Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
Habusailor

Default Transmission swap

I have a 57 Fairlane 500 with the 2 speed automatic. I am having problems getting the transmission rebuilt. Finding parts and a shop to work on it has been a challenge. What is my best fit for converting to a more up to date 3 speed auto tranny?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Transmission swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habusailor View Post

I have a 57 Fairlane 500 with the 2 speed automatic. I am having problems getting the transmission rebuilt. Finding parts and a shop to work on it has been a challenge. What is my best fit for converting to a more up to date 3 speed auto tranny?
Here is a parts source for your 3S FOM - https://www.charlietranny.com/

Possibly he can recommend a re-builder in your area.

How do you use the car?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
dmsfrr

Default Re: Transmission swap

How much were you able to drive the car before the transmission went south?
The stock transmission and axle gear ratios will put you at approx 3000 rpm at 70 mph. A lower rpm at that speed will feel much more comfortable. Even around town with my Fordomatic the engine is wound up more than I'd prefer.
If you'd like to do a fair amount of hiway driving you might prefer an AOD swap, for the overdrive.

(edit)
basic AOD info...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-10-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add link
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Habusailor

Replying to previous comments. I would like to do some touring with the car so an auto overdrive would be the answer. I drove the car into the guys shop over a month ago. It was not shifting well and had a whistle when in gear. He did a rebuild but torque converter was shot, he found another tranny and was able to get parts he needed from the two of them. He is still struggling with some things mainly having help to work on it. He is in mid 70s and his main guy has been sick. Not sure how good this tranny will be when done so wondering what model transmissions guys have put in that are adaptable to the y-block.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Transmission swap

Quote:

I would like to do some touring with the car so an auto overdrive would be the answer.
First, you will need an adapter kit - https://transmissionadapters.com/col...ck-to-ford-aod - and either a later AOD (stronger) core to have redone or a specialty assembly.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Does your 57 Fairlane 500 have a 223 6-cylinder, a Y-block V8 , or maybe a later FE V8?

The Ford-O-Matics can be hard to find some parts for. Cruise-O-Matics from 58 up are better but it always depends on what engine you have.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
Habusailor

Rotorwrench I have a y block

Old 10-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Bendtsen's Speed Gems seem to be the go to guys for the AOD to Y-block stuff. They just use machined block and crankshaft adapters to connect transmissions to the different engines. There are a lot of other folks that have adapters for the C4 or Chevy trans converions.

I'd go AOD if a person want's the best of the low and high speed performance but they are large transmissions and tend to really fill up the tunnel. If you just want a good 3-speed, the C4 is hard to beat.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
55blacktie

There are T5 conversion kits available for Y-blocks as well, if you don't mind shifting. The "World Class" T5/w 2.95 1st gear is the most desirable.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
Habusailor

Thanks rotowrench that is the info I was looking for

Old 10-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
paul2748

For Fordo parts, try Fatsco Transmission Parts in Pine Bro9k, NJ
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
ClarkSparks

Quote:

I believe a Cruise-O-Matic (3 speed) will bolt in and is the same length.
Units from the 1950’s are all iron housing but starting in the 1960’s the bell housing and tail housings were changed to aluminum (the center section remained cast iron).
These transmissions were used on full sized Fords through 1965 and pickups through 1967.
ClarkSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Transmission swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkSparks View Post

I believe a Cruise-O-Matic (3 speed) will bolt in and is the same length.
Units from the 1950’s are all iron housing but starting in the 1960’s the bell housing and tail housings were changed to aluminum (the center section remained cast iron).
Correct.

But you would want a 61/ unit as it went from TV to modulator valve.

If it was my car and choice (and IMO only), I would do a later FMX install, getting a much stronger trans that still has easy parts (incl HP) parts availability. The FMX will give you SELECT-SHIFT (over DUAL RANGE) and would also not need an expensive adapter kit.

More Info - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fordtransmissionforum/

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
rotorwrench

The FMX is a good transmission but it wasn't further developed for hard use like the C4 has been. There is a lot of stuff available to make a strong C4 but the FMX, not so much. The C4 needs a Flat-O adapter to make life easy and the FMX needs the two holes drilled to fit with the bell. Both need the bushing in the crank to support the torque converter and both likely need adaptation of the rear mount plus oil cooler connects. Different C4 converters can be found through performance sources but FMX converters are basically just stock standard units.

Difficulty factor is about the same so they are both compatible units.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
55blacktie

Neither FMX nor C4 has overdrive.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Bendtsen's Speed Gems seem to be the go to guys for the AOD to Y-block stuff. They just use machined block and crankshaft adapters to connect transmissions to the different engines. There are a lot of other folks that have adapters for the C4 or Chevy trans converions.

I'd go AOD if a person want's the best of the low and high speed performance but they are large transmissions and tend to really fill up the tunnel. If you just want a good 3-speed, the C4 is hard to beat.
The AOD will clear the tunnel just fine I have an AOD in my '54 some guys I know have AODE's in their '57 cars.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
55blacktie

The AODE has wider gear ratios and a lower 1st than the AOD and doesn't have TV cable issues; however, it is computer-controlled.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #18
rotorwrench

Yup, computer conroled AODs have to have all the sensors and a computer to run it all. The TV cable is a lot simpler but anything is possible. Many of the earlier AODs have been updated with the stronger drum & band of the later model as well a a few other tricks to make them stronger. A person can buy them with all the mods already done now days.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Yup, computer conroled AODs have to have all the sensors and a computer to run it all. The TV cable is a lot simpler but anything is possible. Many of the earlier AODs have been updated with the stronger drum & band of the later model as well a a few other tricks to make them stronger. A person can buy them with all the mods already done now days.
This company has been around for a while they do have a simple solution to using the AODE. https://www.becontrols.com/aode.shtml
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
reman

I have read through this a few times and am still a bit unclear......First off, I don't think you have a 2 spd auto in a 57, unless it was added. I think the 2 spd wasn't introduced until 59, or maybe 58. Early Fordomatics only shifted once if started in Drive. You had to start in low to get first gear. Is the current transmission a total aluminum housing? Or is the center section cast iron? ........Next, most all Ford auto's through the mid-late 60;s will fit the 57. You have to be sure and use the Y block flywheel housing and flywheel. Variations of the Cruisomatics and Fmx to name a couple are all 3 speed..........Now, if you just want a bit more modern 3 speed auto, the C4 is the way to go. It is physically smaller and will fit better and the parasitic drag is less. A C6 is a great trans, but larger and bulkier, and still 3 speed. C4 or C6 will require an adaptor. And no real advantage over a later Cruiso. If you want OD (3 speed +OD) why not use an early AOD? It will require an adaptor as well but will give the extra gear. The early ones do not require a computer and are a popular swap for Y block cars. I can see no reason whatsoever to look for a C6. Good luck with it, whichever way you go.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote