Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
gwmartin55

Default 32 door seals

Just finished a Henry 5 window coupe. Where do door seals go? What holds them in place? I have a set from Steele rubber, but unsure how and where they mount. Photos would be most helpful, never done one of these before.
gwmartin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
325w

Default Re: 32 door seals

Lower door seal are held along the bottom of the doors with. Metal clips. If your not going for points you can use black plastic Christmas trees from the auto stores. Trim rubber to length. Windlace will be the other after interior is done
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
DavidG

The lower upholstery trim spring clips also retain the rubber door seals. The holes in the door seal should line up with the trim panel clips and the holes in the door inner sheet metal panel. A nickel-plated oval head sheet metal screw and finishing washer were used in the extreme lower corners of the trim panel (and therefore through the rubber door seals at their ends).
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Krylon32

Don't get the impression that your doors are going to be air tight. The lower door seals keep the water out as does the wind lace but if your going for an airtight seal you better buy a new Lincoln. I wish there was a good way to seal up the doors better.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
32phil

Remember wind lace goes on the body not the door. It goes completely around the door opening including the A pillar molding and the lower kick panels. If you look closely you might find some small flat head sheet metal screws or the holes they left. They were used to hold the wind lace on at several places around the opening including under the A pillar molding. It's nailed/screwed on first then the upholstery panels go on.
The seal is made when the door is closed. The bottom seal just goes on the bottom of the door side to side
Old 03-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
gwmartin55

Thank you. Bottom was fairly easy. Front , top and back of door not so simple.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
gwmartin55

Don’t expect a great seal, just trying to not drown on the first rain. No fenders I expect lots of leaks! Bottom easy, does anything go on top of door? Thank you
Old 03-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

You should be just fine - I have a fender less 5-window with just the lower door seals and windlace. It’s dry, certainly not air tight, but I also have a heater just in case !

It’s a Jennie body off of a restored car with original interior, seat, upholstery, the works. It saved a whole lot of time and not that much more expensive than a United Pacific body but having everything in it and ready to go.

Post some pics when you can ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCE09DEC-388D-4BA8-949B-233831E7E8FD.jpg (130.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 4086E0C2-EE3D-4F6B-B6E4-00C6A67A01A1.jpeg (163.2 KB, 19 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #9
gwmartin55

Thanks, that answered my question. We will be driving cross country on the Great Race for 9 days. Bound to hit rain some times in there. Newport Engineering wipers have worked well in the past, so I’m hoping for the best.
Ours looks similar, bought a burnt street rod and put in a flathead with 3 speed.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #10
TomT/Williamsburg

It depends on the angle of the windshield but I use RainX exclusively. I just spray it on and wipe it off. Water just flies off the windshield much better than wipers can. As a matter of fact, I don’t even have wipers on both cars pictured and I have driven the roadster across country three times.

You should take pics and do a daily posting in a thread on your trip here on the Barn this way we are all with you on your adventure!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #11
gwmartin55

Media coverage of the event is well done by the GR organizers. As a participant there is no time for it. After a few days it’s fall into bed late, get up early and do it again. That’s if nothing breaks on the car!