Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Karl

Default 1934 Horn Rod help

Just finished changing the steering box and Wheel on my 1934 ( don't ask how it went -but finally sorted) I seem to have a problem with the horn. When I attach the light switch body the horn works fine but after I turn the light switch on the wheel the horn stops working.

I know it is the horn rod as earthing the central light switch contact sounds the horn

When I took the horn rod out the small Bakelite spacer/ Insulator just above the light switch contact at the bottom of the horn rod was broken . I have remade this out of JB Weld.

Can I just confirm that I have the workings of the horn /switch right The contact at the base of the horn rod is in constant contact with the horn contact in the centre of the light switch. Pushing the horn button earths this contact and the horn sounds -Correct ?

If this is correct then what I suspect is happening is that my JB weld spacer is not rigid enough and the contact at the end of the horn rod is moving out of contact with the light switch horn contact with movement of the light spider. The other possibility is that the rod/contact is sitting slightly higher (with less force to hold it in place) as the steering wheel doesn't sit quite as low on the column as the old one did

Confirmation of my understanding of the light switch workings and any advice would be appreciated . Thanks Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: 1934 Horn Rod help

Karl I have fought a similar battle on a 1934 last year. Sometimes the horn rod would make contact and sometimes not. My solution was to put a dab of silver solder on the end of the light switch rod.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Kahuna

Yes, I don't think the JB Weld is strong enough to hold up to the spring pressure applied
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Terry,OH

you have the working of the horn contact correct.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Milt K from Pa

You should make sure that grounding the horn rod at the TOP may make the horn blow. Perhaps a loss of ground at the horn button may be causing the problem. Turn the wheel and the light switch to check it out, with a jumper wire to ground.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote