Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
Dean Lemoine

Default Tune ups

How often (in miles) do you guys perform routine tune ups? And what all are you checking and adjusting? This being my first Model A, I sometimes feel there’s a need to be constantly tweaking on something even though the car is running really well.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Tune ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine View Post
How often (in miles) do you guys perform routine tune ups? And what all are you checking and adjusting? This being my first Model A, I sometimes feel there’s a need to be constantly tweaking on something even though the car is running really well.
If it’s not broken, don’t fix it!

I have a Model A that was last tuned up in 2001. I have replaced the spark plugs twice since than, but have not touched the timing. Car is driven around 200 miles per year.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Tough question.
It all depends.
These old critters don't need too much.

The points do need some attention when recently replaced. The rubbing block will wear a bit until it 'settles in' meaning the points will need adjusting for awhile. If the timing was set correctly when the points were replaced and set then just re-adjusting the points is all thats needed. Other than this these monsters are fairly bullet-proof.

Oil changes every year or 1000 miles with a good detergent oil. I prefer a 15-40. Along with that is a fluid check and visual check of everything.
Once in awhile the clutch and brakes may need an adjustment.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Bill G

It's interesting how we tend to measure point gap right down to the nat's eyebrow, so to speak. Recently I was on a drive and my car just quit with no other symptoms of loss of power, except for just the last minute or two before dying where it sputtered a bit.

The problem wound up being the points. Stock style with the adjustable point contact within the point block. Stock-style but aftermarket.

I had last timed the car about 9 months before and had driven quite a bit. I had the clamping screw tight so the point contact would not move (So I thought). Over that 9 month period and probably 400-500 miles later, the point contact had backed its way out of the point block to the extent that the gap widened and widened until there was no contact, thus no spark. Easy roadside fix.

My point being that even though we set the points to be "dead-on" which will provide optimum operation and also allow for future wear, the Model A engine is very, very forgiving. Those engines just want to run on a wide variation of point gap.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Gene F

Points...I have seen the modern style point plate units swapped out in just a jiffy roadside on our club tours over the years.
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Tough question.
It all depends.
These old critters don't need too much.

The points do need some attention when recently replaced. The rubbing block will wear a bit until it 'settles in' meaning the points will need adjusting for awhile. If the timing was set correctly when the points were replaced and set then just re-adjusting the points is all thats needed. Other than this these monsters are fairly bullet-proof.

Oil changes every year or 1000 miles with a good detergent oil. I prefer a 15-40. Along with that is a fluid check and visual check of everything.
Once in awhile the clutch and brakes may need an adjustment.
You kind of outlined my game plan. Only variance that means nothing is I’ve been useing Quaker State 10w40, all else Is spot on. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post

I have a Model A that was last tuned up in 2001. I have replaced the spark plugs twice since than, but have not touched the timing. Car is driven around 200 miles per year.

Enjoy.
200 miles a year for 20 years is a grand 4,000 miles and you've replaced the plugs twice????
I use the cheapest TT10 plugs and they have done about 50,000 hard miles in my Tourer. I can still get the same economy figures out of it as I did when they were new and I cannot notice a decrease in power or anything else.
IMO, in these engines a set of plugs is a lifetime proposition and as for tuning, I ask WHY?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
TerryO

Quote:
Or fix it until it is broken.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
Mikeinnj

If it isn't broken - don't fix it !