Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 55 Ford ranch wagon water pump question.

I am trying to get my 302 engine ready so that I can install a vintage Air AC unit.I want to remove the engine fan and install a 16" electric puller fan but I have a problem.After removing the fan and spacer, I measured between the water pump snout/ water pump hub and the radiator and I only have a 2 inch space between the 2.All the electric fans that I found have a depth of at least a
depth of 2 3/4 " all the way to 4 inches. I cannot move the radiator back because of the way it seats on the body or frame. I did see one that measures only 1 7/8" but its too pricey.They want $500.00 for it.
Have any of you come across this problem that I have and maybe give me a suggestion or tip on how to take care of this problem? I found a short hub water pump for this 302 but the inlet on that water pump is on the driver side and the bottom hose connection on my radiator going to the water pump is on the passenger side. Hopefully somebody has a been trough this problem and can help. Thanks to all for your help.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 55 Ford ranch wagon water pump question.

Dimly thru the fog... do I remember something about the radiator having 2 mounting positions???
One closer to the block for V8 equipped cars, the other being farther forward for the longer 6 cyl engines...
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
poolplayer1

Thanks dmsfrr for your reply.I am trying to see if there if there is a way to modify the spot where the radiator sits and see if I some how move it back 1.5 to 2 inches.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
estout81
BANNED

Why do you want an electric fan? Use a fan off a Ford with AC.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
poolplayer1

The engine fan that I am using right now is a 6 blade fan. The tech guy at the company that is selling me the vintage air unit said that the mechanical fan will not cool the engine down enough when idling or when going down the road at low speeds,like when cruising at slow speeds. We have here in town groups that get together on friday nights and saturday nights to cruise around town at very slow speeds. Right now,without the AC in,the engine is running at 200 degrees.Imagine what its going to be running at during very slow speeds. Our ambient temperature here in town at night is between 90 and 100 degrees. During the day it runs up to 115 degrees.Its hot out here.
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
PS, The engine is completely rebuilt so there is no problem with the engine.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
estout81
BANNED

I have a '81 Fairmont with AC and a late 80's Thunderbird EFI 302 and thermostatic controlled mechanical fan that was on the engine. It has never ran hot under any conditions.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
JeffB2

Look at this illustration and at the lower right you will see the 6 cylinder sheet metal that moves the radiator and splash pan forward. To use the 1966-69 "short" 289 water pump you also need the matching pulleys guys that have done this swap will also use this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ra...e980beea6b3cfa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955.jpg (19.1 KB, 11 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
packrat5
BANNED

You know, this is really going back in my memory but, there was a forward and a rearward mounting position for the radiator. several of my friends had 55-56 fords with FE engines in them, and they did this. I thought you did it by reversing the radiator saddle, or reversing the brackets on the radiator itself. This little trick you can't do because of your "special" radiator.
On the Windsor engines, use the 4 bolt pulley setup, not the 3 bolt. Pulleys and dampers are easier to source.
Cooling is generally not an issue if YOU USE A FAN SHROUD!!! Everyone seems to ignore this basic fact. And the fan must be the correct distance in the shroud.
A clutch fan is a good idea, but use the better thermostatic controlled one, not the cheaper one.
No matter what,you will still need an electric fan to cool the condenser. It will have to run when the A/C is on. Replace the binary switch in the A/C kit with a trinary switch, and wire it in. It will then kick in as the compressor engages. You could also use the fan with an added temp switch so that it will also start when the temp rises to a preset limit.
Mount it a couple of inches in front of the condenser, and NOT AGAINST THE CONDENSER ITSELF. Like about 2 inches. The fan is not more effective at a closer distance, but likely less.
This is not rocket science, BUT, it does need a little forethought to make it work correctly.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
poolplayer1

Thanks to all for your great information and opinions here.I really appreciate this help.I will look over all tips and than decide which way to go with this project.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
frank long island

i had a vintage air system on my wagon it was running hot at low speeds changed to a 6 blade fan and installed a shroud worked great
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
Thanks to all for your great information and opinions here.I really appreciate this help.I will look over all tips and than decide which way to go with this project.
The position of the mounts can gain you additional clearance read the notes under the pictures here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-mounts.41498/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
grumppyoldman

My 55 Fairlane has AC with a 302 engine, there is a 16" pusher fan in front of radiator and 2 9" pullers in back, I have no clearance problems and doesn't run hot. Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01194.JPG (136.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01195.JPG (137.4 KB, 6 views)
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote