Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Joebeeker

Default V8-60 and Model A

I need some information and "how to do" for my project.

I currently building from the ground up/part by part a 1930 Huckster and have the opportunity to acquire a 1937 V8-60 and transmission for my project.

How much trouble or problems are there to install the V8-60 in place of the Model A engine?

The A engine I have needs a complete rebuild and the V8-60 is in running condition and I am currently working on the A chassis at this time and there is still time to convert.

My main goal is to keep the Huckster as stock on the outside as possible with the V8-60.

Other questions I have is there any modifications to the Rear Axle/Torque Tube assembly need for the transmission, what is the best way to attach the radiator to the engine while using the 1930 Radiator Shell, How do you mount the V8-60 on the frame.....ect..ect.

Thank you in advance!

Joebeeker
Joebeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: V8-60 and Model A

Might be a fun project but the answers to your questions might be answered faster in the Hot Rod forums.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

The V8 60 is a lot smaller (136 cubic inches) than the Model A (200 cubic inches). You get more horsepower stock but less torque. Both engines can be hopped up with speed equipment but the more inches you start with the better. If you run a Model A engine you might save on your insurance (check with your agent). The V8 60 will run a little smoother since it has more and smaller pistons but I would stay with the Model A. A previous poster suggested the Hot Rod forums, I would suggest the Model A Forum at this site since that is the chassis you are talking about. It is definitely a judgment call but if you were talking about a small block Chevy I would say the Hot Rod Forum. What you are asking about is something done (or observed) a long time ago by people that tend to hang out of the Model A Forum (learn from their mistakes and don't do it).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

The 60 is a cute little engine but is expensive to build and with a little work you can make over 60hp with a Model A engine. Better yet see if you can find a Model B engine and a model B trans. They will bolt right in your Model A no problem. I have a B engine in my 31 Model A w/B trans that I put 39-48 gears in and 39 top shifter, high compression head , down draft carb, 35# flywheel, .060 overbore. 354 rear gears, will cruise 60-65 easy. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Richard Wilson

Way to much work and expense. We had a man in our Model A club install a V8-60 in his 30 coupe. He could not keep up with the stock Model A's on the hills! Needless to say, he pulled the V8-60 in less than a month and put in a stock Model A 4 cylinder engine. Only good thing about the V8-60 was he did not have to cut the firewall. It requires to many modifications to list. Just know that EVERY piece of the drive train has to be modified from the radiator to the rear end including all of the mounting brackets.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebeeker View Post

I currently building from the ground up/part by part a 1930 Huckster and have the opportunity to acquire a 1937 V8-60 and transmission for my project.

How much trouble or problems are there to install the V8-60 in place of the Model A engine?

The A engine I have needs a complete rebuild and the V8-60 is in running condition and I am currently working on the A chassis at this time and there is still time to convert.

My main goal is to keep the Huckster as stock on the outside as possible with the V8-60.

Other questions I have is there any modifications to the Rear Axle/Torque Tube assembly need for the transmission, what is the best way to attach the radiator to the engine while using the 1930 Radiator Shell, How do you mount the V8-60 on the frame.....ect..ect.

Thank you in advance!

Joebeeker
Joe,
These guys have given you the straight skinny here, that you will find to be true ...if you continue this path.
I took the path of Walt Dupont and I figure that my four banger makes 80/100 horses as configured. It ain't cheap neither! But, the cute LITTLE V860(to hop up)will blow your pocketbook up!! Difference being TORQUE. The ford four banger (mine) will even run off ahead of any stock full sized V8 flattys , as it's geared/engineered in a light body for that task. On the other hand, I know guys whose V8 60 is decked out beautifully with thousands of dollars of pretty extras....but NOT one foot pound more torque. You will also eventually find that you are restricted to the "peanut" V8 60 transmission(mostly)as no one makes an adaptor for a beefy '39 type toploader! Anyway, lots to consider..been there/done that. Good luck.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
ford1

i agree with the rest of the guys, the v/8 60 makes a good display in your garage, leave it there
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
PeteVS

If you go digging, there's an AV8 social group (a little defunct lately) here on the FordBarn and this question was raised there. Here's a link for some more discussion...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group....iscussionid=23
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Hoop

Some of us have done it. I've sent you a PM with some information.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #10

Wow !

There is alot of pent up V8 60 envy here on the barn.

V8 60's are not for freeway Touring, but are a lot of fun on the back roads. They are very rare and unique. I've taken my 37 Tudor with the original V8 60 to a Western Regional Early Ford V8 show and the amount of positive comments and attention the V8 60 receives, leaves a lot of the more common bigger engine cars wishing they could draw and hold a crowd like the V8 60 does.

I like them so much, I've acquired (2) 37's with s.s. sides, (3) 37/38/39 with cast sides and a 40.

If I'm going on the freeway, I'll drive my 38 Coupe with the 85 hp.

Those that own the 60's usually love them and know their limitations. Those that don't own them usually knock them. To each their own. I wouldn't trade any of my 60's for a bigger V8.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebeeker View Post

Thank you in advance!

Joebeeker
You have picked as noble project but very expensive to do right.
The 39 transmission can be adapted to the V860 ok.
A 37 is NOT the year model to do the project with.
Use a 40. You can research the details of the difference.
Forget doing the project with a stock V860, like everyone else has said.
A street version of the engine can make 90 hp easily.
I helped build a MG TD with a V860 in it many moons ago and it was a real winner on the sporty car tracks.
Again, expensive to do.
If you plan on hanging around model A guys with your car, it might be a good idea to go with an A or B engine to avoid flak and verbal abuse.
Most model A people are so narrow minded that they can see with both eyes through a keyhole.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Roger W Gerow

Should you decide to intall the V8 60 in your Model A, It would be wise to consider a 4.11 ring and pinion. This engine developes its torque at a higher rpm than the Model A engine.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #13

And for those that didn't already know, the stock rear gears in a 37 Tudor with a V8 60 are 4:44. (Helps it get going)
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote