Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #561
51504bat

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So on Saturday I took a friend back to the ferry in the woodie and we were a bit late so we did 55 on a couple of straightaways. Been running GREAT! Well I stopped in town before returning home and ol' Woodie wouldn't start back up. One solenoid click then nuttin'..... I'm hanging over the fenders cleaning connections with nothing but a pair of needle nose vicegrips.I have a toolbag I 'always' take with me', but I won't forget it again. I added a couple strips of sandpaper to it's contents too. Six volt or 12 volt, the stuff has to be clean..... Just a reminder to bring a few tools! Nice that good weather is returning!

Maybe just the starter was stuck? I guess you tried the old put in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth to see if it popped loose?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #562
RKS.PA

So, Gary, was the problem the grounds and once you cleaned them up, the Woodie fired right up??
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #563
GB SISSON

Actually the battery terminals and connections to the solenoid were gray and fuzzy. The kind of stuff I sort of expect with an old beater on six volts....The stuff we never addressed as kids with a 200.00 flathead truck, BUT, I have been all through this and re-wired everything a few years back, and 12 volt gm alt... ....still We have to keep these terminals clean. My suburban is a '99 and so it's 22 years old. I don't have to clean the battery terminals so I can get home from town. It's fine though. Any geek can drive a suburban and get home. . What I wonder about is that special grease on electrical connectiions, our dads used vaseline. Like a di-electric thing? What is that?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:26 AM   #564
GB SISSON

Our 'July 4th' celebration and parade is always on a Saturday. I fine time was had by all. We had a great loop of old country music on a powerful boombox on the front bumper... Disney's Woody figure sittin'n on the grille and we all went for lunch after the parade. Don't get much better than that in my book. The woody has been performing admirably lately but I still plan to build a 255 8ba this winter and maybe with a 4 speed crash box behind it. Will I need to do driveshaft modifications to go from a 3 speed to a four speed in a '47 pickup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parade 2021.jpg (126.8 KB, 305 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #565
Bill

That picture is and will be priceless and timeless! happy July 4th! Bill.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #566
flatford8

Happy Fourth Gary, to you and your family!......that’s a great picture with the truck and grand kids!!......hope you all are well.....Mark from way over here
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #567
burnette

nice gary !
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #568
deuce5wndw

Great photo! Happy 4th
deuce5wndw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #569
RKS.PA

Gary, you're building memories in those beautiful grandchildren!!! Don't get no better!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #570
Will D

That's great Gary! Nice job on the woody. To answer your question in #563, both Vaseline and dielectric grease can work to prevent corrosion by not allowing water and oxygen to come in contact. The big difference between them is that Vaseline is petroleum based and IS conductive, dielectric grease is silicone based and NOT conductive. Vaseline may actually improve your connection as well as prevent corrosion but it is combustible and can degrade both plastic and rubber over time.

Last edited by Will D; 07-04-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #571
GB SISSON

Thank you all! And a happy Fourth to all my Barner friends!
Old 07-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #572
sugarmaker

Gary,
Awesome truck you have! Wonderful picture with the grandkids too. Happy Fourth!
May try to go back and read your thread at some point too! WOW!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #573
cas3

Happy 4th GB, great lookin kids, and the woody too
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #574
Alecwhankins

Looks fantastic, well done!
Alecwhankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #575
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
That's great Gary! Nice job on the woody. To answer your question in #563, both Vaseline and dielectric grease can work to prevent corrosion by not allowing water and oxygen to come in contact. The big difference between them is that Vaseline is petroleum based and IS conductive, dielectric grease is silicone based and NOT conductive. Vaseline may actually improve your connection as well as prevent corrosion but it is combustible and can degrade both plastic and rubber over time.

Hey Will, I was doing a bit of work on the woodie this afternoon and noticed for the first time in a long time that all the connections around the battery terminals that used to turn gray have now remained bright and the starts are quick and easy. The use of dielectric grease has made a difference with all the jailbar fleet. Our famous damp and rainey winters here in the Pacific Northwest have been known to raise havoc with connections and unheated sheds are not ideal, but keeping a wood burning stove goin' all winter is hard enough in the house and woodshop, never mind in the truckbarn. Happy winter to all and bust out the tube of dielectric grease when you tuck your vehicles in for the winter!
Old 10-28-2022, 11:43 PM   #576
cas3

That sure is a great picture GB, the kids and the coolest jail bar on the planet. Carry on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:01 AM   #577
PeteVS

In ‘66, Dad bought a new Buick. When he brought it home, I smeared the battery terminals with Sears chassis grease. (RIP the grease but not Sears.) Six years later the battery died. A pair of pliers had the spring ring terminals off in no time, a new Delco battery went in and the Buick was up and running.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #578
GB SISSON

Gosh, Time sure flies by. Another Fourth, another parade, another great visit with the grandkids. Woodie has been running great, but ready for another coat of varnish on the maple and maybe a little more paint on the sheet metal here and there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 Caden take the wheel.jpg (123.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 70 grandkids inside woodie.jpg (120.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Woodie in Parade 2023.jpg (84.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:32 PM   #579
sugarmaker

GB,
Awesome pictures! Enjoy those grandbabies!
Truck still looking good!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #580
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Gosh, Time sure flies by. Another Fourth, another parade, another great visit with the grandkids. Woodie has been running great, but ready for another coat of varnish on the maple and maybe a little more paint on the sheet metal here and there.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote