Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
M.W.Miller

Default 1940 station wagon restoration

I have the chance to buy a ruff but affordable 40 woodie body, mainly just the sheet metal. no wood for patterns. I would have to come up with lots of parts and plans or old wood to use plus other regular 40 parts. The 38-40 station wagons have always been on my bucket list to own, but they come with a hefty price either way these days. often times we get a project like this; "colossal basket case" home and shortly realize its going to be way to big of a project. Buyers remorse, and try to peddle it off again to the next dreamer. I'm trying here to talk my self out of it? I'm just an average guy who likes this stuff. Who out there has taken on such a project and been successful or thrown in the towel. I guess Some cars just were never ment to be.
M.W.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1940 station wagon restoration

I have restored a 40 wagon that needed all the wood. BIG project! One thing to think about is all the woodie related hardware that is needed. There are many metal brackets and braces that hold the wood to the floorpan and hold the wood together, metal around the slider windows, door latches, hinges, front window winders, dash panel (same as convertible) rear bumper irons, rear fenders, tail light brackets, tailgate handles and more. A lot of this stuff is 40 only as 39 and 41 are different for most of the hardware. I know a very good guy who at one time made all the wood parts for a 40. PM me and I can give you his name and email address and I would be happy to share other info.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
philipswanson

Always worth it to buy a more complete car to start. I paid 85k for mine but it's an all original barn find. Don't be afraid to put down more cash up front.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

my 40 wagon was less than a hulk when I acquired it. yes it was awhile ago but I loved the challenge and found a lot of guys helpful. need to join national woodie club just for the contacts and info, also for want adds to guys who do this all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3060008.jpg (55.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg P2220010.jpg (96.9 KB, 118 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

Mine looked like Alan's (mine missing half the wood) when I bought it in 1973 for $500. I finished it in 2013 but didn't work on it steadily!
It is very rewarding to do one of these but not for the faint of heart. Phillip makes a good point about any car (especially a woodie) to buy the best one you can afford to start with as it is money ahead.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
Bill

I sent this project down the road after five years of slow progress. It's a monumental project that will bleed money,take you away from more important things. Ask me how I know! If you can afford to restore a 40 wagon you can afford to buy a condition 2/3 driver.Prices are coming down. Save yourself the grief buy one thats done. Time is a thief..Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940 woodie #900_920 678.jpg (92.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 1940 woodie #900_920 681.jpg (78.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 1940 woodie #900_920 683.jpg (95.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 1940 woodie #900_920 682.jpg (103.7 KB, 88 views)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Prices are coming down. Save yourself the grief buy one thats done. Time is a thief..Bill
I restored/hot rodded my '38. Every nut and bolt. You're WAY better off buying a nice, finished car. Join the National Woodie Club and follow the classifieds. As Bill said above, prices have softened. All the kids that grew up driving woodies to the beach (or wishing they could) are now in their late 60's. Younger folks don't have the connection that once drove woodie prices over the moon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '38 atWOW-2009.jpg (68.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Miller View Post
I have the chance to buy a ruff but affordable 40 woodie body, mainly just the sheet metal. no wood for patterns. I would have to come up with lots of parts and plans or old wood to use plus other regular 40 parts. The 38-40 station wagons have always been on my bucket list to own, but they come with a hefty price either way these days. often times we get a project like this; "colossal basket case" home and shortly realize its going to be way to big of a project. Buyers remorse, and try to peddle it off again to the next dreamer. I'm trying here to talk my self out of it? I'm just an average guy who likes this stuff. Who out there has taken on such a project and been successful or thrown in the towel. I guess Some cars just were never ment to be.
First think about your age. If you are over 60, you are looking at a project that will slowly drain your pocket and probably take 15-20 years. By then you are 80+ and if lucky you might have a few years left to enjoy the car. If you spend the money now on a ready to drive car, you can enjoy it now and not 20 years down the road. I don't now your skills, but if you have to pay for everything to be done, you will have far more money in the car than if you bought one already done. You will also deal with the frustration of waiting for the repair or paint shop not getting the job done on time as promised. Many of us have been down that same road of building a car from a project in pieces. The older we get we now see the benefit of buying a finished car. The market on 30's and 40's cars is fairly soft, so there are some good bargains out there when you go shopping. JMHO
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Kube

For the most part, I tend to agree with the previous posts. Restoring a wagon is quite different than other models - quite different. It requires an entirely different set of skills in addition to the ones (skills) required for an open or closed model.
Also, as others have eluded to, restoring a wagon is expensive - much more so than other models.
Time to do a project like this? It took me a tad over a year to do the '39. I started with a solid car for the most part and it was quite complete. The car scored 998 the first time shown - something I'm proud of.
Could I have purchased a car of the (completed) level for what was invested? Nope, not for this level - not even close.

Bottom line? I'd think long and hard as to what exactly it is you desire and when you want it.
Prices have come down hard on these wagons in the past five years or so, especially the level 2 - 3 cars. Rest assured unless you are doing nearly all of the work, you won't be able to restore one for what you can buy one for.
Still, the reward of personally restoring one is high. If that's your goal, and if you are able, I say go for it. If not, buy one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the beginning 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5643.jpg (77.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
GB SISSON

For me it has been the journey of building this thing. Just something I have always wanted to do. I also agree with so much of what has been suggested in this thread. For me though, I never seem to get the joy of driving my projects as much as I enjoy rebuilding them. I have about 2 1/2 years of part time on this wagon built from a pickup, and it may be another six months before it's completed. It is decidedly not an original anything, but I have tried with a very limited budget to create something that looks like it was converted years ago. I'm the first to admit, I'm not like the other kids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie as a pickup.jpg (89.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4796.jpg (69.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 077.jpg (57.1 KB, 73 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
M.W.Miller

Thanks to everyone for the good advice!
M.W.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
woodiewagon46

I did my '46 and had to basically replace from the rear doors back and all the panels. I really enjoyed the project. As others have mentioned restoring a Woodie is very different than a car. There are several companies that will be able to sell you a wood kit but as mentioned, the kit is very expensive. As to the metal parts, there is a company called Treehouse Woods that makes and sells the interior metal parts for your '40. Not cheap by any means. A lot has to do with your skills. Replacing the entire wood body yourself can run 20 to 30K. Metal parts can add several thousand more. Couple this with the restoration of the chassis, engine, transmission ETC, can add up very quickly. You need to decide if doing all the work yourself is less than purchasing a finished '40. You also need to ask yourself if you are looking for a nice Woodie to use and have fun with or a high point restoration, huge difference. I can't wait to do another.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Replacing the entire wood body yourself can run 20 to 30K.
I am paying $40k for a new set of 41 wood including varnish, ready to go from one of the best makers. Another well known maker wouldn't give me a fixed bid, just an hourly rate and who knows how much in the end, $50-60k they said these projects usually go to? I'm charged $50 an hour plus materials until the work is finished which I think is a very reasonable rate for expert workmanship. I'm paying more for figured maple panels. Birdseye panels look nice but cost way more!

I am a very competent woodworker myself having made high end cherry furniture for myself. However I decided I didn't like wood working enough to make my own car wood and the fact that I wouldn't accept anything but factory quality whether I made it or not!

It is interesting that the woodie wood makers use very little equipment other than a table saw, band saw, plane and shaper. I asked one guy how he got the shape of the parts right and he responded, "have you heard of a contour gauge?" !!!!!

As for buying one cheaper than restoring, easier said than done and that would require patience. I am not patient. Very difficult to find a fresh restoration at a reasonable price.

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #14
GSCOV

I have a 39 standard woodie available. I had a correct body hand made and varnished 20 years ago. It was $18K then. Could not afford one now. It is a complete car that needed wood. Asking $48 for a complete car that you can finish your way and color. The hard part is done. We used all birdseye maple for the framing and it is beautiful. 3 rows of seats. All small parts as it was a complete car not a basket case. It is rust free as well. Greg (860) 913-4680 CT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wdy51.jpg (73.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg wdy56.jpg (68.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg wdy48.jpg (47.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg wdy52.jpg (66.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg wdy07.JPG (153.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg wdy05.JPG (161.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg wdy12.JPG (143.9 KB, 69 views)
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #15
40ford

What color green is that kube?I am trying to figure out exactly what color green my 40 is!
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
deuce_roadster

I used a late 40 "spring color" Acadia Green on my 40 woodie. It is darker then Cloud Mist Gray but lighter then Yosemite Green. Looks very similar to what is on the 39 of GSCOV's car. Hard to tell in pictures as the representation often is not true.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I used a late 40 "spring color" Acadia Green on my 40 woodie. It is darker then Cloud Mist Gray but lighter then Yosemite Green. Looks very similar to what is on the 39 of GSCOV's car. Hard to tell in pictures as the representation often is not true.
“Acadia Green” is the color on my 40 Tonner in my avatar.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
What color green is that kube?I am trying to figure out exactly what color green my 40 is!
That's Dartmouth, a '39 color.
Not certain what color is on your car in the avatar. however, as has been mentioned, photographs are poor at depicting the "real" color.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCOV View Post
I have a 39 standard woodie available. I had a correct body hand made and varnished 20 years ago. It was $18K then. Could not afford one now. It is a complete car that needed wood. Asking $48 for a complete car that you can finish your way and color. The hard part is done. We used all birdseye maple for the framing and it is beautiful. 3 rows of seats. All small parts as it was a complete car not a basket case. It is rust free as well. Greg (860) 913-4680 CT.
Greg sold me my 36 woodie after I inspected it personally. Very nice fellow and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another car from him sight unseen on his word and a lot of hi res pictures. Greg had several garages full of woodie when I visited him 5 or so years ago. He had enough for his own woodie show. If I didn't already have a 36,41, and 49 woodie I'd be talking to you about your 39 standard. Very nice car Greg. You are selling the complete car for $8k with a $40k+ set of wood, bargain! I haven't seen such a good wagon for sale for $8k! It is a better deal than my 36 was!

BTW I'm going with plain grain solid wood and figured panels on my 41 which is at Ron Heiden's in California now and with only the 4 doors to be made up. Birdseye is too pricey for me.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
ronn

all good advice.

What I have done in the past is, buy the car you intend to buy right, do some work and move it along for a small profit. rinse and repeat and then find the best one for your needs. But I do agree- if you are over 60, might be best to just buy a done car. The wood aspect makes these so much more fun to work on or not, vs all other models. And therein lies the attraction. I also agree Ive seen some nice originals for cheap money on ebay. Nice running cars in the 35-40k range with mostly original wood. Ready to drive................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #21
philipswanson

Thumbs up Re: 1940 station wagon restoration

Walk away and don't look back. Best advise.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #22
Clem Clement

Iagree. I bought a rust bucket 28 AR Phaeton when I was younger and had a few $$.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
sawzall

I've owned my 40 wagon project for almost 11 years now..

well worth the time and effort I invested, however Im not even 50 yet..

photos here: http://recycled40fordwoodie.blogspot...-spectrum.html

I have a few items that would make a restoration easier, some wood, some of the brackets, and the ability to make some wood..

while the "60s'" surfers are liquidating there are still a NUMBER of us under 50 who enjoy these cars.. If the opportunity to purchase another 40 came up.. Id be interested.

finding parts will not be Difficult for a ford.. PAYING for some of them.. may be...