Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Lona

Default Not showing our cars anymore?

Went to a local car/boat/airplane show yesterday which is the largest and most popular annual show in our area. There were at least 150 cars there and probably many more. There were only two Model A's owned by guys who drove together from some 50-60 miles away. My wife would have attended with her '31 roadster but was away visiting family for the weekend. At another large show about 80 miles from us some three weeks ago, there were none. (too far away for our roadster ) At many of the events we go to, we are the only Model A to show up.

The question is with so many A's still in existence and road worthy, why do we see fewer and fewer at shows as the years go by? Is it because we A owners are getting older and no longer interested in attending shows? Is it because when we do go, there is little interest in our cars by the crowd who are drawn more to the muscle cars? Or, maybe it's just a local thing where there are just not that many A's around here anymore.

Do others around the country see this decline of interest in showing our cars? Are there other reasons for this trend? Is this just another sign that our hobby is in a downward spiral with few younger folks joining to carry on?

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Tinbasher

Default Re: Not showing our cars anymore?

That's to bad. We find that because there so few early cars at the shows or cruse nights that people really like to see them. Yes the hobby is changing but it's up to the new folks to keep it going.

My thoughts. John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
mhsprecher

We have a core group who like to go to shows and cruise ins, but what you say is probably the case. We have a great show up this way in a couple of weeks and there are always a dozen or so Model A's there. It is up to us. We have a couple of younger guys joining our club, but not many. We need to help carry on the tradition. I do it whenever I can.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Lona, I know what you mean...

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Patrick L.

I think part of the reduction is due to the way some folks act today. I've had folks stick their kids in or on my vehicles which is usually just fine. But, they have caused damage a couple times. We would also display our airplanes at the local airport again with usually no issues. But the one or two folks that are brain dead ruin it. One such fella would set his kids on the wing of one of our airplanes and have them run the length of the wing and jump into his hands. He thought that was great fun. When I saw that and started running, by the time I get there this had happened several times and the wing tips had been destroyed. I snapped on the idiot and he just wanted to stand and argue. He thought it was perfectly fine to cause hundreds of dollars in damage to an aircraft he didn't own.
I just find that some folks have no respect for others. So, I enjoy the shows but no longer participate. Many friends feel and do the same. After some problems with this years local car show the friends that still brought their cars say they will no longer do so.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

My cousin lives in VA Beach and went to the AACA show last spring and told me there was only one model A but a bunch of old cars like model Ts and other makes from the time period. Over here in the other end of Virginia, I don't see much of anything other than highly modified stuff. I have several model A cars and have no interest in taking them to a show. Forty years ago people would come up and talk about how they had a model A but now those people are gone and the feedback just isn't there. I don't think most people even know what they are looking at when at a show.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Rex_A_Lott

The reasons are probably as different as the owners, but I find that I'd rather just get out and take drive. Maybe go to eat, take a little mini-tour of the countryside or something. If I go to a car show, its to look, not to show off, but overall I find I like car shows less and less as I get older.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I only go to shows that don't charge to display the car ---when I started the shows would usually have a meal, plaque and other goodies---
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
modelAsteve

Around here (Northern Calif.) they charge to put your car in the show (usually $25 or a lot more) and than charge the spectators to come see it. Some times we get a trophy which I don't want or need. As was stated about- would rather go for a drive.
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
700rpm

I stopped participating in shows for all the reasons above. Too many fools who don't understand or respect basic courtesy regarding other people's property. Plus it takes hours to prepare, and then you have to really sit there with the car to protect it for the duration of the show.

I agree with Rex: I get more enjoyment out of driving the car, and the conversations that arise from strangers I encounter who are genuinely interested.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Around here (Northern Calif.) they charge to put your car in the show (usually $25 or a lot more) and than charge the spectators to come see it. Some times we get a trophy which I don't want or need. As was stated about- would rather go for a drive.
We get the same crappy treatment here. I REFUSE to pay for the privilege of putting my car on display for them to charge others to look at it. I've even turned around at the gate when asked for payment. The stunned look on the attendant's face said they expect they should. I wonder how quickly they would make good any damage done to the car while on display, something that should be guaranteed if we have to pay an entry fee.
I think there are many reasons Model A owners are not putting their cars on display so much these days. Parents don't control their kids who climb all over the cars, public interest is waning etc etc. For myself, I tire of the same old ignorance about out cars. How many times have I been told that Model As were only available in black and have the purveyor of that little gem be prepared to argue? (That was the Model T, and then only in the US)
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

I think lack of yesteryear's old time interest has to do with what are "today's" people looking for with a different life style and different entertainment.

For example:

A. Movies: Need a car turning over, hitting something, then fly 30 feet in the air prior to exploding and burning.

B. Circus: Who wants to see an elephant stand on his hind legs, a lion perched on a round box, or a woman on a swing dressed with "clothes on."

C. Walking around at a car show: No battery operated mobile devices or battery carts; behinds 48" wide and wider, barely limping at 50 years old with one or two walking sticks.

D. Bottled water and root beer to drink: Where is the 420 group with the good stuff to get high like at a rock concert?

E. Look at old cars: No interest, prefer sitting on a park bench and play games on a cell phone.

F. Opening the show with the National Anthem: Time to sit down and turn on the cell phone.

I'm sure others could possibly add to this list of today's different types of interest and entertainment.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-01-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
The reasons are probably as different as the owners, but I find that I'd rather just get out and take drive. Maybe go to eat, take a little mini-tour of the countryside or something. If I go to a car show, its to look, not to show off, but overall I find I like car shows less and less as I get older.
Hmmmm, I guess that's one way to look at it. I don't enter shows to "Show Off". The only Car Shows I entered in the past are to benefit an organization I wish to help. The above picture is for the local PSTA at the High School. I believe I may have even got a few teenagers interested in our hobby.

Another show I enter is the Wounded Warriors Car Show for the Semper Fi Fund. Both give away event T-Shirts to participants which is all I care about receiving in return.

But I agree with the others and this may be the last of the car shows for me because of the rude and inconsiderate spectators.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-02-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Correct spellin'
Old 10-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
28RPU

I am retired and on fixed income. I have already invested thousands of dollars in a car and can no longer afford to shell out $20 or more to enter into a show so that someone else who gets in free and knows nothing about cars can criticize and fondle what I take pride in. Most people don't even know I own an old car because I almost never drive it to shows anymore. Its like paying someone to look at my car while I sit in a chair in the sun and thats no longer fun for me.
Charge the spectators, like most events. The attractions should be paid, not have to do the paying.

Just a bunch of guys showing up at an eatery with their cars and shooting the breeze is much more fun and I can afford that.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

EVERYONE is SO NEGATIVE, is your attitude grounded INCORRECTLY?
Bill W.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.

It could very well be ! But the times and some people have changed. Like others have mentioned, just driving and hanging around some sort of drive-in with other car guys is fun.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Come to the show in Rockville, MD. No fee for cars befor 1930, if you register early. A great venue and always a good time.

I have experienced few of the problems others have. We do need to be ambassadors for our hobby and that means putting up with a lot of dumb questions. The kids do like the cars. None of mine are pristine, so I don't worry much.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
JDupuis

I cruise in, cruise night, cruise around every chance I get. Jeff
Old 10-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I stopped participating in shows for all the reasons above. Too many fools who don't understand or respect basic courtesy regarding other people's property. Plus it takes hours to prepare, and then you have to really sit there with the car to protect it for the duration of the show.

I agree with Rex: I get more enjoyment out of driving the car, and the conversations that arise from strangers I encounter who are genuinely interested.
I agree, I used to go to several a year (only if they were backing some cause). I have gone to zero this year. Almost made one a couple weeks back, however, a waitress at a small restaurant we take the 'A' to mentioned that her husband had a 50's car, and was having trouble installing wiring harness.

I didn't know the gentleman, however, decided to forgo the event and went over to his place that Saturday instead. He took interest in my 'A', and I was very impressed with the work he had accomplished on his 1950 (Insert 'C' word here).

Had a great time and was glad I skipped the event.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I only go to shows that don't charge to display the car ---when I started the shows would usually have a meal, plaque and other goodies---
Agree, its not about the money, its just that how do they charge us about $20 to bring are cars there, and only charge a spectator $5. Without are cars there is no show, that's why I refuse to go.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

This thread might convince 293,000 folks to NEVER go to car shows & show their MODEL As!
CAR SHOWS are GREAT!
Bill Appalled
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
ModelAMike1930

I wont take my Model A's to any shows,too many irresponsible parents letting their kids run ramped . I restored my cars for my pleasure and put a lot of sweat and blood into them. My Grandkids love and enjoy my Model A's that's enough for me. They respect all the work I put into them. I guess I'm just getting too old to put up with ignorant people.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #23
WHN

Mystic Seaport car show last week. Great turnout of both Model A's and T's. Without those Fords, the show would have been a bust. I will say there are less early cars at local shows than just a few years ago.

The cars are still out there. Owners, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above, are just enjoying them more privately.

When I drive around here in Old Lyme I get waves and smiles all the time. The people still love to see early cars. Have you looked at people's interest in early 19th and late 18th century colonial furniture lately. The good stuff is going into collections. It is no longer out in flea markets or local antique shows. The right people still love it, just more in private.

Same with brass cars, Model T's, and now Model A's. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #24
glenn in camino

I'm in Northern Calif., and only go to two shows a year. One is the Hangtown Car show. The other is the Ironstone winery show near Murphys Ca. Both are good shows with lots of different cars including a class for Model As at the Murphys show. The Hangtown show is only a few miles from my home, but the Murphys show is 75 miles away and a great weekend vacation.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
Mike Peters

You guys who are burned out on car shows would appreciate the Iola car show in early July in Wisconsin. Prewar cars get in free and are parked in a roped off area. Nobody messes with your car. It's adjacent to the rest of the car show/swap meet. Couldn't be more handy. We drive a Model A there every summer. Never a bad experience. One year I bought a big street mail box from a vendor. I had to take the wife's seat out of the Tudor in order to squeeze it into the back seat. Reinstalled wife's seat and drove it home.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #26
TerryO

If we all hide our A's how do we expect the youngsters to see them and want one? I just returned from an 80 mile drive this fine afternoon and I couldn't count all the honks, waves and thumbs up. Several folks pulled up beside us and took pictures with those little devices they all carry around these days.
I get my A's out every chance I get to enjoy them and this includes car shows and cruise-ins.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
frank55a

I agree with most of the reasons stated above and in part, each is why I generally no longer go to car shows with the exception of a couple. I have owned Model A's since 1963, and over the years have gone to hundreds of shows.

The culture and spectator interest in our cars has changed. As an example, a couple of years ago I went to a large local show that generally includes 500-700 cars. I took my 28 Model A Phaeton and parked next to a 28 Packard Phaeton, here were 2 cars of the same year and body style at opposite ends of the economic spectrum. The Packard owner and I watched and tracked the spectator interest in our cars. Most spectators walked past our cars without even stopping to glance at the cars let alone ask a question. For the most part those that did show any interest or ask a question were 50+ years old.

I am retired now and do not attend car shows in general because of the: 1) work involved to maintain the cars show ready; 2) the lack of spectator interest and respect; 3) registration fees, $10 is one thing, $20 or more is quite another; 4) the choice between cost and time involved to go to a car show to sit on a hot black parking lot to watch my car and hear people pick my As apart that know nothing about the cars when I can sit by the pool and enjoy a beer is a no brainer; 5) I totally enjoy touring in my As, whether it is a short drive on a beautiful day in the country side or a week or more and several hundred miles - in my opinion, this is where the real fun in the hobby is at.

Last edited by frank55a; 10-01-2017 at 09:14 PM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #28
pooch

Quote:
Bill W.
I agree Bill.

Just lots of ole farts whingeing and whining .

At the last show, I had a litte girl who so wanted to sit in my rumble seat for a picture.

I said, I am just about to leave, if your Dad says it is OK, I will drive you out to the gate in the rumble seat..

The beaming smile on her face made up for all the wankers who let their little bastards jump on my car .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #29
maako

Japan is very expensive to enter in a car show, 50.00 to 200.00 depending onthe show. I go to support friends and charity events, the military base events charge 10.00 to 400.00 but everyone gets evvent t- shirts and drawing prizes.
maako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #30
Ed

I used to go to many car show each year with my Model A. However, due several occasions of rude spectators and damage to my A, I no longer participate in any of them. I do not find it enjoyable to not be able to leave my truck unattended.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #31
Ian Curtis

I just don't get paying money to park in an otherwise free spot. We put 1000+ miles on the A per year (chump change compared to some of you!), and I'm happy to let anyone who asks in a parking lot sit in the seat and press the buttons, look at the engine, etc. We're our own rolling car show!

If there were more free shows, I'd be more inclined to show up to those. It is a bit disappointing whenever I do end up at local car show though -- I'd much rather check out pre-war cars (or 50s & 60s) compared to the more modern stuff or most new custom rigs.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #32
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
... My wife would have attended with her '31 roadster but was away visiting family for the weekend... At another large show about 80 miles from us some three weeks ago, there were none. (too far away for our roadster ) ...

Glen
Why not showing your cars anymore ? I think the answer is in your post.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #33
lucky_stripe_garage

I've put my A in a few shows since I've had it back on the road. I love sitting there listening to the reactions about my car since it's occasionally the oldest one there. The stories that spectators have told me about them playing in their grandparents A when they were younger are priceless. No, my A isn't, nor will it ever be a points car. The previous owner painted it in his garage, and was not a body man.

Most of the people that have looked at my car always pick up their kids to look inside (which also isn't perfect on my car). I just let them know that their kids are more than welcome to stand on the running boards. IF my fat butt hasn't damaged the running boards, their 5 year old won't do any damage. Depending on how interested the kid(s) are when they're looking, I'm more than happy to let them sit in the seat so their parents can get pictures.

I'm only the caretaker for this car while I have it. I hope that showing appreciation for people looking at my car will spark some interest in younger kids to get into the hobby as well.
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #34
2manycars

I have been going to car show since 1960, and have a bunch of plaques to show for it, and a few trophies, but I go less and less these days. I passed on a show two weeks ago because they wanted $20. I go to the Belltown show, as I have most years since the first one in 1967, and I go to some British shows with my MGs, but drive the tudor less each year. The traffic is thicker and faster each year. The kids have less respect both on the road and at shows. (I guess it is no longer desirable to teach kids respect) I like the cruise-ins. No fee, no trophy, no assigned parking, come when you want, leave when you want. I went to the Mystic Seaport show last week, as I have for most years since it started, but the old orphan cars were few in number. If not for Fords, the show would have been a pitiful collection of a handfull of cars. The really old cars are not practical for road use these days, and it takes time and money to load the car on a trailer, towed by a truck that was probably bought for that purpose, and take it to a show that charges a fee that is getting more and more expensive. When I was a kid we drove our model A everywhere, even up interstate 84. That does not happen much today. I find my 36 coupe and my MGs more practical to drive, and can safely keep up with the nutty traffic, and can stop in a safer distance than with a model A, even a restored one. Whether or not we want to admit it, we are all getting older, and do not have the energy and stamina that we had in our youth. In addition, some of us suffer from various health issues. As for getting the kids interested, good luck with that. They are more interested in their cell phone and computer than cars, and where would they get the money to buy a model A anyway? Times change. We may think the same as we did years ago, but the newer generations do not think the same. Thankfully my son likes old cars, and has the roadster pickup that we restored together, but he is so busy on the farm that he only went to one cruise-in this year. I guess I dont paint a rosy picture, but that is how I see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg showplaques1.jpg (38.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg showplaques2.jpg (61.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg showplaques3.jpg (38.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 17me&frank.jpg (54.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4737.jpg (108.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #35
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Agreed. I went to the Roaring Twenties car show in Bethlehem CT. Not only were they charging for admission, but also charging $5 extra for each person in the car other than the driver! I had never seen that before!

The one to plan for, (and IMHO worth a trip from NJ) is the Cider Mill show in Shelton, CT. It is free, all Model A's and T's, and has a good swap meet area.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #36
BILL WILLIAMSON

I only ever won 1 trophy, "BEST APPEARING CAR" with my '53 Studebaker.
It had a '36 Ford Coupe on it, LOWERED & with FENDER SKIRTS!! It fell & broke & the car was LOWERED even MORE!--I threw it away.
Bill W.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #37
leo

It is truly a shame that "follow the money" has become the reason for most events today. Even at Hershey they continue to raise the prices just to park in the open fields. Does everything really have to make a profit (or windfall) for the organizers? You tell me!
Another aside: the hotel I'm staying in Days Inn Lebanon/Fort Indiantown Gap is charging me $50 more per day for the same room I had last year. It's disgusting.

Last edited by leo; 10-02-2017 at 09:18 AM.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #38
FRANK PKNY

Our early spring dust off show Rhinebeck NY does not charge for early cars, I think built prior to 1935! I enjoy getting out and still show on occasion, however two or three shows a year is enough for me. I drive my Model A coupe almost every day weather permitting, until we get salt on the roads, it's a car show every day. People in town all recognize my cars, because I drive them. Presently I have five old fords, although I have been cutting down on volume, in order to cut expenses and upkeep. I enjoy seeing young people looking at the cars, our generation still loves. If I get a plaque or trophy, I give it to the first youngster I see, as a keepsake. You would enjoy seeing their faces, that smile you get is well worth the effort. You may even get a youngster interested in our hobby! It's a good way to keep it going!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back to the future.jpg (31.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #39
daveymc29

We have a "first Sunday Cars and Coffee" that brings in over 400 cars and sometimes near 600. There will be at most three or four A's and two of them will be from our club. Most of the cars are the Mustangs and Cameros and exotics right off the showroom floor and a few hotrods. Lots of the cars you never see driven, Ferraris, Lambo's and such. Last Sunday no A's.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #40
Lona

Very interesting comments about shows. I agree with Bill Williamson that there seems to be a negative attitude by many about attending shows yet we constantly look for ways to attract younger folks into our hobby. We have 23 shows each year in our area not counting the cruise-in every Friday night during the summer. Some of the shows are sponsored by our all marque club while others are open to anyone who wants to come. Here is a breakdown of the types of shows.

7) Free, no food
9) Free, with food
3) Pay fee, no food
4) Pay fee, with food

Except for one, the fee shows are all $10, some of which are charitable like support for local volunteer fire/rescue squads and church fund raisers. One is $20 but is at an upscale yacht club and they feed us a nice sit-down buffet lunch worth the $20 spent. Where food is included in the other shows, it is usually tickets for a hot dog/hamburger and soda. We try to attend as many shows as we can from this, our retirement summer place, but our main residence is 75 miles away so sometimes it's difficult.

We are blessed with a public that is respectful of our cars and kids who are either knowledgeable or are told by their parents not to touch things. We often ask parents if their kids would like to sit in our roadster as a way to get the younger generation interested.

As I suspected in my original comments, we are getting older and for a variety of reasons mostly having to do with ageing, many don't go to shows anymore. Perhaps that is the biggest reason for not seeing as many A's at events anymore. When our cars disappear from public view, the younger generation will not follow the dedication and love we have for our hobby.

Glen
Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #41
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I used to go to many car show each year with my Model A. However, due several occasions of rude spectators and damage to my A, I no longer participate in any of them. I do not find it enjoyable to not be able to leave my truck unattended.
Same root- cause reasons that many have left the old car forums.

Not what it was even five years ago. Rude and nasty people have made the great ones, the late great ones. I sure miss their expertise.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #42
rosenkranswa

I'm always amazed when I read responses to these kind of questions. I must live in an alternate reality because I go to 3-4 shows a year with 300+ cars there and have yet to meet a rude person, child or adult, or people that aren't genuinely interested in the cars. I do select shows that are benefits for some cause I favor, usually in the $12-$15 range. I do see fewer and fewer prewar cars generally, and the shows I go to usually offer some kind of inducement for prewar cars. If I bring the '42 Jeep I'm generally the only military vehicle there, but I see most people turn to face the flag hand over heart for the anthem. I usually dress for the era, and tend to actively talk to people by the car, in fact I now have a young person (HS Junior) that comes occasionally and who can hold forth pretty well on the history and technology, something my daughter used to do before she moved out of state.

I had four cars at a local Elementary School last week for a program with 100 5th graders - all very well behaved, and excited to see and hear about the cars. I think I may well have generated a potential old car buff or two.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #43
barkleydave

Some folks like to show their A's other some like tours. A large number sit!

Facts:
Model A membership is MARC/MAFCA is dropping

In our local region there are approx. 35 members and some very nice cars!
We are lucky to get 6-8 of them out for an event or show.

Lots of beautiful cars restored 20 years ago and now the owners are unable to get out and they sit.

Those 6-8 cars are pretty much the same core group that enjoys touring and can still get out and go.

Clubs need to continue to promote our Regions and Chapters and target folks in their 50s+ that have thier health and the $ to own and enjoy them.

Youth promotions are great but lets face it... most of us did not get into the hobby until our children were grown and on their own and had more discretionary income.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #44
H. L. Chauvin

All above varying "different" opinions are no doubt true, "different" experiences of Model A owners.

If one travels a lot today, as opposed to traveling years ago, one quickly realizes that human behavior in "different" States vary, "different" cities vary, as well as areas vary, hotels vary, hospitals vary, all depending on "where" one visits.

One simple test would be to think about tying one's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy to a park bench, walk back and watch what happens to this puppy in "different" areas of the U.S.

In some areas, most folks will stop to pet & hug the puppy.

In other areas, most will totally ignore the puppy.

In some areas, most will kick the puppy out of the way.

And in many areas, this puppy will be picked up by most and stolen.

After thinking about similar situations, and watching today's news, it becomes obvious that dogs and Model A's will usually get about type of "different" treatment in "different" areas.

Moral of the story could be that if one likes to show one's Model A, just find a "different" neighborhood that respects and loves cute little puppies ...... many "different" outer areas like this are still out there.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-02-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #45
JBill

Years ago, parade sponsors and show sponsors used to pay our club a per-car fee for appearing. That ended a long time ago, and of course now most shows charge you an entry fee, even though it's the presence of these collector cars that encourages attendance. I still go to some, but not as often.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #46
rosenkranswa

I think Mr. Chauvin is on to something, attitudes vary by geographic area sometimes significantly. Another aspect seems important too; My family and I do quite a bit of WWII living history and after many years of being part of airshows, vehicle shows, commemoratives, etc. we all noticed one thing - if there's a charge for people to attend the show, there's much better behavior. I've had this confirmed by aircrew as well who fly the warbirds in. Entrance fees mean people really want to be there and act accordingly. If there's no fee, Bubba and his 6 kids show up because it sounds like a cool day out for free where Bubba can show off. I tested this theory out a bit this year and discovered the shows I usually attend do charge a spectator fee. Both factors are probably operating.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Wayne,

In reply # 46 above, you are also hitting the nail on the head with a "different", very modern magical word: FREE.

At our military installation, every Christmas for over 25 years years we used to seek small toy donations from local department stores for toys to pass out to less fortunate children and to pass out to invited children from foster homes. This Christmas event was always advertised in the local newspaper as FREE.

Can anyone imagine how as time went on, many parents of children were later complaining that their kid's particular FREE Christmas present was not as good as the rest of the FREE presents?

I mean, what part of "Wake Up" is not understood about the ruination of today's people's values and the appreciation for others who are constantly receiving FREE stuff?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also, might add:

At the next Model A car show, provide a large sign reading:

"FREE Model A Car Show with FREE Lunch"

Now, compare the final results of this sign when located in "different" neighborhoods, and guess who might be coming FREE, to see and visit your newly upholstered and newly painted Model A with their FREE food.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-02-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #48
Lona

Just to clarify, the four show categories I listed are for those who exhibit cars and not for the general public who attend. I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees.

Glen
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #49
denis4x4

Perhaps some of the Debbie Downers can explain to the rest of us how a car show promoter (non profit or otherwise) pays for permits, insurance, the venue, advertising/PR, trophies, plaques, security and host of other expenses. For those of you into tours, events like the hot rod hill climb, Speedster Reunion and FAST events all charge an entry fee that is far more than a car show. Finally, I've been entering car shows all over the west since 1958 and I've yet to run into unruley kids. Perhaps Ryan can start a new sticky listing events that allow rotten kids to attend.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #50
Hoop

"I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees."

Well, it would be shocking, BUT ... there is such an event.

They feed EVERYONE, car owners and spectators. Spectators attend FREE. Car owners pay a registration fee but get gifts, t-shirts, trophies and raffle tickets on a crate engine. No limit on the food with announcements to "eat all you want."

Here's my earlier post:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=fruit+cove
Old 10-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #51
latecomer

After reading all these posts i feel more then ever that having our own model A&T meet every year at Beardslys cider mill in may is a very good thing. You see so many guys and gals talking about our beloved hobby with no other distractions.
latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #52
Lona

Hoop,

Amazing to have a free show that feeds everybody! I would not have believed it if I hadn't read your original thread.

Glen
Old 10-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #53
Clem Clement

We had a great show last Saturday. I was/am too sick to participate. I try hard to make this show. To my knowledge only one Model A attended and an overall low attendance as well. We'll see about Rockville. At Fairfax station is is very difficult to keep people off the cars. I asked a lady why she was removing the do not touch signs: So my kids can climb in for photos: did not happen.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #54
todd3131

I go to car shows once a month I park In spectator parking which always confuses the organizers. I look at all the other cars and leave after an hour I pick up my wife we head to a nice restaurant for lunch and watch a ball game or go to the group store and I Haven't wasted the day. I don't mind the ignorent people that is point of the show they get to see things they never knew about. The numbers one Reas is car shows are incredibly boring.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #55
TerryO

[QUOTE"I have never seen shows where free food is given to attendees."

Well, it would be shocking, BUT ... there is such an event.][/QUOTE]

Also Peavine Baptist Church in Rock Spring, GA holds a car show every year the Sunday before the 4th of July. Everything is free for everyone and they always have a good turnout with fireworks after dark. No, I don't belong to this church but I might if I lived there.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #56
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sign in Minervas' 1/4 window: "YES, YOU CAN TOUCH MY CAR & IF YOU EVER MADE OUT IN A MODEL A, SIT IN IT & SEE IF YOU CAN REMEMBER HER NAME?"
Bill Funguy
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #57
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
I only ever won 1 trophy, "BEST APPEARING CAR" with my '53 Studebaker.
It had a '36 Ford Coupe on it, LOWERED & with FENDER SKIRTS!! It fell & broke & the car was LOWERED even MORE!--I threw it away.
Bill W.
Owning a '53 Studebaker is all the trophy anyone could ever want or need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Champion Starliner 2.jpg (47.3 KB, 27 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #58
waxhead

We have a car show this weekend with the money raised going to cancer research for children. Entry is $10. I will be taking my Model A pickup.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #59
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Perhaps some of the Debbie Downers can explain to the rest of us how a car show promoter (non profit or otherwise) pays for permits, insurance, the venue, advertising/PR, trophies, plaques, security and host of other expenses.
OK - by the admission fee charged to the spectators who attend. Just like any concert. Our cars are the "draw" that spectators pay to see, and should not be charged for making the show possible by bringing their cars to the show. If there is not enough interest to make a car show profitable, then maybe it should not be held.

