Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #81
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Do You Know What Grinds My Gears?

As someone, earlier, had mentioned, when a person does ask a "stupid" question, they are really interested in the car and are trying to start a conversation about it. Because, being that they do not know the right questions to ask, does not make them "stupid". A little courtesy, never hurt anyone.........
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #82
Deluxe Delivery

After explaining that I did a complete frame-off restoration, replaced all the wood, did the body work, paint, rechrome, stainless resto, glass, and upholstery, I got the comment, " well somebody must have taken good care of it, it still looks new" !
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #83
Michael in Sedona

After fielding most of the preceding questions many times, I wrote the following and post it on the windshield if I have the car parked in a public place for any length of time.

Here Are The Answers To Your Questions

1. Yes, she’s real. Her name is Brenda.
2. 1929 Ford Model ‘A’ Standard Roadster. There were also Deluxe Roadsters, but not until 1930 and 1931.
3. Bronson Yellow. Yes, this is an authentic Model ‘A’ color, available on Cabriolets in 1929 and on Roadsters, Cabriolets, and Phaetons in1930 and 1931. These are all open type cars (convertible tops). You would not see this color on a Coupe or a Sedan.
4. Not true. Black was available only by special order. For instance, 1929 Roadsters were available in 5 different colors, none of them black. Fenders, however, were always black. No exceptions.
5. Yes, she has the original 1929 engine. Rebuilt, of course.
6. Great! She’s a runner. Smooth and easy to drive.
7. 4 cylinder flathead, 40 hp.
8. About 12 to 14 around Sedona. Maybe18 or so on the open road. Gas was cheap in 1929.
9. 45mph comfortably. Tops would be about 50 to 55, but that puts undue stress on the engine. Remember, in 1929 most roads were dirt, so 45 was fast.
10. Not nearly as much as you think. Nicely restored Model A’s go for around $12,000 to $25,000 depending on body style and condition.
11. Because they’re still very plentiful. If there were fewer cars available, they’d be worth much more. 5 million Model A’s were made from 1928 to1931, and around 250,000 survive.
12. Yes, every part for the car is readily available from a wide variety of Model ‘A’ parts houses. I buy all my parts in Phoenix and have them shipped to Sedona by UPS.
13. No, I don’t have the time or the talent. I bought her just as she is.
14. Not that hard. These are simple cars, and people who have limited mechanical skills can maintain one.
15. Yes, the top folds down. About one minute.
16. Yes, one other Model A. A 1929 Tudor Sedan in similar restored condition. Her name is Bella.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for being gentle with the car.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #84
dr.j

Many have stopped to talk to Pam and I regarding our Tudor and if they have a camera I always offer to take a picture of them beside and sitting in the car. Last year in Merrickville a wedding party was taking some shots with the car in the background; I invited them to climb in for some additional pictures. What a sight, groom, bride, puffy dress, tux and tails and some even standing on the running boards. Such fun
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #85
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Sedona View Post

4. Not true. Black was available only by special order. For instance, 1929 Roadsters were available in 5 different colors, none of them black. Fenders, however, were always black. No exceptions.
Only for US cars, in Australia, coloured fenders were available, as well as coloured wheels.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #86
400A-64

Many times parents with their little ones look at the car and stand on their toes trying to look inside.I ask the parents if I may put the child inside. The look on the childs face as they look at their parents... PLEEZE DAD..When I put them behind the steering wheel they seem to be thrilled. Then watch their face light up when I tell them to press the big black button on the steering wheel!!!
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #87
Tudor Tooter

My least favorites to hear are:

"Can you drive it in the rain?"

"How can you legally turn with no signals"

"Can you drive it on the interstate?"

"Does it get above 4MPG"- I guess they assume the older it is, the less fuel efficient...

"Can you wash it?"

"Was this before the Model T?"

"Can you drive it?"

"Does it run on steam?"

On and on and on...
Tudor Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #88
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Tooter View Post

"Does it get above 4MPG"- I guess they assume the older it is, the less fuel efficient...
I always get this one too. My 53' had a inline6 milemaker in it, but in traffic people would lean out their window and say "what kind of mileage do you get...and snicker to each other". I look around and I'm surrounded by suvs. I just say "just over 20mpg" and drive off. Well, that is if they are still even looking at you for an answer.

Really most don't now the difference between a dressed flathead and a 440 with a 6 pack on it. Some are jerks and the ones that actually want an answer, I talk to them. It's the only way they will learn something about these cars.

Funny, I would literally stun some people when I told them the "plastic" pieces in my old 42 sedan were made from bio materials (bio-plastics). Usually that stopped them from talking and they just stare at the dash.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #89
late31

They also want to know what I paid for it and what it's worth.

My reply to the hotrod question is any idiot can put a small block chevy in and ruin the car, BUT it takes a REAL mechanic to keep them stock.

Kevin
late31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #90
biggergary

ya gonna chop it?
biggergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #91
gweilbaker

Do you know What grinds my gears?

Ummm- not double clutching?
- worn pilot bearing?
- gear oil too thin?

Just yanking your chain,
GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #92
2935ford

For the most part, you have to realize there are so many people out there who do not have a clue about old cars and what they do know is what they have heard or been told by someone who doesn't know either.
So, I think most questions are from those that are ignorant which gives us a chance to enlighten them if we so choose to.
I don't mind explaining about the car to someone with a real interest. Those with just passing by comments, I just smile.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #93
CarlG

What year is your Model T?

(While they are staring at the license plate frame that says: "1931 Ford Model A")

On the positive side the ones I like the most have both come from women:
"That's a really neat 80 year old truck!"
and another time:
"Does it still have the flathead 4 in it?" (yes) "Way to go!"
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #94
eagle

The one that I get, as mine is a Briggs Fordor, is: Why do you have ''28/29 wheels on a '30/'31 car? People see the smooth cowl and won't believe its a '29. I had a guy at a parade last summer argue with me about it, wouldn't acept my answer, and as he was walking away he said something like "doesn't know what he's talking about" to his buddy. I think its kind of fun except sometimes it does "grind my gears" a little.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #95
james hitchcock

That's why we are here at the Ford Barn, to answer questions. I'm use to ones calling Ol Walter a Model T, many don't know the difference. I never consider any question dumb. If they don't ask, how will they learn. I like talking about A's and I'm still learning. Some not only have questions they have valuable information.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #96
Theo

I have only been driving a few days and I already have gotten a ton of questions. Mostly about my age (im only 20, and Im driving a stock '30 tudor) how i got the car, and If i want to sell it. Everyone has been nice to me, except some lady in a TOYOTA PRIUS that told me to "get this piece of **** off the ******* road!!!" i'll let you guys fill in the blanks lol.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #97
BILL WILLIAMSON

There's no such thing as a DUMB QUESTION! Oh yes there are! Some people do ask DUMB questions, without asking their PEA brain to use some common sense before engaging their tongue to rattle off something really stupid. Colleges should have courses to teach common sense reasoning.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #98
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I have only been driving a few days and I already have gotten a ton of questions. Mostly about my age (im only 20, and Im driving a stock '30 tudor) how i got the car, and If i want to sell it. Everyone has been nice to me, except some lady in a TOYOTA PRIUS that told me to "get this piece of **** off the ******* road!!!" i'll let you guys fill in the blanks lol.
AND SHE WAS IN A PRIUS???!!!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #99
heneste

I think the funniest question I received was when I filled it up at a gas station and went in to pay. The attendant asked, "Does it work?"

I answered yes but I was thinking to say jokingly that "No, I push it to every gas station!"

It's still nice to hear the people talk about them, no matter what they ask.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #100
bobpo

I agree with Mr Hildebrandt, just be polite and thankful folks are interested (even if they really ain't).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2082.JPG (79.3 KB, 6 views)
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote