Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2024, 01:05 PM   #61
petehoovie

Default Re: Interesting bore dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I think ol Woodie will like its new powerplant too. Keep in mind that if the transmission hadn't developed issues, we'd still be rolling along with my overhauled 221 replacement block engine. Like you can see, I did not have the flywheel surfaced and that, along with used motor mounts made the rig shake and shudder when trying to ease into forward motion on my hill. With the added torque, good flywheel and new mounts I would think that rebuilding the standard 3 speed will be adequate. However, a T-5 should be pretty straightforward with this open driveline

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:14 PM   #62
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
The short pump was the last, best, design from Ford. It should have helical gears in it that makes for a more efficient pump. It is such a popular pump to use in all flathead rebuilds that new copies of the short body pump are still made today by Mellings. It looks like the pickup tube on the pump is the correct one for a truck pan. It is easy to check, slide the pump into an empty flathead block and set the truck pan without the clean out plate on top. The pickup cup should line up with the clean out opening.

Keep the pictures coming, this is kinda fun.
I continue to gather parts. I know I have a big crate of water pumps but they evade me. What do I need to do for that short body pump before I can use it? I have set it in place and the 'tuna can' centers on the big cleanout hole. It does seem to be about an inch above the floor of the pan. Does that seem like a lot? I don't recall much about the aluminum seal retainer for the truck pan. Does anybody have a picture of one so I know what I'm looking for.? And are these only used in truck pans?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:58 AM   #63
38 coupe

I don't remember the distance between the pickup and the oil pan. If nothing looks bent or changed in any way I suspect it will be fine.
Edit: Bored&Stroked provided better information about pickup to pan distance in the next post. Please disregard my advice on this one.

Your engine gasket set should include the oil pump cover gasket. I would take the pump apart, clean everything, and inspect for damage. Sometimes the inside of the cover needs to be lapped flat again.

As far as the aluminum seal holder, there was a very complete pdf showing all the different bell housings and matching parts several years ago. PDF pages 30 and 31 (images 029 and 030) show the aluminum part and how it assembles with everything else. The Wayback Machine (internet archive) still has it and hopefully this link works: https://web.archive.org/web/20160318...ellhousing.pdf

Last edited by 38 coupe; 01-14-2024 at 11:25 AM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #64
Bored&Stroked

You want the "Tuna Can" to be about 3/16" to 1/4" above the bottom of the oil pan. I've modified original pickups and cut/welded them to get them where I want. Also, found that Speedway had one I could purchase for about $25 that is dang close to what I need for the later short-body pump running in a 59x with a stock 59x pan.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Tube,4289.html
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:54 PM   #65
GB SISSON

Thanks for today's input guys! That wayback PDF has a lot to digest and not sure still what goes with what. There should be an aluminum seal plate on that 8rt engine that is not fully disassembled yet. I recently found a stamped steel bellhousing and I think I now have 3 cast iron ones. I also uncovered a recess stamped starter plate, will get a pic. I think I will weld up an extension tube to get the tuna can down low. I remember seeing them in the past from under the car and they were way closer than my 1".
I have been back to visit my 85 yr old machinest friend who's been selling off his tools. I now have a nice starrett telescopic gauge and starrett mic set along with a mitoyu dial caliper, new in a sealed box. Along with this purchase I was given free instruction in their use and care. I am now able to better to measure bores along with the dial bore gauge I bought from him last month. I ordered diamond dressers for my valve seat grinder and the valve surfacer and enjoying getting to know that process. Having this heated space for tinkering has been a godsend. There is a space about 5' long along one wall where an Atlas Clausing 100 series 12 x 36 lathe just might end up in a few weeks. I am anything BUT a machinest, but I seem to have a never ending lust for knowledge and the price is looking right. Ok back down to the shop to feed that hungry wood stove and dig for parts!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:20 PM   #66
cas3

All good news ! every growing boy needs a lathe to play with, good for you!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:53 AM   #67
Bonus Built Acres

Hey Gary, Nice collection of engines and parts there, you can never have too many parts when you start trying to put something together! keep up the good work and I always enjoy your projects and threads!
1945 Ford GPW (buried in the garage)
1953 C-600 MH, 1951 F2 MH, 1951 F3 MH
2 Kids, 3 Dogs, only 1 Wife!
Bonus Built Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:36 PM   #68
38 coupe

You have to be careful with machine tools, they can get as distracting as old Fords!
Old 01-16-2024, 10:36 PM   #69
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
You have to be careful with machine tools, they can get as distracting as old Fords!
Honestly I have been very afraid of what will most likely happen. Flathead Fords have been in my life for over 35 years, but there have been some strange and disturbing 'sub obsessions' over the years. 28 antique Briggs and Stratton engines from 'Smith Motor Wheels' and way too many of the letter series models with overhead valves/exposed rockers etc, 8 Sears David Bradley walk behind tractors, most of the implements etc, Hit n Miss engines for 15 years where I would tear these rusted hulks completely apart and rebuild and never quit until I was truly happy with the perfect idle and coast. I'm a sick puppy. Hoping to go to Seattle on Thursday to look at a couple lathes I've enquired about. Maybe I should get both as I will surely need parts. Is there a 'roll-eyes' imogee here?
Old 01-17-2024, 02:28 PM   #70
Bored&Stroked

Always better to have at least '2 of everything'! LOL
Old 01-17-2024, 09:18 PM   #71
GB SISSON

Last weekend we had a rare 5 degree spell. Today it was 6" of snow. I cancelled my Seattle trip and hope to finish insulating the walls in my engine shop tomorrow. So much accumulated junk to take down and insulate behind and put back up. I'm 2/3 done and a huge difference. The woodstove is no longer running at WOT. Good idea Skip!
Old 01-18-2024, 08:23 AM   #72
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
All good news ! every growing boy needs a lathe to play with, good for you!
This is the one he needs right here Bud!........Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FD3DFA73-1927-4652-A6ED-9CB3196523F4.jpg (48.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 64C6612E-D1C2-45A3-9274-8F2AE4713FE8.jpg (49.6 KB, 156 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:09 AM   #73
Als48

Wow, Flatford!

Are those 3 Ford Transmissions hanging up there? Lotsa weight.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:05 PM   #74
cas3

And now class, your home work assignment is to write down all possible final output gear ratios in order.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM   #75
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
This is the one he needs right here Bud!........Mark

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:51 PM   #76
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post
Wow, Flatford!

Are those 3 Ford Transmissions hanging up there? Lotsa weight.

Al Hook
When these pics were first posted, I think the group decided the one on the far right was a V8-60. It may have been for sale? Not sure about that. I bet Gary has enough transmissions on the hill to make something like this......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:33 PM   #77
GB SISSON

Gosh, I'm late to the party.... Been insulating since 6 am. Just came in for hot lunch. So, was that built as a joke? As noted, the trannys don't seem well supported or braced. Not sure I'd wanna be standing under them when they are taking a 1/2" cut in compound, compound, compound. I have to admit, I love the shifters. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!".....
Old 01-19-2024, 12:29 PM   #78
sidevalve8ba

Reminds me of an old Mack dump truck with a Tri-plex transmission.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:34 PM   #79
Bored&Stroked

Try 'speed shifting' that dude . .
Old 01-20-2024, 07:57 AM   #80
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
And now class, your home work assignment is to write down all possible final output gear ratios in order.
Not in order, but how about table format? I needed something quiet to do before my wife woke up. I assumed the most common 60 hp and 85 hp ratios.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lathe_ratios.pdf (56.7 KB, 20 views)