Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
john greco

Default New Eddie Myers’s heads question

Has any body check there squish with these heads ? 59 ab , bored .030 Ross pistons , merc 4 in crank , and I have .085 squish with no head gasket , best head gasket measures .056 , seems way to much clearance to me , don’t I need like .040 total ? That would mean I need to take like .080 off heads ?? Will those heads be able to take that much off ?
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:58 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: New Eddie Myers’s heads question

Quote:
Originally Posted by john greco View Post
Has any body check there squish with these heads ? 59 ab , bored .030 Ross pistons , merc 4 in crank , and I have .085 squish with no head gasket , best head gasket measures .056 , seems way to much clearance to me , don’t I need like .040 total ? That would mean I need to take like .080 off heads ?? Will those heads be able to take that much off ?
Are these original, Don Orosco reproductions or something else?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:11 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

John
Question the pistons are forged Ross standard bore plus and additional .030 ?
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:08 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Squish: For a street engine you'll want .040 to .045 squish (with head-gasket one).

Are you sure you have the right pistons for the crankshaft compression height?

How about posting a picture of the block/deck with a piston at TDC and also a picture of the chambers on the heads. You definitely don't want to have that amount of clearance over the pistons - so let's figure out what is wrong before you do anything. Also, how did you measure the squish?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
cadillac512

What you really need to know is how far down in the cylinder the outside edge of the piston is at tdc. If that's very far down you'll never get the quench (squish) correct. A few thous. above the deck is better.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:08 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
What you really need to know is how far down in the cylinder the outside edge of the piston is at tdc. If that's very far down you'll never get the quench (squish) correct. A few thous. above the deck is better.
Yes - that is the whole reason I mock-up a block with the crankshaft a rod and a piston pin at TDC - to figure out exactly what the compression height needs to be - then order my pistons from Ross to match. I've found this is the best way to achieve the exact quench/squish I want.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:47 PM   #7
34fordy

I remember back in the 1960s when a guy saw a pair of aluminum heads that he liked he bought them. Then he went to the parts store to get a set of head gaskets. Probably bought what the parts guy told him was best. He installed the heads without any knowledge of "squish". He was so proud of his cool looking engine. The engine ran well and he was happy. Is this scenario not possible anymore for the average guy? Do we all need to measure squish for an old stocker engine to run good enough for weekend drives?
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:24 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
I remember back in the 1960s when a guy saw a pair of aluminum heads that he liked he bought them. Then he went to the parts store to get a set of head gaskets. Probably bought what the parts guy told him was best. He installed the heads without any knowledge of "squish". He was so proud of his cool looking engine. The engine ran well and he was happy. Is this scenario not possible anymore for the average guy? Do we all need to measure squish for an old stocker engine to run good enough for weekend drives?
For most there's no reason to be concerned with squish. What you wrote about back in the 60's and the old days as well is still how its being done today by most people who just buy a set of heads bolt them on and go. There's really nothing wrong with doing that as long as checking for piston and valve clearance has been done prior to bolting a set of heads permanently.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 03-13-2024, 10:11 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

I'm a bit of a perfectionist . . . can't help myself! LOL
Old 03-13-2024, 11:39 AM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
For most there's no reason to be concerned with squish. What you wrote about back in the 60's and the old days as well is still how its being done today by most people who just buy a set of heads bolt them on and go. There's really nothing wrong with doing that as long as checking for piston and valve clearance has been done prior to bolting a set of heads permanently.
Ronnieroadster
I'm curious about what you would do after "checking for piston and valve clearance" and found, as the O/P found, you had .141" clearance over the piston. I wouldn't think to "bolt them on and go" would be the best option.

But then again, I'm a real fan of optimum quench.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:29 PM   #11
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'm curious about what you would do after "checking for piston and valve clearance" and found, as the O/P found, you had .141" clearance over the piston. I wouldn't think to "bolt them on and go" would be the best option.

You are certainly right Denny but "back in the old days" I did not know poop from putty (still don't) and probably would have installed and torqued without even checking for sufficient clearances!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
You are certainly right Denny but "back in the old days" I did not know poop from putty (still don't) and probably would have installed and torqued without even checking for sufficient clearances!
The reason I asked is that was what I did with a set of new Offenhauser heads (just bolt 'em on without checking) on a 276" Merc thirty years ago. I was never as satisfied with the power that engine produced as I am with the 255" Merc I now have in my '51. It didn't seem to run as well either, from what I remember.

There were a lot of things I didn't know back then, either.

Last edited by tubman; 03-13-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:07 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

To answer your question its simple I would do what's needed to get the clearances where I like things.
However as I wrote checking for clearance is what most guys do to determine things clear and nothing more. If there's clearance then the heads are just bolted.

Here's a couple of questions for you Tubman. That 276 inch flathead engine you wrote about which you were never satisfied with the power it produced did you change the cam in that engine to something other than stock? If the answer is yes did you check the cam timing?
Ronnieroadster
Old 03-13-2024, 03:00 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

I found many years ago that sometimes what you think is right just isn't. In my book is a chapter on checking compression, It's pretty much the same old measure the size of the stroke, add alittle something for the head gasket and combustion chamber volume (had to make a fixture for that) and your there?? Or are you?? I found there are too many variables. Now I just put the piston down about 1/4" slap on an old head gasket any pore in some colored windshield wiper fluid from a 20cc beaker and measure the amt. Then do the arithmetic. Makes a big difference, usually lower than you thought. Don't forget to raise the piston.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:42 PM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
To answer your question its simple I would do what's needed to get the clearances where I like things.
However as I wrote checking for clearance is what most guys do to determine things clear and nothing more. If there's clearance then the heads are just bolted.

Here's a couple of questions for you Tubman. That 276 inch flathead engine you wrote about which you were never satisfied with the power it produced did you change the cam in that engine to something other than stock? If the answer is yes did you check the cam timing?
Ronnieroadster
The engine was supposedly "professionally built" with an Iskendarian MAX-1 camshaft. I had assumed that everything was done properly. I picked up the completed short block and completed the assembly. Remember, this was thirty years ago, before the "Ford Barn" and what we know today. For what I paid, I expected the short block was done correctly.

What I don't understand is how this has changed from a legitimate discussion of head preparation to a discussion of cam timing. I did not check the cam timing or the squish in the heads; my bad. I have to assume that the cam was correctly ground and installed by a reputable builder. You can't second guess everything.

Let's remember the question posed by the O/P and not get side tracked by what may or may not have happened thirty years ago.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:28 PM   #16
john greco

They are new orosco heads , I did get some pics but not smart enough to know how to post them , can some help here
Old 03-13-2024, 11:47 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

These are all of John's pics that I could get to post.

Coop

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/ma...ilNorrinLaunch

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:04 AM   #18
john greco

Best I can measure is piston on edge of cylinder is .025 below the deck , thanks coopman for posting
Old 03-14-2024, 08:16 AM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by john greco View Post
Best I can measure is piston on edge of cylinder is .025 below the deck , thanks coopman for posting
John,

If that measurement is at TDC, I will defer to the experts like Ronnie, Pete, Ol' Ron and Bored & Stroke.

From the little I understand, milling the heads won't solve that. This is a piston issue.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:06 AM   #20
Ol' Ron

I noticed my post said 20cc beaker it should be a 200 cc one or measure thr chamber and use a 20cc beaker.
I think???
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote