Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Something let go in the tranny

Youll need a lathe with a 4 jaw independent chuck for adjustment... 3 jaw universals are inherently inaccurate... so with that you need to start at a known accurate point which I used the inside bore and gear running faces as "accurate". Talk to your machinist pal; he'll explain that the runout measured from 3-9 o'clock is the X axis, 6-12 is the Y axis and the bore centered to the whole shebang is the Z axis is. Accuracy is pretty critical at this point. Without fixturing, and a granite surface block to measure from, youll have to trust that the factory had and maintained the XYZ part. So now, yer lathe guy withdraws the indicator with the carriage on the machine and mechanically moves it to the ring gear flange. At this point he'll measure the X-Y difference and that's the runout on that part. If you are in fact out .012" he'll take a skim cut and true it up. If its good, like
<.005" Id let it go, but that's your call .000" is best. If he doesn't want to cut or grind the finish true, at least take a stone and swipe the face for upsets around the bolt holes. The lathe guy will concur. ws

Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #42
Will N

Default Re: Something let go in the tranny

Well, after spending the winter restoring the rear end, and putting in the last cotter pin about two weeks ago, I took it out for the first ride of spring today. It was about 60 here this PM and sunny, nice day for a drive. Surprising the heck out of me, it started on the first pull after not running at all since mid September! After going about 100 feet, I learned that the whining that I thought had been coming from the transmission ever since I got her was actually coming from the rear end all along! What a difference, quiet as can be! The torque tube clearly transmits the noise from the rear end all the way forward so you think it's coming from under your feet. That's why the subject of this thread is "something let go in the tranny" rather than "my rear end blew up"

I had so much fun tearing into that rear end and putting it all back together. As I mentioned, I found that all that was left of the babbit thrust washers was about 5 oval chunks. The ring and pinion gears were completely worn out. They're hanging on the shop wall now like trophies. I used the Fun Projects pinion bearing, and of course replacing the front driveshaft bushing with the roller bearing. The U joint had lots of play in it, so that's new now. New brake cam bushings, brake rods, brake drums (the insides of the old ones had been scored from the axle movement). Hey, when I pull up the parking brake now, it actually will lock up the rear wheels!

I did have the carrier machined, and the machinist confirmed my runout measurements. Had to take about .015 off to true it up. I used the spacer between the carrier and ring gear to take up the play between it and the pinion gear. I took my time measuring the clearances, taking it apart, changing spacers, putting it back, remeasuring, etc., and if today's drive is any indication, it was worth the effort as the rear end is quiet.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)