Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Dutie

Default Signal Lights !!!!

Got this little roadster of Dads runnin pretty good thanks to the help from this Forum. Gonna venture a little further this year with the wife to some antique car shows should the weather cooperate, maybe some 30 to 50 miles or so. Before we head out I have some good time to install some signal lights, ordered these LED Logolytes today and seems simple enough. Daytime drives with hand signals are not too bad but when it gets dark NOT GOOD ! Has anyone had experience with these. Any and all replies are certainly welcome and thanks in advance...... Dutie
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Signal Lights !!!!

No problems w/LOGO's after 10 years.

Like bumper locations, i.e., out front in "front" of headlights & and standing out in the rear "beyond" break & tail lights.

Lenses are also not flat, but protrude so one can see sides of signal lenses from either the right or left side.

Observe actual examples of the differences at night from a distance with other signal lights, like cowl lights which are "behind" headlights to see which you prefer.

Some will always have different preferences and opinions.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-21-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
mike657894

I swapped my parking lights out in my headlights. not sure if all models had the dual bulbs in the reflectors but if your does it doesn't change the look of the front from stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfu9EfRDcqY
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
TerryH

I would caution against using hand signals at anytime. Most folks driving today never learned or used hand signals, so conventional wisdom seems to be using turn signals at all times.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I would caution against using hand signals at anytime. Most folks driving today never learned or used hand signals, so conventional wisdom seems to be using turn signals at all times.
Looked up for IL, they still teach it - right out of the 2016 hand book:

SIGNALING:

In a business or residential area you must give a continuous turn signal for at least
100 feet before turning. In other areas, the signal must be given at least 200 feet
before turning. Drivers may signal in two ways:
• Electrical turn signals — Apply the right turn signal for a right turn and the left
turn signal for a left turn.
• Hand and arm signals — Should be given with your left arm. For a right turn, the
hand and arm are extended straight up. For a left turn, the hand and arm are extended
straight out to the left. To slow down or stop, the hand and arm are extended down.

There is a series of 3 pictures showing hand signals right under this too.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have never heard a bad word about the lights you have chosen.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
gweilbaker

People today are use to seeing large in your face lights, the logos are small in comparison, and in certain situations hard to see. I recommend also using the third light either at the window, spare tire or trunk area. This is from observations following cars with them.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
aermotor

I like my Logo Lights but I do plan to also install the Brake Lighter third light in the back window. Only complaint is that the chirper is not loud enough. A lot of people in the South seem to believe that a hand signal is a one finger salute which is also very dangerous.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
JDupuis

Some drivers may not understand your arm signals. But they certainly see those finger signals even on modern cars. Jeff
Old 01-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
HoarseWhisperer

When on tour, I just wish people that have installed after market turn-signals, would remember to turn them off when completing the turn. They don't seem to turn off automatically and it becomes a guessing game; are they turning or not?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
VFRhugh

My children gave my a set of Logo Lites for Christmas this year. Best present ever👍
VFRhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. Dutie,

As far as just one opinion on Model A Life Safety concerns, FWIW:

1. On my 1930 Briggs Town Sedan, in addition to LOGO signal lights, like many others, (similar to more modern cars), I also have the third (3rd) horizontal rear window brake light that comes on when brakes are applied, e.g., that many younger drivers are used to observing today.

2. Then even though it may be legal or may be illegal, tucked inside a custom formed horizontal 3" x 3" x 3" galvanized sheet metal channel, (painted black), securely attached under my rear metal trunk, which sits on top of my rear bumpers:

A. I have several LED small motorcycle type red running LED lights that come on with my tail lights; and,

B. Also, when I press my brake pedal, (day or night, with lights on or off), some of these motorcycle type small red LED lights are wired to flash on and off at any adjusted flashing speed desired. Noticed often that flashing lights usually puts any driver in the alert mode more than lights that do not blink.

3. After being most severely rear ended twice at night, a few years ago, by two of our local drugged, modern day inner city type thug drivers, with both having NO driver's license, NO license plates, NO mandatory vehicle inspection stickers, NO legal auto titles, NO auto insurance, both attempted Hit & Run, and both had NO jobs & both were totally broke while driving formerly abandoned junked cars .... I figured being rear ended by a high speed driver in a 1930 Briggs wood bodied Model A Town Sedan, while having family rear seat passengers, could cause either passenger hospitalization and/or funeral services.

4. If these rear running lights or rear blinking lights are illegal, I'll gladly pay any fine many times to prevent being severely rear ended with hurt passengers again; however, never been stopped or rear ended in 10 years.

5. In the end, different Model A owners/drivers will always have different thoughts on providing different type Model A lights and signals for night driving safety ..... and some safety thoughts and opinions will naturally be based on "actual" past experiences.

Hope this helps anyone considering Life Safety features for lives of family members in an 85+ year old vehicle not designed for high speed collisions.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-22-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
russcochiolo

Here are a couple of recent photos. I have the first generation LogoLights and am very pleased with them.
The third light was made with a right side unit on a homemade bracket. I've thought of installing one of those blinky modulators but have not gone any further.
6 volt alternator, leds and halogen headlights. Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3155.jpg (94.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3157.jpg (88.2 KB, 174 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

One other simple, "Safety" advantage to "ANY" types of LED signal lights, (that are wired to also flash as hazard lights), is if stranded for a spell in snow, or after running out of gas far from a station, or experiencing a roadside break down, and/or what ever ................. four (4) LED blinking lights will not run a battery down as fast and will continue to blink brightly and longer than that of four (4) Non-LED blinking lights.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-22-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
jm29henry

Love my logo lights I Have them on my Briggs four door
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Terry, I just took my Grandson down for his driving test and they do indeed ask them to demonstrate hand signals before even starting the car.

Now as to IF people actually USE hand or light signals is another question altogether...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcochiolo View Post
Here are a couple of recent photos. I have the first generation LogoLights and am very pleased with them.
The third light was made with a right side unit on a homemade bracket. I've thought of installing one of those blinky modulators but have not gone any further.
6 volt alternator, leds and halogen headlights. Russ
Ah, Now I know what you guys are talking about. I have similar turn indicators on the back of my Phaeton but to "make them bigger", I made a C shape out of shiny stainless steel so that it acted like a reflector, sending more light backward. People have commented how well it works.
I also have a LED third brake light which is so bright that I have had people say they still have black spots if front of their eyes a week later!!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #18
Dutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
People today are use to seeing large in your face lights, the logos are small in comparison, and in certain situations hard to see. I recommend also using the third light either at the window, spare tire or trunk area. This is from observations following cars with them.
Thanks gweilbaker......that is exactly what I have planned, I am also currently running LED for tail and stop in my two stock lights. thanks again Dutie
Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Dutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
When on tour, I just wish people that have installed after market turn-signals, would remember to turn them off when completing the turn. They don't seem to turn off automatically and it becomes a guessing game; are they turning or not?
Not a problem here HoarseWhisperer, my wife is my auto shutoff never fails Dutie
Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
Dutie

To H L Chauvin, sorry to here of your rear endings, there will always be wingnuts on the road. I totally agree you can never have enough rear flash in your face whether night or day. Glad your still with us Dutie