Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
53OlderThanMe

Default 42-48 Banjo Questions

I bought a banjo recently and have a couple questions. I have calculated the gear ratio at 3.78 but a few things are puzzling me.

All but one half of the driveshaft pins that connect the driveshaft connector to the pinion are sheared off. As such I found the driveshaft not turning well. After removing the driveshaft I can turn the pinion stub by hand and it will only drive the passenger axle. However if I turn the drivers hub by hand the pinion will turn.

Is that correct?

Also I have one axle nut that is huge about 1-1/16 while the other side is the smaller 15/16. Never seen this before what would have been the correct size nut from the factory? Both are castle nuts.
53OlderThanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: 42-48 Banjo Questions

The big nut is correct and hard to find. I suspect the drivers side brake is dragging. Keep the pass side from turning and turn the pinion. The drivers side should turn. Sheared pins is a sign of worn splines. The pins do not do anything except hold everything in place for assembly. I hope the wear is just in the coupler. You could drill out the pin holes so the pins could float. Where are you?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
53OlderThanMe

Default Re: 42-48 Banjo Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The big nut is correct and hard to find. I suspect the drivers side brake is dragging. Keep the pass side from turning and turn the pinion. The drivers side should turn. Sheared pins is a sign of worn splines. The pins do not do anything except hold everything in place for assembly. I hope the wear is just in the coupler. You could drill out the pin holes so the pins could float. Where are you?
Thanks Andy, I'm just north of Dallas of I35 near Flower Mound.

And I bet you are right about the drivers brake dragging. I can't get that drum off yet but passenger came right off.
53OlderThanMe is offline   Reply With Quote