Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
KenBolton

Default Distributor Fine Tuning

I am new to flatheads and am thoroughly enjoying my ‘37. Last fall I had the radiator re-cord and the distributor rebuilt. I didn’t get them back until winter. After putting them in the car started, idled and ran fine until I ran down the drive. When I shifted into second gear I didn’t have any pickup or pull to advance in speed in order to shift into third. After consulting my new flathead shop manual I loosened the points adjustment screw and attempted to move the plate up an indicator notch or two to advance the timing. The engine is off. Both screw and the adjustment plate is nice and loose but I cannot move the plate either up or down. Wondering if the cam needed to move a bit to allow adjustment I rocked the motor forward a bit but it didn’t help. My understandings from the book is that the plate is slotted and should move up and down.
What am I missing? Should the motor be running in order to make this adjustment?
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
36coupe

Default Re: Distributor Fine Tuning

If the distributor was rebuilt and adjusted you shouldn’t have to touch it. You should be up one notch on the advance adjustment for proper advance. (Passenger side)
Maybe the vacuum brake is too tight?
There is lots of more experienced folks on here other than me.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Zeke3

The plate should move independent of the engine or cam turning. I would discuss the performance issue with whoever rebuilt it for you, if possible. Definitely don't try to adjust it with the engine running.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #4
flatjack9

It is not easy to move, might have to give it a little bump.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
KenBolton

Thanks for the help! When I began the adjustment plate was at the top mark. I removed the pan under the radiator so I could bump the plate up one indicator line at a time. Kept getting improvement. After the first two adjustments I backed off on the vacuum brake about half a turn. No improvement. Ended up at the line below the halfway mark. Now it runs like it did previously! The sound, however, is MUCH improved with the new dual exhausts with Smithy mufflers!!
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
drolston

The "improved" sound is from fuel mixture still burning as is exhausts, due to retarded timing. Bump that spark advance adjustment back up to one or two marks above the center mark. If it is still not running right, time to look elsewhere. Start by checking to see if all cylinders are firing. Pull the plug wires one at a time while running. The cylinders for which that does not slow the idle are not firing. It is not uncommon when swapping distributors for wires to the distributor cap to not get properly seated.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
moefuzz

Number one rule of thumb,
After you have paid good money for someone to rebuild and set up your distributor on a distributor/timing machine is...
...Don't think you know how to adjust the distributor or the carb that was professional set by an expert.

My brother did this with his 400 pontiac. He bought and paid for a set of aluminum Edlebrock heads to be installed
then for some reason he thought that all the Lifters/Rocker were "to tight' so he backed all the rockers off and at about at that time I drove up to his house only to hear all the banging and clattering coming from the pontiac when he first restarted it.

Then he paid to tow the car the 40 miles back to the shop that had initially put the heads on for him and had correctly adjusted the lifters/rocker arms in the first place.

They still laugh about it today but it wasn't the first time stuff like that had happened so they know that once it leaves their hands, sheet happens.

Don't be by 'brother'

good luck with your project,
moe of the north

moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote