Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
38FordTruck

Default 38 Ford Truck - Engine nos

I have two 1938 157” wheelbase trucks one restoring one bought restored

#1 Unrestored
157” wheelbase, dual rear tyres. Cab Plate shows Capacity 14,000 lbs with 6 32 x 6 10 ply tyres.
Cab firewall stamped 81T 235 No stampings on chassis rails.
Marking on the gearbox housing is K1227P; Gearbox top is marked 51FTop
Engine # on top of block at rear of intake manifold 18 BB JF 1046 with what appears to be a Z but cross stamped with the same Z as if it was incorrectly marked ???

I am restoring this one to hopefully orig standards, except maybe the 6volt system. I have acquired a manual tipper mechanism for the chassis, which I think is fairly unique.

#2 Registered
157” wheelbase, dual rear tyres & same cab plate
Cab firewall stamped 811 260, although this may well have missed stamped and be 81T it is not that distinct No stampings on chassis rails.
Engine # on top of block at rear of intake manifold 49 6145F 7 64 – I am told is a 100 HP Canadian motor circa 1941 – 42, so would be keen to know exact specs.
This is a composite vehicle as parts did come from 38 Bus. Vehicle was originally farming and then Lend Lease Army until being general cartage around Victoria, Australia

My main issues are:-
Ø coming to grips with the engine numbers where they were manufactured (US / Canada) for rebuilding and spares correctness as required;
Ø actual tare, gross weights in respect of registration of the vehicles as no schedule of models I have found indicated as 3 ton capacity only 1 ½ Tons but 14,000 lbs converts to 6.350 Tonnes rating GVM?

Tasmania, Australia
38FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
41panelmark

Default Re: 38 Ford Truck - Engine nos

Welcome, hopefully some of the other guys can help with specs for those years. Post some photos when you can so we can see what you are working on.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Manuel

Hi
My book says an 81T has 134" wheelbase
817T has 157"
81U has 134"

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
ford38v8

According to Wagner, the first digit is year, second is engine, third is the last digit of the wheelbase. Thus, 817T is your designation. The 81T is your cab only, with body numbers of 235 and 260 respectively. There is no conflict in that, as the cabs were the same regardless of wheelbase.

I have no information on the tonnage rating plate you have, nor wheel sizes, given that the Chassis/Cabs could have been fitted with a platform or a stake, or delivered bare to a custom fitter.

Your trucks would have been of Canadian manufacture, delivered and fitted in Australia. I assume right hand drive. Although I cannot confirm Canadian manufacture of the engines, those numbers are not U.S., so it is logical to also assume Canadian.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
38FordTruck

Thanks for the info, I will keep tracking. Thanks to Forum I have fixed my starting problem once up to temp. - ignition switch on steering column.
38FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote