Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Jim44

Default 1936 truck references

Can anyone point me to good reference tools to differentiate between 1 ton, 1.5 ton and larger 36 trucks? My Model 51 flatbed has the 131.5 wheelbase with duals on the rear. Also has the 21stud flathead and a 4speed tranny. Thanks for any assistance. I have the s/n if it helps.

Jim
Jim44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1936 truck references

I don't think the one ton came out until 1938.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
blucar

I have a very nice 1.5 ton flat bed '36 Ford with dual wheels. I to am quite sure Ford did not make 'tonners' until '38/39.
My '36 has been converted to hydraulic brakes which appear to be from a later Ford truck. The brake system appears to be stock.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Ford sort of went by wheelbase on trucks in the early V8 years. Most of them had the same basic running gear and springs but had variations in road wheels and drive shafts. The two speed rear axles came along in 38 or so. Auxiliary springs were used on all but the 122" wheel base trucks clear up to 1947.

The year specific chassis parts catalogs or at least 32 thru 37 catalogs should have most of the differences in them if you weed them out. My 38 thru 41 Ford & Mercury chassis parts book has a lot of info for those years. The green bible or 28 thru 48 chassis parts book has a lot of info but less about the different models. It tends to only have the updated parts listings as of 1950 with no reference to obsolete parts.

The 1936 Ford truck reference book or owners manual has some useable info in it but it is likely somewhat limited. The truck owners instruction book for 1935 might even be better. They were a lot alike. The 32 thru 38 shop manual CD from Detroit Iron Information systems might be a good one. It has car and truck info.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-17-2018 at 07:41 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 AM   #5
Don Rogers

Here's a page from a 1936 Dealer Truck Album that might help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Truck Album104.jpg (131.9 KB, 135 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Jim44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford sort of went by wheelbase on trucks in the early V8 years. Most of them had the same basic running gear and springs but had variations in road wheels and drive shafts. The two speed rear axles came along in 38 or so. Auxiliary springs were used on all but the 122" wheel base trucks clear up to 1947.

The year specific chassis parts catalogs or at least 32 thru 37 catalogs should have most of the differences in them if you weed them out. My 38 thru 41 Ford & Mercury chassis parts book has a lot of info for those years. The green bible or 28 thru 48 chassis parts book has a lot of info but less about the different models. It tends to only have the updated parts listings as of 1950 with no reference to obsolete parts.

The 1936 Ford truck reference book or owners manual has some useable info in it but it is likely somewhat limited. The truck owners instruction book for 1935 might even be better. They were a lot alike. The 32 thru 38 shop manual CD from Detroit Iron Information systems might be a good one. It has car and truck info.
Thanks for all the tips on literature. I have looked at much of it and kind of concluded that the main difference between the one ton, 1.5 ton, and heavier models was in the wheel and tire size specs. The dealer info sheet posted by don rogers was most helpful and will give me a read on what weights the last owner was hauling. As to other factory differences in body,frame, springs,etc., I am still in the dark. I will study my green bible some more and order a copy of the Detroit iron cd. My main interest at the moment is finding a supplier for interior parts, door panels, window regulators, etc. thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions. I will contact don rogers and see if he can email a copy of the sheet he posted as I have trouble enlarging it enough for careful study.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Jim44

Don, is there a chance you could send me a copy of that dealer truck album page? I can't seem to get it big enough to study. Thanks.
Jim
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
Model51

Just saw this thread. If you are still looking for information, let me know. I'm currently restoring a 1935 157" stake truck and have collected most all of the Ford issued literature and over 200 parts drawings from the Ford Archives to support the restoration back to Factory specifications. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sounds like you have what Ford called a Model 51 which includes all vehicles made with a truck frame in 1935 and 1936. This frame is completely different than the car and commercial (pickup truck) frame. The base Model 51 was rated at 1.5 tons (there was no 1 ton version) and had four 6.00 x 20" tires and no helper springs. Dual rear wheels and rear helper springs combined with larger tires boosted the rated capacity substantially. Perhaps Don provided you with the Dealer Showroom Album page with the weight ratings base on tire sizes, if not, I can send it to you.

Last edited by Model51; 12-01-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Don Rogers

Jim 44, Send me an email at [email protected] and I will attach a higher resolution image to my return email.

Don Rogers
Old 12-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Jim44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I don't think the one ton came out until 1938.

Bob
Thanks Bob. That squares with my current research.
Jim
Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Jim44

Model 51! Great to hear from you. I saw some of your posts when I first got hold of my 36 Model 51 (131.5 wheelbase) and barely knew what questions to ask. I have emailed Don Rogers for a copy of his tire spec sheet, and I know that will help. Rotorwrench has also provided some good tips on written materials, some of which I have and others maybe Santa will bring. Meantime, can you tell me if the cab is unique to this model or not. Also wondering about the front fenders & running boards?

Thanks to all for the help. I am going to try posting a picture if I can figure out how.
Jim
Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Conventional truck cabs should all be about the same with some variation. The COE cabs would be different for obvious reasons but not a lot different with respect to the basic structure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #13
Don Rogers

Jim44, I have not received an email from you yet.

Don Rogers
[email protected]
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
Karl Wescott

My understanding on major body parts interchange...

Cab: Basic cab the same but 1-1/2 ton has the fuel tank under the seat and a split cushion seat to gain access to the fuel cap with the 1/2 ton having a seat platform with storage area under the full width cushion.

Front fenders: Different, 1-1/2 ton are wider and do not have the bumper notches, also taller to match the running board level below the frame.

Running boards: Different, 1-1/2 ton mount below the frame with a integral splash apron.

Grille and Hood: Same 1-1/2 and 1/2 ton. 1935, 1936, and 1937 all different from each other.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
Jim44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Jim44, I have not received an email from you yet.

Don Rogers
[email protected]
Just re sent it. I screwed up the address - missed a "V" Also, I will try attaching a photo to this message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 Ford Left Side View 2052.jpg (97.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
Model51

Jim - Sorry for not replying sooner. I had to go out of town and just returned.

I agree with Karls summary of the major differences between the pickup and big truck body parts and 35-36-37 differences. There are also variations within each year, but that gets into rather fine and mostly unnoticeable details. If interested, let me know and I can share more.

What are you wanting to do: restore to original, looking for parts, etc.? Feel free to contact me directly:
Dave Gunnarson
[email protected]
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #17
KDL

Nice looking truck.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
Jim44

Thanks Dave and Karl. My observations are consistent with yours except I have a full width bench seat that sits on the gas tank. I have to go have a look as I don't have a good photo of where the filler neck is. I seem to think it is at the front corner on the passenger side (inside the cab). The engine spins with a fair bit of compression and I am in the process of trying to get it to start. Had Jim Lindner go thru the distributor and I have to put new plug wires on it, clean up the carb and replace the fuel pump yet. I am ordering the CD from Detroit Iron and that should help a lot. This truck has not been modified that I can tell, and even the sheet metal is solid although the paint is rough. I am looking for good sources for interior panels, refurbing instruments, rubber, etc. Spending the winter shopping and learning and hope to get out and at it again in spring. It's under cover, but no heat! did enough under those conditions when I was 17, and now I am on the left side of 71, so it will have to wait another Wisconsin winter. Thanks again to all, I will be in touch as I get into further challenges. My first goal has been met in making some good contacts here and in getting some tips on manuals, etc. Hope to hear it run in spring and go from there!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #19
Model51

Jim - There's one manufacturer of original style cardboard door inserts and one of ABS styrene. I have not purchased or even seen either set, so I'm not sure what's best. You can also make door inserts yourself if you are so inclined as they are fairly simple.
The gas tank under the seat is correct for a Model 51. The pickup gas tank is located in the rear of the lighter passenger car-type frame just as the car gas tank is located since neither vehicle uses the heavy-duty truck frame your truck has.
The gas tank filler is located on the front right corner of the tank inside the cab.
The engine is essentially the same as the car so engine parts are very available. Big truck rubber parts are a bit hard to come by as they aren't reproduced and the old parts are usually cracked. The windshield rubber and side window channels are all available. Good places to look are MACs Antique Auto Parts, Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake plus lots of others.
Big truck chassis parts are either easy to find or impossible with not much middle ground. When looking for parts, remember the Ford part number system of Model-Part Number-Version. Many parts for your truck will start with 51-xxxx. If you see a part starting with 51- then it's right. Other model designation parts work too, but you have to be sure first.
I'm happy to share my parts hunting experiences with you if you want any leads.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
Jim44

Thanks, your's looks ready to haul!