Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
joltesvig

Default Hand throttle rod

It's the Model A rookie again. Now I would like to know about my hand throttle rod. My hand throttle rod is too long and interferes with the starter push rod.

The original rod fell off on day 1 after I bought my 31 Coupe...fell off on the road and lost.

The new rod is 6.0 inches long. When I got it in the mail, I put it on and I could see it was longer than needed AND it interfered with the starter push rod. So I did some 'field engineering'...that is, I bent the rod so it was shorter and clears the starter push rod.

I has been working ok but I don't like it all bent up that way...that's not what Henry had in mind! Other Model As I have seen have a straight rod with no interferance at the starter push rod.

Anybody know why my 31 Coupe is different? What changes could I make so that a standard 6" rod will fit right?
joltesvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Hand throttle rod

How much too long is it? Maybe you can loosen the upper and lower steering column clamps and rotate the tube some. Of course this will also affect the spark advance rod.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
RonC

How long is the rod? The rod should be 5 7/8" center to center
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Larry Seemann

Amazingly enough there were some '31's that came from the factory that way. I have a May '31 flat firewall coupe that way and I have a friend with a May '31 flat firewall coupe the same way. I think there is something in the service bulletins that tells dealers to bend the throttle linkage rod to clear the starter rod. It's been several years since I researched this, but that's my recollection. For some reason that I don't recall it was just during that time frame. Maybe someone else remembers.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
joltesvig

A 5 inch throttle rod would work fine if it weren't for the starter push rod in the way. I'll check into the steering column tube rotation idea to see if that helps. Anybody else got a bent throttle rod to clear the starter push rod or just me?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
700rpm

Post a picture if you can.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Bob-A

Angry Re: Hand throttle rod

Oh' yeah....I've got a bent throttle rod on a '29 roadster I bought that was suppose to be completely restored! {Which is a story in itself} The problem is the bent arms on the throttle assemblies where the throttle, carb., and spark rods go. I have had to bend, rebend and re-rebend the arms on the throttle/accellerator assemblies on more then one "A". To try and get the proper distance for the particular rod. This also usually entails bolting, unbolting and then re-bolting the assemblies on to the back of the motor block via the removal of the floor boards. For somebody who is 6 ft and over 225 lbs. this ain't exactly what I would call "fun", especially when it deals with a '28-'29 roadster!
Twisting the steering column helps sometimes, but most times the problem is with the throttle/accellerator linkage assemblies. Have fun......

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
joltesvig

Per Mr. 700RPM's request, I attach a photo of my "field engineered" throttle rod. She's a humdinger, isn't she? I'll try rotating the steering tube but the 6" standard rod length will still be about a whole inch too long unless the tube rotation makes an inch difference. If not, I'll consider removing the floorboards and get into the other method of fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hand Throttle Rod.jpg (68.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
John S

That don't look right at all. How does that even work? It should go up to a linkage arm that looks like it's missing.
I just looked at the pic again and I think that the arm is there but bent down?

Last edited by John S; 08-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
MAG

Do you guys think that the hole for the pin in the Hand Throttle Rod could be drilled in the wrong place causing the Control Rod Arm to be too far toward the engine? On my cars with the Hand Throttle all the way up the Control Rod Arm is pointing outward. Almost touching the Spark Control area.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltesvig View Post
Per Mr. 700RPM's request, I attach a photo of my "field engineered" throttle rod. She's a humdinger, isn't she? I'll try rotating the steering tube but the 6" standard rod length will still be about a whole inch too long unless the tube rotation makes an inch difference. If not, I'll consider removing the floorboards and get into the other method of fixing.

The throttle control linkage looks like it is bent down???
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
mot

to me ,it looks like the end at the steering column fell off first ,and the loose end jammed when you stepped on the gas ,and you bent the linkage back
heres a view where it should go
I think you just have to bend the black throttle linkage forward until it looks like my picture
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (37.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (39.3 KB, 85 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
700rpm

It looks from your picture like your throttle linkage is haywire. Compare the relative positions of the linkage arms in your photo and mot's photos. I wouldn't mess with the steering column; you aren't going to gain the clearance you need, based on what the photo shows.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
joltesvig

Thanks guys. Using your great information I went out and looked at it again. I think you are right that the hand throttle lever on the steering column should be more parallel to the spark lever. Then too the linkage off the rear of the engine looks screwed-up (my words... you all are very kind!). The little bellcrank which hooks on to my 6" link is stamped out of sheet metal so I think I can just bent it up to get clearance over the top of the starter push rod. If I do that, it looks as if a new, straight link rod should fit. Unless... you see some problem with bending the sheet metal bellcrank up about an inch or so?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Here are some more pictures of the linkage that may help you to straighten yours.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
joltesvig

Tom, thank you so much for sending these amazing photos. I think I see my problem. My bellcrank is stamped out of sheet metal so it's likely an aftermarket replacement part? Your photo shows a beautiful forged or cast bellcrank which is probably what came out of the Ford factory. It appears that your ball connection (which will attach to the 6" link rod) reaches up considerably higher than my sheet metal jobby. S--o-o-o-o I think I will try bending it up to try it with a 6" straightened link rod for clearance. And I can start looking for a bellcrank like you have for my permanent fix, and, if it fits good, I just chuck the sheet metal jobby. BTW Tom, awesome paint job on your linkages...looks like your doing a 1st class job there!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
John S

The one in Tom's pic looks like the early style throttle linkage that used forged arms. The later style linkage used stampings in place of the forgings. It sounds like you have the later style. They both bolt up and work the same.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote