Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
MartinJ

Default Converting fixed wheels to demounable ones without using demountable rims

In the UK it is possible to purchase a kit, that I understand is a reproduction of a period one, that by fitting studs to the hub back plate's, and the outer plate is screwed to the wheel, with a second outer plate screwed to the rear face of the wheel. The centre of the wheel has to be slightly enlarged to allow the wheel to slip over the hub.The wheel goes onto the studs as a modern wheel does, with Dome nuts on the outside to hold the wheel in place.

Does any one have knowledge of either the original period conversion or of the fitting and use of the modern copy.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Converting fixed wheels to demounable ones without using demountable rims

T's not fitted with demountable rims in the US from the factory used two different sized wheels, 30 X 3-1/2 in the rear and 30 X 3 in the front from 1908 up to 1926. I have never seen the conversion, but in the book "The Model T Ford Owner the best of Murray Fahnestock" there is a section that covers the it. I do not recall seeing a "modern" kit to do this install. Not sure what the dates are, but Canadian and maybe other countries that built/assembled the T's may have used same size wheels all around so would have worked better for doing this. In the US, we would have to swap wheels to all same size to be of any advantage doing a setup like that or would have had to carry 2 wheels. While shorter spoke wheels might work ok for doing this, the tall thin spokes of the Model T maybe not so much. Some cars built, like Chrysler products and others in the early 30's that had the option of wood wheels, did have demountable wheels but they were built as a unit rather then just loose spokes like the T would have been.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
MartinJ

Default Re: Converting fixed wheels to demounable ones without using demountable rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
T's not fitted with demountable rims in the US from the factory used two different sized wheels, 30 X 3-1/2 in the rear and 30 X 3 in the front from 1908 up to 1926. I have never seen the conversion, but in the book "The Model T Ford Owner the best of Murray Fahnestock" there is a section that covers the it. I do not recall seeing a "modern" kit to do this install. Not sure what the dates are, but Canadian and maybe other countries that built/assembled the T's may have used same size wheels all around so would have worked better for doing this. In the US, we would have to swap wheels to all same size to be of any advantage doing a setup like that or would have had to carry 2 wheels. While shorter spoke wheels might work ok for doing this, the tall thin spokes of the Model T maybe not so much. Some cars built, like Chrysler products and others in the early 30's that had the option of wood wheels, did have demountable wheels but they were built as a unit rather then just loose spokes like the T would have been.
I understand your comment about having different size wheels in the US. But my T is a 1915 Canadian built one with four 30 x 3-1/2 wheels, as most if not all T's in the UK are. Although mine was imported from Canada, relatively recently

I will attempt to find a copy of The Model T Ford Owner the best of Murrey Fahnestock', but if it was possible to copy at least part of the article you refer too, It would be much appreciated.

The supplier in the UK does not provide any pictures, but is quite adamant that the kit he sells is a copy of a period one. He has a kit fitted to his 1911 tourer and the kits can be spotted as fitted on many T’s, by noticing the external doomed nuts, rather the flush bolt heads, as normal.

I have attempted to find details on the Webb, but only get info on demountable rims
Old 10-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
redmodelt

RE coping the pages, sorry no can do. I don't think you will find much on this in the US. People doing this change over would be very far and few. I don't think I have ever even see a car with this setup. There may be some over here, I don't know. You might ask on the Model T Ford Club of America (anyone can sign up and post) or one of the T Facebook pages. There are a number of guys from across the world on all those sites.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
stevests

I believe the accessory McLaren wire wheels utilize the same installation that you're describing - they mount up to an original Ford hub.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
MartinJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the comments and I will also try on the suggested alternative sites.
In the meanwhile I am attempting to attaching to post a picture of a 1915 T clearly showing the adaptor studs complete with domed nuts, for information.