Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
34 3-window

Default 33-34 spring shackle replacement

What's the best way to remove the old center bolt and bushing out of the springs and spring perchace on the axle? Is there a tool of the right od diameter to drive out the old bolt and bushing? Should you use heat to the outside edges? What are the best replacement parts and from whom?Working on my chassis rebuild now.
Thanks,
Harold
34 3-window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: 33-34 spring shackle replacement

There is a tool to drive these out and drive the new ones in. I have found the easiest way to remove is to drive the center pin out with a punch and then hacksaw thru the shell, cutting towards the meat of the bracket, not the outside rim then take a cape chisel or old broken screwdriver, get under the edge of the shell and colapse it. Try the new bushing for fit if you cannot get it in over 1/3 of the way with gentle force, take it back out and chuck it in a drill or drill press and hold sandpaper against it to take off a few thousands. Once the shackle is back to the spring and axle and the weight of the car on it, it is not going to move even if it was a loose tap in because the shell will swell out towards the pull against it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Strick

shot PB Blaster to mine every couple of days for a couple of weeks. Then used a 3lb sledge hammer and a slightly smaller diameter socket to drive it out. Hit it like you mean it...
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
TJ

Unless you are building a car to be judged I would replace the shackle bushings/shackles with the teflon type used on streetrods.They are much easier to install and will last a long time.Trying to install the original type bushings is not an easy job and you should have the correct tools to do it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Terry,OH

JimTN has one of the best methods of removal (without the proper tools) but I would not remove any of the outer metal jacket to get the new ones to fit. The new should be about 0.003" larger than the hole for a press fit, if you remove some of the outer jacket there is a possibliity the entire shackel pin will move after installation. They should be pressed into their holes do not press on the center bolt just the outer metal jacket. I have not found any of the modern style to fit the original size large holes of the 33-34. If you want to use them you will have to install a repair sleeve to get the hole diameter down to 3/4".

Last edited by Terry,OH; 05-09-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
JimTN has one of the best methods of removal (without the proper tools) but I would not remove any of the outer metal jacket to get the new ones to fit. The new should be about 0.003" larger than the hole for a press fit, if you remove some of the outer jacket there is a possibliity the entire shackel pin will move after installation. They should be pressed into their holes do not press on the center bolt just the outer metal jacket. I have not found any of the modern style to fit the original size large holes of the 33-34. If you want to use them you will have to install a repair sleeve to get the hole diameter down to 3/4".

Terry,OH is right on (as usual) with his advice. Do NOT remove material from the new bushing. To do so equates to installing 'used' bushings. That's why you are replacing them in the first place
The K R Wilson tool designed to install these bushings properly pushes on both the outer sleeve and the inner stud simultaneously.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
barnfind08

TerryOh I have those large studs. You just need to call.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
34 3-window

Thanks gentlemen for the great advice. Is there anyone remanufacturing the K.R. Wilson tool for shackles and springs?
Thanks,
34 3-window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
Terry,OH

The tool is not re Mfg. but with some careful planing you can make your own. I used 3/4" threaded rod, mild steel turned on a lathe, and a welder for the inserting press and mild steel, and a #8 bolt & nuts , for the shackle pin removal tool. Photos of the original tools are in the K R Wilson 1940 tool catalog, the catalog is reprinted by Winfield tool.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote