Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Ford 'Model A''s for sale on E-Bay Motors

===.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 12-13-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Gerard

Default Re: Ford 'Model A''s for sale on E-Bay Motors

Jeff, this Trent is going on for some time now I noticed and you are right DON'T sell a good restored car ( if you don't need the money )
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Russ/40

Part of the problem is '32's are out of sight, Brookville bodies are expensive, and there is a renewed interest in putting "A"s on '32 rails. "A"s are considered very affordable, even if restored cars.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
AKsportcoupe

Save our heritage! I too am always alarmed at the numbers of "rods". Each one representing a permanent loss of an American classic
AKsportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A one time look does not really make a trend, but Russ/40 is right, reproduction bodies are much more than originals and with the trend towards "Rat Rods" they can put a rusted out body on a frame, chop it, channel it and there you have it instant rod.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Fairlane500

Could I ask this question would the restorers amongst us use a Brookville body in a restoration if the originals rust repair out weighed the cost of a brookville body for a A Roadster for instance??? Would it be looked upon as a lesser car if it was shown amongst genuine Ford bodies??? It would seem to me to get a laser straight car a brookville would be a wise choice, but would it be acceptable in the Model A restorers community???

I have seen photos of Original cars with everything but the cowl being replaced with brookville steel, but somewhat keen to hold onto the original "Ford" body theme. Grandads axe syndrome 4 heads and 12 handles, but its still grandads axe.

Keen to hear anyones opinion.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post
Could I ask this question would the restorers amongst us use a Brookville body in a restoration if the originals rust repair out weighed the cost of a brookville body for a A Roadster for instance??? Would it be looked upon as a lesser car if it was shown amongst genuine Ford bodies??? It would seem to me to get a laser straight car a brookville would be a wise choice, but would it be acceptable in the Model A restorers community???

I have seen photos of Original cars with everything but the cowl being replaced with brookville steel, but somewhat keen to hold onto the original "Ford" body theme. Grandads axe syndrome 4 heads and 12 handles, but its still grandads axe.

We have been through this before on this forum, When is an A no longer an A?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-05-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
We have been through this before on this forum, When is an A no longer an A?
Yes we have . I think the rules also change depending on the age of the car . My 1910 Hupmobile was built round an original Motor and gearbox, a bisected chassis and a hand full of original parts . Everything else has been fabricated (albeit using original parts as patterns). I have never considered it to be any thing other than a 1910 vehicle . But if one of my A's had as many repo parts on it I wouldn't call it original -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
peters180a/170b

When is a "A" no longer then an "A" ? When it becomes a "B" ...l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
cradlescyth

Hi Guys
Speaking for myself, I would keep an A an A but just can

Not afford the cost as yet, I'm still saving and looking but to

no avail.
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
HDowse

I have noticed this trend for a while now and read it another way. More rods, specials are on eBay because these folks want to sell their cars for cash more than those of us with stock A's do. It's also true over in the T world. I actually feel pretty good that there are so many non-stock cars for sale because it might mean fewer stock cars get used for rods.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

We are a dieing breed. the TV shows glamorize cutting up perfect cars, Love the fake dead lines and when finished call it 31 or 32 or what ever they cut to pieces, when the oldest thing on the car is the gas in the tank
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post

I find people in the hobby (Restorers, --but not necessarily Model A owners) are very judgmental and the "scales" are not balanced when it comes to their fairness in this regard however allow me clear up a few things that IMHO you might not know.

First off, if you are under the assumption that a Brookville body is "a laser straight body", my experiences from doing several of these is that they are NOT. And with regard to how they are accepted in the community, I think a lot of it is your presentation of that vehicle. We have taken several BR bodies and camoufaged them them by tweaking sheetmetal, installing rivets, etc. where they fool 98% of the hobbyists out there. After that if the owner just keeps his mouth shut, these bodies are very well accepted into the hobby. When it comes time to sell the car, again, do NOT mislead the prospective Buyer but instead make them discern whether the body is original or reproduction.

BTW, a couple of years ago I had a "restored" '30 Roadster (with all repro sheetmetal including a BR body) at a local show and there was a group of naive 60-70 y.o. guys standing there admiring the car when I walked up to put something inside the car. I briefly chatted with them and they were asking about the car. When I told them with a straight face that "everything but the gas tank still had the original paint on it", they were flabbergasted at how well the paint looked. I didn't lie to them, and I politely excused myself and walked away. It is all about presentation!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Kevin in NJ

Well before you read too much into this think about who is more likely to sell on ebay.

The conservative guy with a stock model A or a progressive rodder trying to get top buck. Keep in mind in my dealing with others that own A's it seems many are barely on the net, usually it seems the wife has the email address.

Look up what is going on with the 32 to 34 Fords and you might wonder if there are any being restored to original anymore. In this range there are a number of guys spending bucks for a restored car and then rodding it.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Barry B./ Ma.

My roadster is a re-bodied Brookville body from a beat up coupe that was virtually destroyed by chopping off the back and mounting a pickup body then a saw rig, that's what happened to a lot of them in the old days. I feel in this case it keeps a good Model A going and was more practical than trying to restore the coupe body.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
DON'T sell a good restored car ( if you don't need the money )
If you don't, eventually your heirs will. I've learned that life is too short to worry about keeping a car because of what a buyer may do to it.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
TK in LA

The realization is that if you want to sell your car and you want the most people to see it you put it on the net (greedy-Bay). You put a price (reserve or just the price you want) on it. If it sells, you got what you wanted or maybe more and you didn't have someone ask what's the least you'll take. I have sold a few really nice stock cars for very reasonable prices to hot rodders because no one that wanted a stock car would step up and buy them. Some went out of the country for the same reason.
My 2¢
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
HeyyCharger

To be honest with you all, I am a period correct Rodder, yet, I would greatly struggle to have my self cut up a nice, clean and original Model A. Something else that I have realized of late is that I have developed a soft spot for dead stock Model A's.... Never would have thought the same way a year ago!

HC.
HeyyCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
fritznbud

I'd like to add how i feel when i drive my A, and think back to what it must have seen in it's life through time. I hang with a friend that drives a '32 fiberglass bodied coupe and wonder if he thinks back to the day his beauty was just a thought in a can....a overnight blooming car in someone's mold...what a loss! The major part of owning my A is all in it's history, and it can bring a tear to my eye everytime i go there. Especially when i tote home a $4 gallon of milk with my can of corn-free gas that costs the same as the milk.
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
Chris Haynes

I see lots of ads for Model A running chassis for sale. Some butt wipe rodder bought a perfectly good Model A. Removed the body for a rod and sells the rest. It is really sad to see this happen to a good car.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote