Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
dave in australia

Default canadian roadsters

I was at a car show today and checking out a 28 roadster. While I was looking at the rear of the body, something didn't look quite right. A sly feel with the hand under the panel that the tail light mounts on and felt it was wood clad with metal. I started the usual car chat with the owner and he mentioned that the wood is on Canadian roadsters, I wasn't going to get into a your right/wrong match, and just gave the 'oh okay' look. The question is for Canadian roadster owners, is the panel wood clad with metal or is it like other coupes and roadsters and is an all metal panel, and the owner doesn't know squat.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
MN Stumpjumper

Default Re: canadian roadsters

I had a 29 Canadian model roadster, there was no wood behind that panel on mine.
MN Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
BudP

I have a 1930 Canadian Roadster. There is no wood there, only metal.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Where were wood structured Roadsters and Phaetons produced? Was it somewhere in South America like Brazil or Argentina? I've seen a few.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
columbiA

There is no wood behind the rear body channel on any of the Canadian roadsters or phaetons.I think same sub-frame channel used on coupes as well 28-31.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Tudortomnz

The Ford Australian roadsters had wood as framing, but Canadian ones did not. Production of early roadsters in Australia started in '29 & 2402 were made by the end of 1930. They were a combination of standard & 'sports' [deluxe] types. . In '28, only a very small number [ 9] of steel roadster bodies were imported until they tooled up for 1929 production.
I would like to see an end to the myth of Sth American Model A's as being 'of wood' & different. They were made in the USA [ RHD & some LHD] & assembled in Sth America only.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
The Ford Australian roadsters had wood as framing, but Canadian ones did not. Production of early roadsters in Australia started in '29 & 2402 were made by the end of 1930. They were a combination of standard & 'sports' [deluxe] types. . In '28, only a very small number [ 9] of steel roadster bodies were imported until they tooled up for 1929 production.
I would like to see an end to the myth of Sth American Model A's as being 'of wood' & different. They were made in the USA [ RHD & some LHD] & assembled in Sth America only.
On the Australian wood frame bodies, roadsters and phaetons, the panel that the tail lights mount to is all steel. The wood used was the body stringers and cross pieces except the rear cross piece. Also made of wood were the seat frame and risers.
There were a few steel frame phaetons as well as roadsters inmported early on.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote