Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
3949tl

Default 40 business coupe headliner

Is there a difference between the headliner on a 40 coupe ( with package shelf ) VS. a business coupe with jump seats? I’m referring to the back of the headliner below the rear window and the length of the material past the rear 2 side bows. Thanks!
3949tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 40 business coupe headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3949tl View Post
Is there a difference between the headliner on a 40 coupe ( with package shelf ) VS. a business coupe with jump seats? I’m referring to the back of the headliner below the rear window and the length of the material past the rear 2 side bows. Thanks!
If what you really want to know is can you use a business coupe liner in a coupe, yes, you can. There is enough material to do so.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:15 PM   #3
3949tl

Actually, I’m going to order a headliner for a business coupe and am trying to avoid any confusion between the two styles. So can a coupe headliner fit in a business coupe- ( the opposite of your response ) ?
Hope that’s clear enough. Thanks much.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
Kube

I'd suggest you order the headliner for your model. If the place you are ordering from does not know the difference of models, well, they wouldn't be making anything for me.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
19Fordy

Will the photos in Post #5 help?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...coupe+interior

Read this link very carefully and pay special attention to posts 17 and 18. It is also possible that the folks who did this interior came up with their own design for the headliner "drop down" when installing jump seats.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...coupe+interior
Perhaps a Fordbarner with the OEM photos of what you need to see will post them.

3949tl: Look here and contact the people who posted to see if they have original photos.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...nterior&page=4

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-20-2023 at 04:51 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #6
3949tl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the input. No confusion about the car itself. It is a business coupe. Was all original when I bought it about 4 years ago. Your advice about making certain the supplier knows the difference is spot on. That’s the reason for my post and concern. I’ll make sure whomever I deal with convinces me they are aware of the difference. Thanks again for your time.
P.S. I’m the type who likes to dot all the I’s and cross all the T’s before proceeding.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
19Fordy

3949tl: Perhaps the AACA members in your area will be putting on a car show which will
allow you to see an original coupe interior.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:01 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3949tl View Post
Thanks for the input. No confusion about the car itself. It is a business coupe. Was all original when I bought it about 4 years ago. Your advice about making certain the supplier knows the difference is spot on. That’s the reason for my post and concern. I’ll make sure whomever I deal with convinces me they are aware of the difference. Thanks again for your time.
P.S. I’m the type who likes to dot all the I’s and cross all the T’s before proceeding.
I've restored a number of coupes; both models. I can't imagine nor recall anything that would hinder using the liner from one model to the next.
Am I forgetting something?
Old 08-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
19Fordy

Mike: No, you're not forgetting anything. However, it would be great if we could obtain a set of LB instructions for their 2B interior kit and compare it to their 2A kit as described below.

When I ordered the LB complete interior 2A kit in 1982, for my solid front seat 5 window coupe (Model 01A-77B) with package tray, the price was less than the LB interior kit for the 1940 Business Coupe, Model 01A-67B that had the small "opera seats".

I think I paid a total of about $550 back in 1982. Perhaps the photos below will be of some help. I hope a Fordbarner owning a coupe Model 01A-67B will post clarifying photos to clarify what the 2B kit installation looks like.

I still have the LB instructions from when my 2A kit when it arrived in 1982.
Notice LB lists the two interior kits separately with the Business Coupe interior costing more.
Photo 1: Notice kits are labeled as 2A and 2B, (indicating there is a difference between the two?).
Photo 2: The 2A kit is for my car Model 01A-77B with package tray and no split front seat. The 2B kit is for the Business coupe with split front seat and "opera seats". As has been pointed out many times before, Ford Motor Company never officially named any coupe an opera coupe.
Photo 3: LB pictorial
Photo 4: LB pictorial showing 2 differing pictorials.
Photo 5: LB letter explaining vinyl pebble grained package tray covering use. Vinyl cloth was developed in the 1920's so it would be interesting to know if Henry Ford or his vendors ever used it in for covering package shelf interiors.

If you have an OEM stock 40 please post photos of what's behind the front split seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4909.jpg (60.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4918.jpg (39.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4921.jpg (36.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4923.jpg (54.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4914.jpg (38.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-20-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:52 PM   #10
Kube

The kits were different as the side panels and rear panel were very much different between the models. The liner itself has to be darn near the same. Perhaps more material to trim on one vs. the other?
That vinyl that LB supplied was due to the fact they couldn't get the cardboard with the proper grain finish. I recall speaking to Wendie at LB at the time. I miss her
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100592.JPG (152.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-20-2023, 07:57 PM   #11
19Fordy

Thanks, Kube, for the additional info.