Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Buying engine parts, what to avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
So, who is to blame?
*Why do you buy water foreign waterpumps @ $150 a pair when American labor (Skip) will build them right for $200??

*Why do you buy foreign carbs and fuel pumps from Mac's when Charlie NY will rebuild yours better for less?

*Why do you buy foreign coils when Skip will re build yours to last for your lifetime?

*Why do you buy foreign clutch discs and pressure plates When Fort Wayne has a solid reputation for quality?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get the message? Americans are more interested in price than quality.[/FONT

The solution is up to you
John
John, all good points you make here, and exactly what I tell folks who post here looking for parts or services like you mention.
While working for a major US manufacturing company, I saw first hand the begining of the trend to move our companies manufacturing base, first south of the boarder and then ultimately all of it off shore in an easterly direction to the big Asian country,...it broke my heart to see this happen. I feel that most of the reason for this shift, or trend here in our country at least, was caused by the Greedy American Consumer, who buys strictly by cost rather than by considering quality, etc, etc. Now some will claim it was the manufacturers wanting more profit or their share holders wanting more return on their investments, but I still believe it started, and was driven more by the Greedy Consumers in all of the free enterprise countries.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-04-2016 at 12:48 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 AM   #22
petehoovie

Offshore manufacturing? Look no further than excessive government regulations and taxes here in the U.S.. Regulations and taxes at ALL levels of government - city, state and federal. The EPA forces a lot of manufacturing companies off shore - the environmentalists are out of control. Greedy labor unions play a role as well - cheap labor overseas. We no longer have a work force trained in the vocational skills manufacturing demands. The vilification of the private sector as being the root of all evil. The list goes on and on. All of this impacts the 'bottom line'. With all of this, not much incentive to open a manufacturing business in this country....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #23
Ol' Ron

This is true, just look at Walmart, the largest consumer product company in the world. Based on lo cost products. I met a man about 20 years ago that helped his company move to China. They were originally based in Ct. and made tools. But couldn't compete with the foreign products. Sad but true.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote