Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
JayChicago

Default V8 Times Article on Bad Brake Shoes

Going to be trouble shooting a brake problem, so I re-read current issue of V8 Times' article on improperly made replacement brake shoes. (page 95) Said the bad shoes caused pedal to go half way to floor before actuating the brakes. But I don't get it.

Article shows the protrusion on top of the shoe that inserts into the wheel cylinder are too short, about 1/8" shorter than stock. But why would this be a problem? Wouldn't the wheel cylinder piston just sit 1/8" further out in the cylinder bore, still making direct contact with the shoe?

Am I missing something?
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: V8 Times Article on Bad Brake Shoes

Jay
I will take a stab at this....I believe the "issue" comes into play with the location of the wheel cylinder cups and the supply hole in "newer" wheel cylinders on the market....The "extra" 1/8 pushes them in too far an thus allowing fluid to by pass the cups!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

I also read the article and this is the way I interpret it. I think what Charlie is saying is that because on all eight reproduction brake shoes, the tabs that engage the wheel cylinder piston's are 1/8" to 3/16" shorter, it takes more fluid to fill the wheel cylinder and push out the shoes. That causes more fluid to be routed from the master cylinder, causing the pedal to go closer to the floor. Charlie proved this by using the original shoes and had them relined and the problem was solved.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Going to be trouble shooting a brake problem, so I re-read current issue of V8 Times' article on improperly made replacement brake shoes. (page 95) Said the bad shoes caused pedal to go half way to floor before actuating the brakes. But I don't get it.

Article shows the protrusion on top of the shoe that inserts into the wheel cylinder are too short, about 1/8" shorter than stock. But why would this be a problem? Wouldn't the wheel cylinder piston just sit 1/8" further out in the cylinder bore, still making direct contact with the shoe?

Am I missing something?
Jay, You're right.
That wouldn't be a problem as long as the pistons don't come out of the cylinder. On worn brake shoes the pistons are already out farther.
The pistons don't retract to the center of the cylinder,they are against the tab on the shoe and only return as far as the shoe returns. The farther out the shoes are adjusted the farther out the pistons will be. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with the shoes but 1/8 shorter tab would not be the problem.
Bill

Last edited by bbrocksr; 06-23-2021 at 08:08 PM.
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
rich b

The length shouldn't be a problem as the upper adjustment stops the shoes from retracting too far and the residual valve keeps the wheel cylinder piston from retracting too.

We attack the problem of the miss-drilled wheel cylinders by milling the slot in the piston 1/8" deeper. We also use re-lined original shoes and choose not to alter them.

Maybe the repop shoe makers shortened the tab so the shoes would function with the repop wheel cylinders.

Once had a problem with repop '39-'41 shoes that had the lower holes in the wrong location which made it impossible to center the shoes properly.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
alchemy

As Rich mentioned, I found some 40 style shoes from Carpenter (I did the R&R a couple years ago) to have the lower cam holes in the wrong spot. It pushed the shoes upward too much IIRC. The vertical steel was also too thick, and required me to grind it thinner to prevent the lower pivot pins from clamping the shoes tight and not letting them pivot on the brass.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

So it seems like they made defective shoes so they would work with the defective wheel cylinders
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
russcc

That's viscous circle. When & where does that end ?
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #9
tubman

When I restored my '51 in the late '80's, I ran into a similar problem (the shoes were too thick to fit into the slots in the pins for the wheel cylinders). I sat down, thought about it, and then realized that the brake shoes on the car were Ford script. I found a place that would re-line the originals shoes, and have never looked back. As some one on here says in their signature line : "Never throw away nothin'" (especially original Ford parts).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
35fordtn

I disagree with the article as the NEW shoes to tab is too long causing the issues rockfla mentioned. Some vendors I know are shortening the tabs before shipping. That may have been the issue with the shoes in the article. Again the new shoes the tab is too LONG not short. If your drums are worn more that .020” it usually does not present a issue.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote