Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
tomscott

Default Engine built in 1934

I was able to get a strong running A engine. I checked the engine # with the year of build chart. It says the engine was built in 1934. Also says it has a Model B camshaft and tappets. Is this so? What other differences would there be in that year build. Did Ford put this engine in autos of that year or is it an industrial engine. Anyone have any info?
Thanks Tom
tomscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Engine built in 1934

Is it a "diamond" engine?

Pix upside down.

More discussion of the later industrial "diamond" motors at http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...diamond+engine

Joe K
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
tomscott

I will look tonight. Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscott View Post
I was able to get a strong running A engine. I checked the engine # with the year of build chart. It says the engine was built in 1934. Also says it has a Model B camshaft and tappets. Is this so? What other differences would there be in that year build. Did Ford put this engine in autos of that year or is it an industrial engine. Anyone have any info?
Thanks Tom
It would have been a replacement engine for dealers to use in 1928-31 Fords or used for industrial applications. Engines for autos from 1932-34 would have needed a fuel pump due to the location of the gas tank in the rear. The engines with fuel pumps (and a few other minor improvements) were designated Model B engines.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
tomscott

could not find diamond on it anywhere
thanks
tom
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
springerpete

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If it is a diamond engine the diamond will be just to the rear of the timing gear cover low on the block on the carb side of the engine. It means a Rouge plant engine. Another thing to look for is a raised letter and number cast in the block down low on the carb side as well. Example B 7 4 would indicate February 7th 1934. Hope this helps.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
fords

Interesting - are these Diamond B model engines rare and highly collectable?
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
Joe K

Not so rare and not so collectable - but thought by those in the hobby as Ford's "improvement" in the Model A/Model B universe.

When worn out they're still just a worn out Model A engine. But with no numbers as criteria and given a diamond block or a regular block of equal condition to choose to rebuild - most hobbyists will give preference to the diamond block. And this on the basis of generally beefier castings.

Also, part of this may be the "part time" application of a lot of diamond blocks. Today they tend to be less driven into the ground when they are found. Its not unusual for a diamond block to surface and be simply cosmetically upgraded for use in an automobile.

But that supply won't last forever either.

Then it will be on to the German G28 engines? These are like a diamond block on steroids. But were also assembled using metric threads? So they're starting to become a different animal altogether.

Others can probably name the improvements of each of these.

Joe K
Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
RonC

When exactly did Model A production cease? Wasn't it March-April 1932? I think 1932 Model B cars started in March. So some 1932 dated Model A engines were not replacements but furnished installed.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
tomscott

I installed this engine in my 31 huckster van. It runs very well. I did not find a diamond mark on it. During my research I could not find many differences of an engine built in 34 compared to 28 - 31. Anyone out there know of any other changes made?
Thanks
Tom
Old 04-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

32-34's had a fuel pump, diff dist, camshaft, carb, intake and exhaust manifolds, heads, block, crank, rods, etc, etc.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

But didn't Ford continue to build 'A' (not 'B') engines up to 1940 or later for industrial and farm use, plus for replacements in A and AA vehicles?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
But didn't Ford continue to build 'A' (not 'B') engines up to 1940 or later for industrial and farm use, plus for replacements in A and AA vehicles?
This is from Steve's Model A engine Study

This is Steve's site http://www.plucks329s.org/
Old 04-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #14
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
When exactly did Model A production cease? Wasn't it March-April 1932? I think 1932 Model B cars started in March. So some 1932 dated Model A engines were not replacements but furnished installed.
Model A production ''101''; production was really winding down during 1931, this was the Depression. Ford was in the red .
Engine assembly stopped sometime in mid '31? [ they stock piled engines] plus Ford started to close some assembly plants due to low sales.
[Yes, they did continue to produce some T,A & B engines up to the War for service & non car use.] Dealers still had cars & significantly trucks/commercials & they were sold into early 1932, until the B & V8 came out around April '32.
These had the 1931 Model A engine. The B engine began production late '31, but not used until the first B's were released when the V8 was ready, not before.
No Model A's came new with a B engine, except some truck/commercial production from Ford Dagenham [UK] after A/AA had ended in the US.
These were a mix of A/AA & B/BB commercial types, something like what happened in Russia with the Gaz trucks.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 04-17-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #15
DougVieyra

Ford made 4-cylinder engines for the 1934 Ford Automobile, and trucks. Generally for fleet orders. One (I've had two) of My 1934 4-door sedans originally had a 4-cylinder (Model C)* engine. For this 4-cylinder engine to fit into the engine compartment, it need a host of special items, from exhaust manifold to rear and front engine mounts, timing gear cover, etc. Additionally, because of the rear slanting radiator, it needed a very short water-pump.
With some continuing improvements, the Ford 4-cylinder remained in both the USA production and Russian production (USSR) into the 1940's (Think GAZ).
*Please, no "howls" about "That ain't no such thing as a Model 'C' engine". That is for another discussion.
- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, CA
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #16
tomscott

It looks like I have 1 of only 560 A engines produced in 1934. I got this engine from a man whose Dad had an oil and gas company. His Dad was going to use it on a gas well bailing machine but never used it. It sat in a barn loft for many years.
Thanks for all the info
Tom