Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default Please educate me on scammers when selling a car

I’m selling my son’s Suburu on Craigslist, and within an hour, I had three responses and all seem to be scams. Latest guy said he’d pay my asking price sight unseen and throw in $50 for holding it for him. Just asked for my address to send the cashiers check. He said he’s away from St. Louis now and can’t see the car, and he’s really busy with his daughter’s wedding. I said no reasonable person buys a used car without driving it, and for him to let me know when he can stop by to see it. So I assume that’ll be the last I hear from him.

What’s the angle and how do they expect to cheat me? If he sends me a fake check, will he really expect me to let him pick up my car?

Pretty depressing when everybody appears to be a crook.

Thanks

Bruce
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
philipswanson

Default Re: Please educate me on scammers when selling a car

Allot of people buy cars sight unseen. I bought my '40 Ford Woodie that way for $85K in Vermont and I live in San Diego. Yours could be a scam but not because people don't buy cars without seeing them because they do if they really want the car.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

Fair point. But we’re talking about a 2013 Subaru. Lots of them to drive and pick from locally. I would assume that if a reasonable person wanted a car, they’d call for a better description and find out if I’m not trying to scam them.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
ford38v8

Bruce, I agree, that's a scam. They begin by getting you committed to selling to them, and then the conditions fall into place later. The first hook is the extra $50 to make you think you have to continue giving good will exceptions to normal business practice.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
FortyNiner

Mostly, they seem to want names, email addresses, and phone numbers. Not responding to the wave of responses that come shortly after a new Craigslist ad is the best plan . The bots that reply with some or much of the ad content are typical.

Good luck with the sale. Tis a difficult time.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
papanomad

these days everything is instant except for checks clearing. the check will probably not clear.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
flatford8

There must be some type of program that notifies them of a new ad. I’ve gotten a similar reply as you did when selling a dump truck, a motorcycle and an exercise machine. All at different times. I’ve gotten so I hate trying to sell stuff on some of the sites that specialize in items for sale. It can be a real PITA ...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
RalphM

I too have received the dreaded scammer answers when selling cars on Craigslist. So I always answer the supposed buyer the same way, show up with cash and I’ll sell you the car!
Yes it limits my perspective buyer field, but it cuts out 99% of the bulls€]+.
It always starts with “ I really want the car , but”
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
Mike in Mass

I feel your pain Bruce .I have sold allot of goodies on CL over the years andd I have found thast you kinda have to be as DICK. Simple ,to the point description, many many photos.I also like to state a few obvious conditions like ,,,,NO you cant fix it in my drivway,No trades ,No I will not drive 30 miles to meet you halfway for a 30 dollar item .Just make pretend your talking to complete morons.I call them CL People. Get readdy for promises and lies ,,,,,thats what you get most of the time ...
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
chap52

An honest person wants your car. But caution is always needed.
Had a friend selling a nice Ford 4x4. The buyer looked at the truck and called later saying he had arranged financing with the bank. The buyer was brought to the sellers house by a friend. The buyer and seller were going to the bank to close the deal.
The buyer asked if he could drive the truck with the seller to the bank. No problem. When they went into the bank they were greeted by a bank employee, told them why they were there. The buyer then recalled that he had left his wallet and ID in the truck, got the key from the seller went out to get his wallet. After a few minutes the seller and banker went outside and discovered that the buyer had disappeared with the truck.
Good news is this guy was a real idiot, apparently working the scam for someone else. He is now doing three years in an Arizona State Prison.
Pretty smooth....almost...
If out of state I have successfully used electronic wire transfers. You can open a new acct., have the funds wired to the account, when it clears immediately transfer the funds into an active account nd close the "convenience acct.
Other than that, you accompany them on the test drive (don't leave their partner waiting in your living room), accept only cash and require a copy of their Drivers License info (look at it) explaining that you need the info when you advise Motor Vehicles of the sale.
If it feels wrong...walk away... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Bruce_MO

Update... all four contacts so far have evidently been scammers. Last two wanted me to run a title report. So, for $23 I ran a report (totally clean) and sent a copy with the VIN obliterated. So they suddenly lost interest!

Other part of the story... bought the car a year ago for my 15 year old son but we mutually decided the clutch was problematic for him and it was too small for his goalie hockey gear. Bought it on Craigslist from a really nice guy 3 miles away. Four weeks after buying the car, my wife and I are at a wedding reception for daughter of good friends, and by coincidence, we are sitting at the dinner next to the guy I bought the car from! His son married their other daughter. Small world in StL
Old 03-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
Vics Stuff

I do not do any deals over craigs list via texting . I am a old school guy . call then stop by. No time to waste on BS.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
Ross F-1

Every ad I've had on CL for the last 6 months has almost immediately resulted in a text saying, "There are so many scams on CL, let me send you a Code you can enter at this website. That will confirm you are legit".

No, I'm not clicking on your link. Longing for the old days when all you had to worry about was boner pill spammers.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
aussie merc

dont feel that your an easy target its the same the world over go with your gut feelings if their genuine they will find a way to complete the deal
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #15
Tinker

My thinking on craiglist is...

...No electronic payment like western digital or cashier checks. Cash only or clear funds.
...Never take them to your place. Met in a neutral place.

Suburu guys are just as crazy as us ford guys. Telling you they will give you $50 dollars to hold a car is no big deal. (see above) Now if they offer you a check for 2k over the price and say you pay me the 1k on pickup because..... It's a scam. Something for nothing.

Better safe then sorry. Lot of good people also.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #16
tiger.1000

Here in the UK I recently advertised a car for £37,500. A man called Jerry Bryant emailed me stating that he would like to buy it for his son who lived in Cyprus....Mr Bryant lived in Greece.
We agreed a price and sure enough, as promised a bank draft arrived in the post and yes sent from Greece....Curiously the draft was for £45,500 ! Yes, considerably in excess of the asking price. Needless to say Mr Bryant was unable to view the car as he was busy working on an oil rig.....sound familiar?

I didn't pay the draft in to my account for obvious reasons.

Interestingly, had I done so, according to them that know, it would have "cleared" and of course at that stage I would release the car to Mr Bryant's shipping company.

Now, here's the catch.....even though your account may be temporarily credited with a considerable sum of money it is a "fraudulent transaction" and for that reason at any time in the future you may be debited with a very large sum and end up with no car !

Needless to say, Mr Bryant has terminated email correspondence and has disappeared....

A pal of mine who is an IT genius managed to trace the scource of the email address...Greece....NO ! Cyprus..NO!
USA....Yes !

Beware...they are out there to scam us !

So, Jerry Bryant....THE BARN IS WATCHING YOU !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg £45,500 cheque 001.jpg (31.8 KB, 55 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
redmodelt

Really old school, turned text messaging off on the phone service I use. In the past I when I still had text, I stated very clearly in the ad NO TEXT messages, if I was sent one it just was deleted. Figured if they can't read the ad, they are scammers or bots.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #18
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Please educate me on scammers when selling a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_MO View Post
I’m selling my son’s Suburu on Craigslist, and within an hour, I had three responses and all seem to be scams. Latest guy said he’d pay my asking price sight unseen and throw in $50 for holding it for him. Just asked for my address to send the cashiers check. He said he’s away from St. Louis now and can’t see the car, and he’s really busy with his daughter’s wedding. I said no reasonable person buys a used car without driving it, and for him to let me know when he can stop by to see it. So I assume that’ll be the last I hear from him.

What’s the angle and how do they expect to cheat me? If he sends me a fake check, will he really expect me to let him pick up my car?

Pretty depressing when everybody appears to be a crook.

Thanks

Bruce
Have your son handle selling the car you bought for him.

Just double check who he is selling it to - how he is getting paid.

He needs to learn to do things for himself.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
Aarongriffey

I had a future customer who was buying a 1948 lnternational pickup for $8,000. He was in Piedmont (Oakland suburb), the truck was in Washington or Oregon.
Since the seller was on an oil rig and had just started a new contract he could not be there and had lost his storage.
So he hired a company withe the name Stockholm in it to handle the deal for him.
They would haul the truck to the buyer after buyer sends the money, the buy checks it out for three days and if he doesn’t like it he gets his money back and they pick up the truck, no questions asked.
So he sent the company the money.
A day or two later they notified him they had been involved in a bad accident just north of Reno.
He has never heard from them since and that includes the seller.
He contacted Nevada and CA police and they know nothing about a truck accident that day in Nevada or CA.
I must also say that if the buyer wants to send you more than the asking price, it’s a scam.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #20
ford38v8

Aaron, FYI, To be precise, Piedmont is a city which is landlocked within the city limits of Oakland, Ca.