Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Epping NH New England Dragway Auto Swap Meet

This Sunday April 28. First Flea Market of the year.

It is reported that Epping, NH New England Dragway Swap Meet is taking the place of the now under land development and defunct Amherst, NH Antique Auto Flea Market.

I went a couple of times last year. I was under the impression that the Flea Market was EVERY weekend, but the last Sunday of the month was reserved for Antique Autos.

Looking at their Calendar - it would see the last Sunday is the ONLY flea market, antique or not. https://sensibledriver.com/event/nh-...lea-market-645

Can anyone who knows comment on this? Weather this Sunday is supposed to be good - seasonable but good.

Joe K
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
monto

Default Re: Epping NH New England Dragway Auto Swap Meet

Recommend wet ground footwear for tomorrow.
Areas near entrance and parking could be wet following recent rains.
Vendors areas, for the most part, are relatively dry.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Joe K

Thanks for the head, er, foot's up.

Joe K
Old 04-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Joe K

Just returned - a little disappointed.

About 8 rows of vendors both sides. Rows are set up North-South rather than the East-West from last year.

Of the goods for sale, about half was "memorabilia" - yunno, the Sinclair Oil sign repops, the "We can do it" roll up the sleeves WWII signs, signs with John Wayne on them. And Elvis painted on black velvet. Also, traffic lights, empty oil cans with now obsolete labels, the "Leg Lamp" from A Christmas Story.

About 1/4 was tools and tooling: pullers and wrenches, and meters and toolboxes. A LOT of powered carpenter tools as the local building boom is winding down (It always seems to be winding down locally?)

The remaining quarter was actual bona-fide car parts. Rubber goods, window crank handles, hood ornaments, some fenders and doors from (to me) unknown 1950s era automobiles. A few differential/drivetrain parts, a couple of clapped out 8 cylinder motors. And a couple of vendors in the "speed shop" modus.

I did see a 1956 Chevrolet Station identical to the one I rode in as a child back in the early 1960s. Needs work (like a complete interior) and $6000. Fun to see even if it didn't have the rear passenger seat with the fold down segment.

I saw ONE left front Model A 1930-31 fender with the tail corroded off it for $20. Would be a good project if one had an original undamaged to work from

I saw TWO Model A Radiator shells: one a much burned out 1928-29 and the other a much dented up 1930 which had been converted into shelf enclosure.

And thats it for Model A parts! Amherst its not - but it wasn't last year either.

There were certainly more shoppers than sellers. But surprisingly little being taken away.

And true to Monto's prediction - water was was a problem for the parking area - not so much the walking but rather the driving. Nobody stuck and spinning - but in certain spots one became aware of the possibility.

I hold hope for the future - I have seen it better - and larger. And being as local as I am its a worthy place - if not preceded by a week of rain.

Perhaps as the summer weather takes hold?

When I called Joe Tambolleo (Tam's) on Friday about whether he would be at Epping, he said he's going to Fitchburg, MA this weekend. Maybe thats where all the Model A stuff went?

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-28-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Keith True

A couple of guys in an A just left here that came from the dragway.No A stuff this time around.Amherst was the same way when Fitchburg ran on the same day.Cold with threats of rain keep people away too.I did think about setting up there today,but felt the cold would keep folks at home.While a lot of us like the swap meet experience,I think we've turned into an internet buying world.Stay warm and dry,and buy what you want by pushing buttons.The A stuff at Amherst started getting thin in the late 90's.If you hadn't gone there in the 70's and 80's it seemed like a lot of stuff,but it had really slowed down by the mid-late 90's.I'm a couple of miles from the dragway and haven't even been bothering to go.I just don't need anything anymore.I sold my roadster,want to sell my Tudor,and I have to decide if I want to sell my 31 pickup in a basket or do it up and sell it.I just don't need to have five A's on the road.I probably should have driven my Tudor over there and put a sign on it.The 30 coupe,30 open pickup,and 35 coupe should be more than enough for most anybody.Same thing with parts.Why do I need three BW overdrive setups leaning on the wall? It's just being piggy.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
dpson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I was planning on going to the early V8 show in Fitchburg this morning but the weather was questionable last night so I bagged it. I heard that several vendors, such as Tams Model A, opted for Fitchburg instead of Epping, so that's probably why it was slow there. Will try Epping at the end of May.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
monto

As stated by Joe and Keith above, it was very different from other flea market events I've experienced at the dragway during the last couple years. Essentially, there was nothing to look at. I walked the entire spread in the shortest time ever. Probably a combination of uncertain weather and Fitchburg.. Maybe next month !
Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Keith True

You may have seen the A that drove in here after he left the dragway.It is a homemade pickup,even his fenders are homemade.He lives in Manchester,and drives it constantly.It is a really fun truck.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
flan30

epping is hit or miss you never know whats going to be there but I knew it was going to be sparse because of the v-8 meet in fitchburg
flan30 is offline   Reply With Quote