We can always plan gatherings that do not involve a show. We (the Fairfield County A's) planned a luncheon at the George Washington Inn. We invited four other western CT clubs to join us. Over 40 model A's showed up! It was a great day, and the only thing we paid for was our lunch.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #60
denis4x4

There are many car shows in small communities that are held on Main Street. The Durango Old Car Club has a show on Fathers Day benefiting Hospice of Mercy. There is no way that spectators can be charged to view these cars. There for, in order to make expenses and have funds to donate to the designated charities, there is an entry fee. Because this show also encourages people to shop down town, merchants are very supportive and provide prizes and stuff for goodie bags. And, there are Model A's on display at this show.

If you don't want to pay a car show entry fee because you think your car is the star, fine. However there is another side to the issue that should be viewed with an open mind.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #61
dumb person

Quote:
Bill W.
Yes it is grounded incorrectly.
Funny thing is i get most negativity from old people who want to buy my car for $50 or sell them the engine for $500 and crush the rest. Hilarious part is mine is more solid than theirs.

"Your door handle is off a '31, oh no the upholstery has a mark on it. Throw this wreck away. It's not good enough. It's scrap. It's not even good as a parts car"

And that's why i don't take people on fordbarn very seriously anymore. They aren't even trying, it used to be about the cars. Now it's just a bunch of old children trying to out-do each other.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

It's SIMPLE, if you LIKE car shows, then GO!----If you DON'T, then DON'T! Why DEPRESS others!!---Some folks would complain if they were HUNG with a NEW rope---LOL
Duz somebody have that Dead Horse Pic to post?
Bill Showguy
Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #63
pgerhardt

Quote:
There are many car shows in small communities that are held on Main Street. The Durango Old Car Club has a show on Fathers Day benefiting Hospice of Mercy. There is no way that spectators can be charged to view these cars. There for, in order to make expenses and have funds to donate to the designated charities, there is an entry fee. Because this show also encourages people to shop down town, merchants are very supportive and provide prizes and stuff for goodie bags. And, there are Model A's on display at this show.

If you don't want to pay a car show entry fee because you think your car is the star, fine. However there is another side to the issue that should be viewed with an open mind.
You sight a special activity that I would not define as a "car show" to refute my position . However even in that case funds could be raised for the charity by asking both spectators and merchants for donations in return for receipts for tax purposes. I fact, if that approach was applied to the car owners I am pretty sure most would donate even more than the usual $10 fee. I know I would.

Without a doubt our cars (NOT my car) are the "stars" of a car show, as without them nobody would show up.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #64
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
You sight a special activity that I would not define as a "car show" to refute my position . However even in that case funds could be raised for the charity by asking both spectators and merchants for donations in return for receipts for tax purposes. I fact, if that approach was applied to the car owners I am pretty sure most would donate even more than the usual $10 fee. I know I would.

Without a doubt our cars (NOT my car) are the "stars" of a car show, as without them nobody would show up.
Tell that to the members of the Durango Old Car Club that work their butts off to promote a CAR SHOW with over 300 entries every year. I'm not "refuting" your position, only asking that you look at the flip side with an open mind. Passing the hat to get spectators to donate for a cause at a car show so the cheap Model A owners don't have to pay an entry fee because their "cars are the stars" is a joke.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #65
pgerhardt

Quote:
Tell that to the members of the Durango Old Car Club that work their butts off to promote a CAR SHOW with over 300 entries every year. I'm not "refuting" your position, only asking that you look at the flip side with an open mind. Passing the hat to get spectators to donate for a cause at a car show so the cheap Model A owners don't have to pay an entry fee because their "cars are the stars" is a joke.
Well this has turned nasty now. "Discussion" OVER.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #66
RonC

There's less interest in the older cars at shows and more interest in muscle cars. You see even fewer Model Ts however there are many sitting in barns and garages that were restored in the 60s or 70s. They will probably follow the Ts. They are becoming more of a novelty instead of the main attractions at car shows
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #67
pooch

Yep,

I agree, there is less interest in antiquated gentleman and their antiquated cars these days who fuss over a single fingerprint or a snotty nose on their over restored precious cars.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #68
cradlescyth

If more A's would go to cruse nights ( which are free in this area)

and show your cars to people, I think interest would grow.
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #69
1930artdeco

I don't go to as many shows as I can due to work and house. If I can go to a show and they charge it had better be for a charity. But I like it when the kids come up and look at the car and then I engage the kids and parents. So far (knock on wood) I have not had to many problems with jack asses.

I still think it is good to go so people can see the cars and maybe they will get interested via the kids. That and to show the chrome crowd a real car.

Mike
Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #70
BILL WILLIAMSON

BUT, we MUST act decent at shows & if we're not carried away by Muscle Cars/Hot Rods/Etc, REMEMBER, that to them, it's their PRIDE & JOY!
Its the GOOD communication, that COUNTS! I've learned a lot of restoration TIPS from them!
Bill Talker
Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #71
SeaSlugs

i go to cruise ins in my 1980 chevette. paint is an old flaking maaco job from the early 90's id guess but ive updated and replaced alot of the interior and mechanical things. I get alot of oohs and smiles from people as it was a car most people had or knew someone who did. I see the same people look at the camaros, novas, mustangs and appreciate them but just look and keep walking.

I can see your guys points about the general spectators having no "relation" to a model A as the spectators now are in thier 30's-60's from what ive noticed so unless thier dad or grandfather gave them rides in one when they were little they dont have any connection to them. It would be like majority of us if we went and saw a 1954 gulwing mercedes - read about them in car books, seen pictures, but more than a walk around and looking at one in real life its just a quick look maybe a picture as we dont have a connection to that car...
If I saw a 1982 red ford escort GL hatchback at a cruise in id be all over it as thats the first car I remember riding in as a kid and have memories of the dashboard and the outside looks of it in the driveway, the odd feel of the ribbed taillights, wood bead seatcovers over red viynal that burnt your legs, and rust haha.

I see alot of little kids at cruise ins and id say 98% of them are holding a parents hand as they look and reminded not to touch - occasionally ones running somewhere but a parent is usually yelling at them to get back over here haha.

Everyone I've encountered at cruise ins are respectful and jump at the chance to help guide you backwards into a spot or politely let you know thier waiting for thier friend to show up.

I have asked several model A owners why they dont go to cruise ins around me and they have said the same things some of you have said about no respect, damage to their car, etc but I've just not seen it personally....
Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #72
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
I have asked several model A owners why they dont go to cruise ins around me and they have said the same things some of you have said about no respect, damage to their car, etc but I've just not seen it personally....
Wait until someone's little darlings use your front fenders as a SLIDE as they stand nearby and watch...
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #73
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Wait until someone's little darlings use your front fenders as a SLIDE as they stand nearby and watch...
When I bought the truck in my avatar, there were two somewhat shiny spots on one front fender. The owner would repaint the truck every few years in the winter (for something to do)and had just painted it the winter before selling it. First car show, some kid slid down the front fender scratching it. The owner got yelled at by the mom for saying something to the kid about it. The shiny spots were his attempt to spot spray the scratches. Tough to due with flat black. I've seen kids start to walk up the fender to get a better view through the window.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #74
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post

I can see your guys points about the general spectators having no "relation" to a model A as the spectators now are in thier 30's-60's from what ive noticed so unless thier dad or grandfather gave them rides in one when they were little they dont have any connection to them. It would be like majority of us if we went and saw a 1954 gulwing mercedes - read about them in car books, seen pictures, but more than a walk around and looking at one in real life its just a quick look maybe a picture as we dont have a connection to that car...
Many of the cars that catch my attention at shows and rallies are cars that I have never had a connection with, there is just something about them that draws me in to have a closer look and learn some more. I must in fact add my Model A to that list because before I bought it just under two years ago they meant nothing to me.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #75
bnchief

Been there done that.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #76
ronn

I had four cars at a local Elementary School last week for a program with 100 5th graders - all very well behaved, and excited to see and hear about the cars. I think I may well have generated a potential old car buff or two. __________________

well youre living in Malvern may have something to do with the crowd of people you meet.....

Not exactly the slums of America!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #77
BILL WILLIAMSON

Even though we're Model A Buffs, many of us have owned "muscle" cars in the past.
My FAVORITE one was a '59 Olds-98 2 door hardtop, with a trunk as LOOOONG as a Model A!!!
Bill Cruiser