Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
tonydennisadw

Default 1952 ford customline fuel sending unit

this is the 5th fuel ,,,, sender ive put on none work correct i wired it same as original wire from gauge to center wire from frame to frame or screw to tanlk ive read these aftermarket gauges for 50 bucks are junk.....im temped to reverse the wires but i sure dont want any arc sparking or overheating in that area.... thanks dennis
tonydennisadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 1952 ford customline fuel sending unit

The new sending units aren't compatible with the original gauges. Sometimes the old units can be cleaned up and re-used.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
19Fordy

The hot wire from the gauge attaches to the single screw on top of the sender.
Then, to make sure the sending unit has a good ground, run a separate wire from one of the 6 screws that fasten the sending unit to the tank- to the frame of the car. Make sure the metal is very clean at the point of contact. I am assuming that your gauge panel is also grounded.
Report back your findings.

Another way to test your sending unit is to lay it on the rubber trunk mat and attach the hot wire to the sending unit. Then attach another wire with alligator clips from one of the screw holes in the unit to a part of the car that is grounded like the floor trunk latch. Then move the float by hand thru it's range of motion (with the key on) to see if the gauge registers. Your float might be bad and full of gas because of a crack. You can solder it or buy a new float.

If it still doesn't work, gently pry off the top of the sending unit and see if there is a problem. The little star wheel is used to adjust the gauge reading. CW makes gauge read closer to the Full mark. CCW makes it move closer to the Empty mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9093b.jpg (119.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9100B.jpg (69.6 KB, 42 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
tonydennisadw

ok tnx back to extreme cold here in ohio so a waiting game again
Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
aandkt

My 1936 Ford has a 12 volt system.
Anyone know what do I have to do to make the original sender work with a 12 volt system and a 12 volt gauge?
Thanks
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
tonydennisadw

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
well finally warmed up a bit.....put new gauge in went to full stayed there took out hooked up outside tank float in down position showed empty half pos showed app half all way up showed full... put gauge back in showed full tank is 7 1/2 inches have 6 inches of gas im thinking maybe reading right for the gauge since it sticks so far in tank..... any thoughts dennis
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandkt View Post
Anyone know what do I have to do to make the original sender work with a 12 volt system and a 12 volt gauge?
Thanks
Ford used the same gauge/sender type when they switched to 12v in the 50s. The sender unit is a ground path for the gauge and it uses a set of points that open and close to pulse the current flow. So the power is coming from the gauge to the sender to ground. Ford added a voltage reducer to the gauges with the 12v change. You can still get the original Ford voltage reducers new or from salvage, however some prefer the "better" voltage regulators that are available.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
tonydennisadw

well here i am again hooked existing wires up... tested apart from tank seemed to work fine {fuel sending unit } put it in tank reads full then tested voltage again to it reads about 4 volts then tested battery read over 6 v would low voltage cause it to read full on gauge
Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not totally clear on what you are saying.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
tonydennisadw

JSeery gauge stays on full when not full test manually gauge will go from full to to low so works not installed took a voltage reading at battery battery is 6.5volts took a reading at wires to fuel tank reading is about 4.v at tank.... different voltage thru wire at tank than battery would the lesser voltage at tank make the gauge stay on full... dennis
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The voltage is going to be lower, the gauge uses a heating coil to move the indicator. Heat and resistance = lower voltage. In addition you are measuring a pulsing current, not a constant current flow. So wouldn't expect to see battery voltage at the sending unit. If it works out of the tank, it should work in the tank, sounds like some type of wiring/grounding issue.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-26-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The OEM indicator on the instrument panel was calibrated to work with a pulsed current type tank sending unit as manufactured by King Seeley. The modern replacements are a rheostat based unit with a specific range of resistance from empty to full. Different manufacturers use different resistance ranges and different indicators even though many of them operate on the same principal. The King Seeley systems operate on on the pulsed current principle so they are not the same. You might get the resistance sender to work the current based fuel quantity indicator but it won't be a perfect match up due to the different ranges of operation.

The King Seeley sender that was in the photos on post 3 is the only type that can work well with the OEM indicator.

Power is supplied to the instrument and not to the sending unit. The wire between the sender and the indicator is there to provide the pulsed interface to ground for the system. The pulse is caused by the rapid opening and closing of a bi-metallic switch in the sending unit as in the previous photos and description.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandkt View Post
Thanks
The original 6 V gas tank sending unit will not work with any 12 V system or 12 V gauge. The matching King Sealy OEM 6 volt sending unit will only work with the matching 6 volt gauge that operates on the same King Sealy operating principle as the sending unit.

The easiest way to solve this problem if you convert to a 12V system is to keep your gauges working on 6V using a Constant Voltage Reducer (CVR) which feeds a constant 6 volts to your 6V gauges. Read all about it here including the attached links.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ert+BATT+gauge
Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydennisadw View Post
this is the 5th fuel ,,,, sender ive put on none work correct i wired it same as original wire from gauge to center wire from frame to frame or screw to tanlk ive read these aftermarket gauges for 50 bucks are junk.....im temped to reverse the wires but i sure dont want any arc sparking or overheating in that area.... thanks dennis
Didn't notice you were using a repo resistance type sending unit. As already posted by others these really do not work will with an original gauge. Some claim they can get them to work, but at best, I think it only works at a given point to two. You will have to settle for that or locate an original sending unit.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #15
tonydennisadw

the one i took out ooked like very sme manufacture and worked for a coule years
Old 03-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
19Fordy

Check and make sure the sender float is not filling with gas. Also, carefully remove the top of your sending unit and clean the contacts. May also have to adjust the little star wheel. If this is the 5th unit you have tried, your gauge may be bad. You have to have the patience of a toothache when working on these components.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not sure what sender we are using here, an OEM style or a repro resistance type!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
19Fordy

Mr: Serry;
You bring up a very good point. The OP keeps confusing the issue with open ended replies. Maybe he will state exactly the facts of the case in a relevant sequential manner.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #19
Anteek29

Have a Bob Drake repop sender in my '41 P-U. By experimentation, a 50 ohm resistor in series with the sender wire gave me accurate reading at E and 1/2 on my original gauge. However, I did not see linear tracking thereon to F.
To me, knowing when I am approaching E is most critical!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
tonydennisadw

perhaps the op keeps doing open ended replays because he is 80 with beginning dementia and loves his cars and still trys working on em ... so with that this will be my last post to ford barn if i dont forget and repost something ill try not 2 good crusing Dennis