So what about the inside window frame? Is it correct for the car? And those corner pieces have to be for a different frame.
PS. Sorry but I’m building a driver not a show queen so I’m going to make that window fit without redoing the wood and top.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
JayJay

Quote:
So what about the inside window frame? Is it correct for the car? And those corner pieces have to be for a different frame.
PS. Sorry but I’m building a driver not a show queen so I’m going to make that window fit without redoing the wood and top.
I'm not sure the issue is "driver" vs. "show queen", what Brent is talking about is sustainability of the fix. You should be able to lay a straightedge across the part in question to see if it's bowed outwards. If it is, then you can do a patch with a piece of wood that is flat on the inside and shaped to fit the bowed section on the outside. Glue/nail it in where needed, smooth it out and you have a good solid foundation against which to mount your glass. Like anything, proper preparation is the key to a lasting result.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #6
JC60B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I'm not sure the issue is "driver" vs. "show queen", what Brent is talking about is sustainability of the fix. You should be able to lay a straightedge across the part in question to see if it's bowed outwards. If it is, then you can do a patch with a piece of wood that is flat on the inside and shaped to fit the bowed section on the outside. Glue/nail it in where needed, smooth it out and you have a good solid foundation against which to mount your glass. Like anything, proper preparation is the key to a lasting result.

JayJay
Wow. This is exactly the repair I came up with thinking of how I could fix without removing any top. One piece going between the bow and window and the other between the inside window frame and bowed part it mounts to. Today after Easter dinner I built the piece for the window frame. Tomorrow I will attempt the other piece. Thanks for your input.