Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Randy in ca

Default Bad news about photobucket

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223806
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Bad news about photobucket

For those who don't want to follow the links;

Photobucket announced (unceremoniously) that they will be removing the ability to post images to a third party site...i.e. you cannot upload an image to photobucket and then copy the IMG code into forums like Fordbarn and have the image appear in your post.

Well, you can but it will cost you $400. This of course impacts images that have been posted for years on various forums and blogs, just like Fordbarn.

Photobucket has taken a beating on various social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram.

You can tell even they know it is shady as they waited until 5:33pm on the Friday of a very long holiday weekend to make the announcement. They then posted an update the next day saying they are assessing all of the feedback.

It seems for the time being that all of my Photobucket hosted images are still displaying properly on this site. PB seems to be holding off on the ransom request...

In the mean time, I'd suggest you go save any linked images in these forums you may want for future reference.

-Tim
Old 07-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I gave up on Photobucket some years ago when they changed hosts and I lost well over 1000 pictures I had stored there.

I'll just keep my photos in my computer and download directly to the site.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
fordcragar

There is nothing more annoying than looking at a thread that has pictures that are linked from Photobucket; which don't show up anymore, for whatever reason. If you have photos that are linked and it is in a thread where these photos help discribe something of interest, then hopefully you'll back and upload to update the threads on the forum.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

In the days before cheap tera byte hard drives places like photobucket made more sense. With increased storage and access to cloud storage, they are dinosaurs and the asteroid has struck.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I gave up on Photobucket some years ago when they changed hosts and I lost well over 1000 pictures I had stored there.

I'll just keep my photos in my computer and download directly to the site.
I did not relize you could upload an image directly to the site from your puter. how?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I did not relize you could upload an image directly to the site from your puter. how?
The link in the first post (to a thread on the Early V8 Forum) has an explanation and also there have been many, many explanations given in previous posts in the past if you do a search. Also the FAQ section has explanations. Basically use the "Manage Attachments" option(s) and download them from your computer.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
john charlton

This has also happened on the WW2 Jeep site G503. lots of very informative pictures lost . Just when I needed them !!!

John in warm evening Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I use tinypic...always have. I didn't like PB.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I use tinypic...always have. I didn't like PB.
And what makes you think that "tinypic" could not easily someday disappear or go the way of Photobucket which has been one of the biggest for years?? Personally I've never heard of "tinypic". What's the problem with loading them into Fordbarn itself to be reasonably sure that they'll be around as long as Fordbarn itself is?? Thousands upon thousands of old threads are going to be worthless now due to missing key pictures on dozens of forums including Fordbarn and the Hamb. Many warnings that this could happen have been given in many threads, yet people continue to use them - I just don't get it!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
And what makes you think that "tinypic" could not easily someday disappear or go the way of Photobucket which has been one of the biggest for years?? Personally I've never heard of "tinypic". What's the problem with loading them into Fordbarn itself to be reasonably sure that they'll be around as long as Fordbarn itself is?? Thousands upon thousands of old threads are going to be worthless now due to missing key pictures on dozens of forums including Fordbarn and the Hamb. Many warnings that this could happen have been given in many threads, yet people continue to use them - I just don't get it!!!

Sure TinyPic can go south also, so couldn't the earth by a meteor. I personally didn't care for PhotoBucket. I found TinyPic easier to use than any other place and....all my photos are saved to my own files anyway.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Sure TinyPic can go south also, so couldn't the earth by a meteor. I personally didn't care for PhotoBucket. I found TinyPic easier to use than any other place and....all my photos are saved to my own files anyway.
Did you read about that in GRIT?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Did you read about that in GRIT?
Special printing, right off the press, ink still wet!!!!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
There is nothing more annoying than looking at a thread that has pictures that are linked from Photobucket; which don't show up anymore, ... upload to update the threads on the forum.
Agreed, this has been my pet peeve on numerous forums for years.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
holdover

Seems like they are one in the same....

