Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
Osage Orange

Default Re: Brattons new reflectors?

We don't know how well the lights themselves were aimed, so oncoming light issues should be taken with a grain of salt. Gotta think that the new reflectors and halogen bulbs are a great step forward in safety, though. Folks who have them, please keep posting your experiences.
Osage Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Charlie Stephens

If you think they are good with 6 volt bulbs the people with 12 volts should try the 12 volt bulbs from Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940. Look for "Brite" bulbs in their catalog (note they spelled it wrong). Although I haven't tried them with the Bratton's reflector they sure work good in my '32. Note they go right into the original sockets.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #23
Bob Johnson

If cars coming towards you are flashing their lights because your lights are blinding them it is likely not because your lights are too bright. It is more likely that your lights are adjusted wrong. Correctly adjusted Model A headlights will have the low beam pointed more towards the ground. See the Service Bulletins for the correct way to adjust the headlights.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #24
TomballMottershaw

Does anyone make a 6V LED 5000K headlight bulb ?
TomballMottershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #25
Bob Johnson

I have only found one company making 6V LED headlight bulbs that will fit Model A sockets. They are in England and cost £25.00 each or 2 for £48.00. (note that is pounds not dollars) See link below.

Bob

LED Headlight Bulbs
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #26
updraught

I wonder how good the old optics are on low beam ...

From my understanding this is what we should be aiming for, so to speak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#Low_beam

and this is from our regulations, apparently, which may be different in your neck of the woods. Anyway, there should be a nice cutoff of light when shining on a wall. That's the theory anyway form what I can figure.

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin hot View Post
ok...so here's another question...I have noticed several people make comments about how cars coming towards them flash their lights because of how bright the new defectors are....isn't that a bad thing? I know I get irritated when a car goes past me with it's high's on, or stupid aftermarket lights that aren't designed right.....isn't there a happy medium? Bright enough to see safely by, not too bright to on coming drivers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I guess my question is should I use the Halogen 6 volt bulbs that fit in the original sockets or go back to a standard 32/50 cp bulb? I was hoping for better results from Bratton's new reflectors. If the yellow tint is from the lens can this be corrected or do I look for new lens? Thanks
As mentioned the reflectors are designed to use a specific filament in a specific location to get the proper focus. The filaments should come to a point and not be flat across.

The halogens, while brighter than the stock bulbs, need extra care to see that they provide a properly focused light on the road and not just a bright light shining out all over the place in front of the car.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #28
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
I have only found one company making 6V LED headlight bulbs that will fit Model A sockets. They are in England and cost £25.00 each or 2 for £48.00. (note that is pounds not dollars) See link below.

Bob

LED Headlight Bulbs
Interesting how they say to align the LED lights:

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...lamp-bulbs.php

Looks like they use Cree LED's so they should be good.
I've spent too many pounds lately ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #29
Rancho Deluxe

Hi Barners,
My 30 fordor now has a set of these reflectors and I use 32/32 cp bulbs. My originals had worn silverplate so the new ones are much brighter and look better in the daytime too. There was one problem: The reflector material seems to be plastic. It offers no ground path for the two low power "parking" lights or marker lights. The mains ground to the shell by the socket mount and its positioning spring-and-screw arrangement. To allow my low power marker lamps to light, I connected the socket shell of the light bulb holder to the main headlight positioning spring with a soldered stranded copper wire. Rancho
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Deluxe View Post
Hi Barners,
My 30 fordor now has a set of these reflectors and I use 32/32 cp bulbs. My originals had worn silverplate so the new ones are much brighter and look better in the daytime too. There was one problem: The reflector material seems to be plastic. It offers no ground path for the two low power "parking" lights or marker lights. The mains ground to the shell by the socket mount and its positioning spring-and-screw arrangement. To allow my low power marker lamps to light, I connected the socket shell of the light bulb holder to the main headlight positioning spring with a soldered stranded copper wire. Rancho
The catalog states, " The new reflector is aluminum plated, polished and sealed from the air." Could it be this coating on the aluminum that makes you think it is made from plastic? I haven't ordered them yet.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #31
CountrySquire55

I have the new reflectors on my 1931 160B and they are great! The focusing screw really works well with them. I am using regular 6V double filament 32/32 bulbs and can now finally see decently while driving at night. I highly recommend the new reflectors!
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #32
MrBruce

I've wondered how good they were (the Bratton units). I have original "silvered" reflectors and most cars that come towards me at night flash there lights at me. They are aimed good as it lights my side of the road up great. I have had them for over 30 years and they are as bright now as they were when I bought the car. I don't know if anyone still silvers the reflectors? I run stock bulbs and they are the better than my modern car for light.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #33
JamesAC

Just went through a redo of my original 6 volt headlight system on my 1930. The more expensive of the two reflector models Snyder's sold has the right depth that I can now focus my bulbs perfectly. With proper aiming, which I set up just like the old bulletins tell you to, I great incredibly good road illumination for an old car.
JamesAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #34
John Kuhnast

How can I tell if mine are original or re pros?
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #35
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuhnast View Post
John I THINK the originals were brass and the popular replacements used in the 60's-'70's were steel. If I'm right you can check by using a magnet.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuhnast View Post
Let's start with how are they plated?

Here is some more info;

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/Aheadlampreflectors.htm

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 12-15-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote