Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
Track T-4

Default 1937 Ford Tudor door handle droop

Need some help. The exterior door handles on my '37 slantback tudor were drooping. I purchased replacement springs and pulled the mechanism out of the door. Now how do I remove the old springs and install the new one in the mechanism?
Thanks
Track T-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1937 Ford Tudor door handle droop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track T-4 View Post
Need some help. The exterior door handles on my '37 slantback tudor were drooping. I purchased replacement springs and pulled the mechanism out of the door. Now how do I remove the old springs and install the new one in the mechanism?
Thanks
You'll need to bend over three (as I recall - three) tabs and remove the plate from the mechanism. You really need to heat the tab up red hot and bend it while still hot. Otherwise, it is most likely to break off.
Inside the mechanism, the springs are held in place by pretty much the same method as described earlier. R&R.

Did you get the spring for the remote latch? As long as "you're in there" I strongly suggest you replace that one too.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
bill3337

Do you have free play in the handle mechanism? Sometimes over the years, the shaft gets twisted from people cranking it too hard. If you don't have any free play in the mechanism the springs won't help. Mine were twisted, so I just "untwisted" them and they've been fine ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6474.jpg (75.3 KB, 30 views)
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Track T-4

Kube: What is the remote latch you are referring to? I was only replacing the big spring for the door latch, is there another?

bill3337: I don't think the shaft is twisted. Actually not positive replacing the spring will help, just seems like sloppiness somewhere that allows the handle to droop. BTW, nice sedan, is that yours?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
bill3337

Quote:
Kube: What is the remote latch you are referring to? I was only replacing the big spring for the door latch, is there another?

bill3337: I don't think the shaft is twisted. Actually not positive replacing the spring will help, just seems like sloppiness somewhere that allows the handle to droop. BTW, nice sedan, is that yours?
Yes, mine.......well actually my wife's, but i built it.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
r_reed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
if you do take the latch apart you will probably find some wear surfaces that are making the latch sloppy. as i remember, we added some weld and the ground some cogs back in shape, and got rid of the sag. there are some good threads on how to do all of this either on this site of Ford Truck Enthusiast. do a search?
East Glenville NY
r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
19Fordy

The remote latch mechanism mentioned by KUBE is at the end of the arm that attaches to your door latch and acts as a pivot point for operating the door mechanism.
It looks something like this:
http://www.earlyfordstore.com/produc...oducts_id/9817
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
4tcoupe

Quote:

I don't know about other years, but on my forty, the 1/4" square shaft on the handle was worn off on the corners where it entered the square hole in the inner mechanism. I built up the worn spots with a dab of weld metal, ground/filed it back to square, and it worked fine. also found one that the shaft was broke and welded on a length of 1/4" square key stock clocked to match old, cut to length, and it worked as good as new. This also restores all lost motion when turning handle, back to 90 degrees. This is assuming the return spring is in good condition. Don't know why the shaft wears out before the hole, but the car is 75 years old. I have picked up a lot of original handles at swap meets and most of them have this same problem. Just saying it worked for me.
4tcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
terry

I also did what Bill 33 suggested. The handles on a 48 pickup drooped And i just twisted them. The handles did not look twisted before i did this, so I wouldn't say that I was untwisting them. i am talking about the shaft here...not the handle itself. Thought that I might break the shaft, but it twisted easily. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Track T-4

Thanks everyone for the feedback. After taking another look I think "r reed" and "4tcoupe" might be onto my particular problem. I originally thought the springs might be the problem. But the slop in the mechanism that allows the handle to droop appears to be caused by rounding of the square holes in the mechanism that the shaft goes through. The shaft does not appear to be twisted. I attached a photo to try to show how the hole is rounded. Guess I'll have to try to find someone who can add some weld metal and then file it square again. Are repops of these mechanisms available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6500 (002).jpg (37.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
51 MERC-CT

All the 'droopy' door handles I have corrected were done by holding the tip of the square shaft in a vice and twisting the shaft in the appropriate direction with a big adjustable wrench.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
terry

Your picture definitely shows the problem. And it was probably mine and 51 MERCs also.The twisting will level the handles, but give a little free play before you feel the door open. I'm assuming the doors still open. Granted, there may come a time when things get worse and a more long term solution is needed. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Zeke3

I had a droopy front door handle on my 37. I replaced the door latch and it fixed it. I had thought about replacing the spring in the latch, but decided to go with a whole new latch. They show up on E-bay every once in a while or you could place a wanted add in the Swap meet section on here.

The hole you showed in the picture looks like it is part of the housing, not the part that rotates when you turn the handle. I don't think welding up that hole will help you any.
Zeke3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Your picture definitely shows the problem. And it was probably mine and 51 MERCs also.The twisting will level the handles, but give a little free play before you feel the door open. I'm assuming the doors still open. Granted, there may come a time when things get worse and a more long term solution is needed. Terry
Twisting the shaft does not give any free play because the handle is held in the direction of opening by gravity.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #15
Track T-4

Twisting the shaft sounds like a possibility. I'll give it a try.

BTW, I've hunted all over for new outside door handles and everyone is out of stock with no ETA known. Appears they are made in China? Haven't checked the availability of new latch mechanisms, some are listed but are pretty pricey.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
bill3337

Quote:
Twisting the shaft sounds like a possibility. I'll give it a try.

BTW, I've hunted all over for new outside door handles and everyone is out of stock with no ETA known. Appears they are made in China? Haven't checked the availability of new latch mechanisms, some are listed but are pretty pricey.
If you end up needing them, I have some exterior handles and NOS latches. I'd want $50.00 plus shipping for the latch, maybe $20 plus shipping (could be combined) for the handle.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
Track T-4

Bill3337,

Attached are photos of my driver side door latch. Is this what your latches look like? The vendor ads show latches that are very different.

I am interested in your latches and handles.
Do you have an email address I can use to correspond?

Thanks,
Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6501 (002).jpg (53.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6510.jpg (52.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
bill3337

Quote:
Bill3337,

Attached are photos of my driver side door latch. Is this what your latches look like? The vendor ads show latches that are very different.

I am interested in your latches and handles.
Do you have an email address I can use to correspond?

Thanks,
Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Here's a photo of the latch and handle. I can send more on email. My email is [email protected] I also have NOS passenger side and additional handles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2501.jpg (64.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2502.jpg (36.1 KB, 7 views)