TinyPic.com Terms of Use Agreement

May 2, 2008

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com (the "Site"), which is an image and video sharing service that allows Users (as defined in the following paragraph) to store images and videos and share them across the internet and create unique personal profiles online. TinyPic allows Users to upload images and videos and associate them with a unique URL to create online access to the images and videos for themselves and others, on the site and on other websites where a User posts the URL ("the quick link feature"). The services offered by TinyPic include the Site, image and video sharing (including the quick link feature), other
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #16
KenCoupe

I personally am not sold on cloud services yet. There are at least three things about cloud services that bother me:
  • Security issues - look at how many places have been hacked (Target, etc.)
  • Unilateral changes of Terms and Conditions. To use these cloud services, you have to agree to their terms which they can change at any time without your consent.
  • Cost - Some start free, but usually end up costing a lot. Someone has to pay for all their equipment (NAS - Network Area Storage, i.e. hard drives - which is much more expensive than the 1TB hard drive you pick up at Best Buy, servers, etc.), buildings to house the equipment, software, technicians to run and repair all this, etc.

These cloud services may be ok for temporary backups, but the above issues may put your data at risk.

Many companies are going to cloud storage, but I personally and not ready for that.

I have an external hard drive with enough capacity to hold all my files. In an emergency, I can easily grab this external drive and take it with me.

Lastly, it is your data (photos, videos, data files, etc.) It is not the provider's data. I can see them charging you to store your data on their equipment, but not to restrict you from using your data.

I hope this post is not considered political or something that violates the rules of the Fordbarn. I am only trying to explain my feeling about storing my own Model A photos, records, and other files.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Please enjoy your 4th of July and drive your Model A.

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
I personally am not sold on cloud services yet. There are at least three things about cloud services that bother me:
  • Security issues - look at how many places have been hacked (Target, etc.)
  • Unilateral changes of Terms and Conditions. To use these cloud services, you have to agree to their terms which they can change at any time without your consent.
  • Cost - Some start free, but usually end up costing a lot. Someone has to pay for all their equipment (NAS - Network Area Storage, i.e. hard drives - which is much more expensive than the 1TB hard drive you pick up at Best Buy, servers, etc.), buildings to house the equipment, software, technicians to run and repair all this, etc.

These cloud services may be ok for temporary backups, but the above issues may put your data at risk.

Many companies are going to cloud storage, but I personally and not ready for that.

I have an external hard drive with enough capacity to hold all my files. In an emergency, I can easily grab this external drive and take it with me.

Lastly, it is your data (photos, videos, data files, etc.) It is not the provider's data. I can see them charging you to store your data on their equipment, but not to restrict you from using your data.

I hope this post is not considered political or something that violates the rules of the Fordbarn. I am only trying to explain my feeling about storing my own Model A photos, records, and other files.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Please enjoy your 4th of July and drive your Model A.

Ken
Ken,

Just be sure the the external hard drive is not next to your computer (use a long cord) where if the computer is stolen they will probably sweep up the hard drive along with everything else. Then there is fire and food. I am currently using MAC time machine and a hard drive but I think I may add cloud backup.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #18
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Ken,

Just be sure the the external hard drive is not next to your computer (use a long cord) where if the computer is stolen they will probably sweep up the hard drive along with everything else. Then there is fire and food. I am currently using MAC time machine and a hard drive but I think I may add cloud backup.

Charlie Stephens
Yep, good suggestion. I have one external drive that is hard wired to the computer that holds my data files. The computer's internal drive only holds the application programs (Windows, Office, other programs, etc.) I have a second external network connected drive that is for my automatic backups. The network connected drive is connected to my router, not directly to my computer (I can backup my wife's computer through the network also). All drives are far enough apart that it would not be easy for a thief to get everything at once. So if they take one external drive, they likely won't get the other one.

Thanks,

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #19
Ryan
Administrator

I don't run a photo hosting service, so I don't really have a dog in the fight... But it sure seems like to me that Photobucket is in the extortion game. Just seems like blackmail to me...
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
ModelAMike1930

I don't use any sites to store photos, I store them on my computers and back them up on dvd's or flash drives.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote