Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #41
itslow

Default Re: Engine Stand... I dont see how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Much of the problem is also the quality of the engine stand. Using a poorly designed $99.00 Horror Freight engine stand,as well as many others.All this only complicates the stress on the engine contact points. Some of the members should take their engine stands and see how much difference there is in being flush when tightened up not on an engine and then setting the head on a steel plate and you would be surprised how out of whack there cheap engine stands really are.You won't find any 99.00 stands used in a quality machine shop.Fabricate a 1/2" steel plate that has the bolt pattern drilled to match the bolt pattern and throw away the original cheap arms.This provides much more surface area for contact.
The issue stems from the stress concentrations that are put on the bellhousing at the (4) fastener locations. That will be the same regardless of whether it's a $99 HF stand or a $999 NASCAR engine builder certified stand. The slop that's present in the pivot mechanism on the cheap stand is irrelevant.

Utilizing a plate that spans the entire bellhousing face and fastens to all of the bolt holes will help to reduce the stress at head fastener by spreading across a larger number (area). That's the route to go, regardless of the quality of the actual stand, when bolting from the bellhousing.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Ronnie

The problem is multiplied when the stand head has poor quality control and lacks good assembly tolerances.If you read my post carefully I state " this only complicates the stress on the engine contact points". That is all I said.Nothing about slop in mechanisim.
I am referring to all arms being the same dimensions and tolerances. which is not the case in many cheap stands.I have no problems with your statement about stress concentrations when all other tolerances are adhered to.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #43
Binx

We'll I agree a 59 motor may hang static indefinitely on the bellhousing, but you can't tell me you'd feel comfortable bouncing 8BA valves out of it during a tear down or knocking out stuck pistons.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Shadetree

A good friend of mine has a `48-`50 F-1 he bought for a song. It was to be a father-son project. They had hung the engine on an engine stand and it broke the bell housing. My friend put a 302 in it and uses it for a beater.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #45
Ronnie

A 48 f150 has an 8ba in it

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote