Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #61
Vonn Ditch

Default Re: A true barn find?

That car has survived until now in one piece. So, I'd call it a survivor.
I like it a lot and I would certainly give the selling price on Ebay to own one just like it.

I've got a 40 coupe in pretty much the same condition body wise, but mechanically sound. I have more fun with that car than I have with any restored car I've owned.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #62
29ModelA

To me if you are only changing service parts that would need to be changed or repaired when it was put away it is still a survivor.

I drug my car out and re-assembled it, it has no value unless you can drive it amd preserve whats left and likely would continue to rot if you drug it out and let it just sit. By putting it back in service you are continuing to preserve it, and enjoy it.

I know when I park my original patina'ed car next to a line of restored Model A's, it gets more attention than the restored ones, and that ticks off 'some' of the guys that dropped the money restoring their cars. Others come and drool with the regular people. I never say it is original, I always say it is 'mostly original'.

And I don't have to worry about scratches I let any child that asks politely or just looks interested in it to sit in it if they would like and honk the horn.

I wipe mine with motor oil once per year.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!

Last edited by 29ModelA; 09-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #63
karasmer

Yes that is an original 21 inch"made in the USA" tire and seems plenty usable. What I find amazing with this car is that it is an un-rodded, un-restored roadster not pieces and parts of one. Sure I see plenty of tudors and such in this condition but a (roadster), usually somebody caught wind of it stashed away and eventually got it decades ago. The value I see in it is a new puzzle to work with, down the road when all the original roadster bodies have been rodded, restored. or pieced out. In the meantime it can be a drivable great conversation piece. I have heard plenty of stories of cars completely rusting out in dirt floor barns, who knows, odds are though it spent some time outdoors. We had a family gathering today and I caught some family members out in the barn (non car people) gawking at it with admiration and not so much with my other A's. They were amazed how well both doors operated clicking nicely into the closed position. If it wasn't so rusted it would be a score of a lifetime for me.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #64
Bob Bidonde

I think that your "Barn Find" will be very competitive in original class judging if you do not restore it.

Give it a good cleaning, and rub the paint with a protectant. Do what is necessary using original parts to make the car safe and fun to drive. Drive it a lot!

Enter it in original class judging and bring home some trophies to give your Model A some prominence. Put together a show & tell story board of the cars history to the best you can.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #65
karasmer

Well I have been cleaning and oiling her up, got the windshield and top bows free, also added some new photos on page 1. Best I can tell as to what's missing are the rumble lid hinges and the rear bumper. It definitely was an original rumble seat model.

Last edited by karasmer; 10-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #66
ronn

like your style 29..........

would that be used or new motor oil you wipe it down with?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #67
karasmer

I found a page from an old newspaper behind the seat, guessing was about 1940 due to an article about staying neutral in the war. There was an interesting ad for rebuilding the Ford V-8 for $39.50. I don't think this paper would have survived if the car was stored outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (109.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (243.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #68
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

like your style 29..........

would that be used or new motor oil you wipe it down with?
I use new, used motor oil tends to have a lot of contaminants that I think would do more harm than good.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote