Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Dave Mellor NJ

Default Model T video

A friend sent me this neat video. I should post it on the T forum but I'd never see any response.

http://safeshare.tv/w/ShbgvwazCZ
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Model T video

Awesome, Thanks for sharing.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
blgitn

Yes, thanks!
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
old car guy

After looking at the video I am left wondering how far we have really come forward since the T . Yes the cars are faster safer and have vast more comfort conveniences .but can they really go over any road like the T could traverse . If you took any of our new cars today and tried to go over any of the roads the T went thru triple A would be on there way. Thanks for sharing the video it brought back a lot of great memories of the T's that I have had and long since been sold and they also would and did travel the back roads the same as the video showed
Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
blgitn

Makes me want another too.
Anybody got an extra?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

I saw an old VA state map from about 1930 or earlier and the statewide speed limit was 35 and that was about all you could do even on paved roads as they were so narrow. There are still some of the original roads that somehow survived and you need to slow and pull to the edge of the road when meeting someone, the model T was in it's element then.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
holdover

"I saw an old VA state map from about 1930 or earlier and the statewide speed limit was 35" narrow. There are still some of the original roads that somehow survived and you need to slow and pull to the edge of the road when meeting someone, the model T was in it's element then."

FYI, I live in a rural county of VA, read awhile ago that the state speed limit on gravel roads, which we have many is now 35 MPH, T's and my 3 A's feel right at home.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

This is the fourth or fifth time I started to reply to this thread, changing my mind each time about posting because I didn't want to appear negative or critical. I thought it being a Model T video posted on a Model A website, most guys here wouldn't even bother viewing it. Because of the ever-growing thread of replies, however, I feel something does need to be said.
First let me state that the video is entertaining and is good as a primer on Model T's. The film clips were well-selected and interesting, and the narration was pleasant-sounding. But - given that it has been posted on a Model A website, the warts and hairs contained in the video probably won't receive the same intensity of scrutinizing as it would, had this been about Model A's. Being a lover and owner of both Model T's and Model A's, I must warn the readers here that there were a great number of mistakes, half-truths and old wives' tales perpetuated in the narration. It's clear that the research for the script was taken from Wikepedia or some other "almost" factual source. For this audience of Model A readers, there's no point in going into detail and correcting the errors, many of which consist of not finishing a statement to make it accurate. Such examples of this include the comment about the old saw "Any color as long as it's black", which is debated to this day whether it was an actual Henry Ford quote or just another one of the millions of Tin Lizzie jokes floating around during the Model T era. No matter WHO said it, this statement is only partially true because Model T's DID come in colors between model year 1909 (introduced in 1908) and early 1914, and then again between 1926-27. Between 1915 and 1925 the only color was black, this is true (special "fleet" orders in other colors notwithstanding). So, only 11 years of Lizzie's 19 year lifespan were spent in black. Also, the narration makes the $5.00 daily wage seem as though it were always in effect, when it wasn't instituted until the T had already been around a few years - and the workers didn't get that extra money above the base wages UNLESS they stayed on the job at least one full year. There are numerous examples of this kind of quasi-correct information scattered throughout this video, including calling the Model T a "Model A" on at least one occasion. I was waiting for the narration to claim that Henry Ford invented the car! I have actually heard that in other so-called "documentaries." Good grief!!!
My intent here is NOT to bash this entertaining video; rather, it is to tell the guys here not use it as their one source of Model T knowledge. If they do, it will take a great effort to UN-learn many of the "facts" stated therein.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 03-06-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Rene R

Thanks for that thoughtful insight.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
holdover

In what I see and hear I go by the old quote, but I don't know who said it, "I believe nothing of what I hear and only half of what I see" this is especially true today with computer graphics. The video was enjoyable, especially liked the wheel making part.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
blgitn

Thank you for your critical review of the video.
Inaccurate? yes, but it still made me miss my T's.

:-)

Anybody got an extra one?!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
SkimmerBob

Maybe it's a Michael Moore film,
that's his style half truths and accusations.
Unfortunately people take his crap as gospel and its made him a fortune.
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Jim Huseby

Thanks for posting it. I was entertained. However, most people I encounter get 99% of their view of history, cultural clues, how to dress and groom, how to talk, and exactly what to think from the television and popular media. The television even tells them that they are clever end in-the-know for watching their PROGRAMMING. (Did I mean formatting the presentations or programming the viewers?) So now, I will have to deal again with a whole new group of informed insiders telling me that the driver of the 15 millionth "T" touring featured, who looked an awful lot like Edsel was Henry, that the car was a four door convertible, that "T"s didn't have starters, "any color as long as it's black"....
But anyway, thanks again for posting it. I did enjoy it.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

blgitn -
How about a very inexpensive 1922 Coupe for $3850, including new Classtique (NOT cartouche!) interior?
Marshall
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Dave Mellor NJ

As I said I posted it here because I rarely view the T forum. It worked as there were 14 replies. I put it on AACA forum and didn't get any.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #16
Marshall V. Daut

Dave -
'Still an interesting video. Thanks for posting it here.
Marshall
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ View Post
A friend sent me this neat video. I should post it on the T forum but I'd never see any response.

http://safeshare.tv/w/ShbgvwazCZ
What an incredible coincidence I just saw that video for the first time on Saturday this past weekend. I belong to a professional organization that teaches manufacturing techniques and that same video was used in a presentation that I sat through.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 03-07-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Damn Spell check!
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
blgitn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
blgitn -
How about a very inexpensive 1922 Coupe for $3850, including new Classtique (NOT cartouche!) interior?
Marshall
Marshall; PM sent.

-Roger