Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
beavercars

Default rubber boots

I have been told that the rubber boots for both the shift lever and the brake lever are not stock equipment...however, virtually all the Model A parts dealers carry them...what is the real story about these items? I want to make sure that my Model A's are correct for judging....thanks
beavercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: rubber boots

They were a common after market accessory. used on many other cars also. I don't know if their presence would affect judging.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #3
Synchro909

My cars are drivers so show considerations don't count. I have given up on those boots because they crack and tear quickly and easily. IMO, they are junk just like so many other "improvements".
Old 11-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
eagle

I put them on my car probably 10 years ago and they haven't cracked or deteriorated at all that I can tell. I got mine from Mac's. The ones I got are pretty thick rubber, thinner would be better as they are a bit stiff. The shifter boot is OK but the brake lever boot lifts the carpet some when the brake is applied.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
CatMan1

This is interesting to read because I was just thinking about getting a floor mat and also these boots. If I don't use the boots how to I keep the engine heat out in the summer?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I put them on my car probably 10 years ago and they haven't cracked or deteriorated at all that I can tell. I got mine from Mac's. The ones I got are pretty thick rubber, thinner would be better as they are a bit stiff. The shifter boot is OK but the brake lever boot lifts the carpet some when the brake is applied.
I agree with Eagle. I have never had one crack or any other issue. I have the S/S retainers so mine are screwed to the floor. But as mentioned, mine is a driver. I don't think they were original, especially like mine.

I also used a parking brake retainer for my Mitchell shifter.

They do help seal out heat and oil IMO.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavercars View Post
I have been told that the rubber boots for both the shift lever and the brake lever are not stock equipment...however, virtually all the Model A parts dealers carry them...what is the real story about these items? I want to make sure that my Model A's are correct for judging....thanks
Only the earliest left hand brake cars used a boot on the brake lever. You should get a current copy of the Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines if you want to be correct for judging.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
clifforddward

Each will have their opinion, but for me I prefer to stick to the stock configuration for things like these rubber boots...since not original from Ford factory they are not for me...but I won't criticize those that like to use them...there are many items that can be added to our Model A Fords...that is the beauty of the hobby!
clifforddward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #9
J Franklin

Get the seamstress to whip you up some imitation leather ones! My rubber ones are old-old but are in good condition. Maybe there were some batch or age deficiencies with the rubber. Or old Argentinian stock. Never know. Anyone remember Rick's packs?

Last edited by J Franklin; 11-22-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:32 AM   #10
ericr

didn't the original floormats have some of reinforcement around the gear shift and emergency brake?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #11
Don S

Interesting info for judging purposes, rubber pedal covers and spare tire covers are to be removed prior to judging. So you can use them just don't show them .
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #12
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Interesting info for judging purposes, rubber pedal covers and spare tire covers are to be removed prior to judging. So you can use them just don't show them .
Maybe they need to be removed to show the condition of the item they were covering.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
redmodelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
This is interesting to read because I was just thinking about getting a floor mat and also these boots. If I don't use the boots how to I keep the engine heat out in the summer?
Open the windshield just enough to force air down, that is why there are holes behind the trim piece, and roll down the windows.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Open the windshield just enough to force air down, that is why there are holes behind the trim piece, and roll down the windows.
I do similar but don't wind the windows down. I figure that by leaving them up, I am creating positive air pressure in the cabin, thus forcing air out through the gaps where the hot air would come in.
To keep us warm on a cold day, I open the side windows a little and close the windscreen to encourage the hot air in.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #15
Bob-A

Some years ago on greedBay a guy was selling leather shifter boots. For an MG or some other sports cars. The price was right so I bought four black ones, he had them in different colors. The look and fit on the shifter is great. To fit the e-brake handle I had to open up the top of the boot a little to fit over the top of the push button finger hold. Maybe not stock, but sure does look good and the god of "era correct" was satisfied.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #16
old ugly

the rubber boots look nice and are popular but i know nothing of judging standard.

for me i don't have them the floor mat fits nice around the shift tower and looks ok. the park brake has gaps but is not an eyesore. seams im taking the mats and boards out alot these days so it is also easier.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Some years ago on greedBay a guy was selling leather shifter boots. For an MG or some other sports cars. The price was right so I bought four black ones, he had them in different colors. The look and fit on the shifter is great. To fit the e-brake handle I had to open up the top of the boot a little to fit over the top of the push button finger hold. Maybe not stock, but sure does look good and the god of "era correct" was satisfied.

Bob-A
Bob, do you have a picture of your boots? I bet they look nice.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #18
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I agree with Eagle. I have never had one crack or any other issue. I have the S/S retainers so mine are screwed to the floor. But as mentioned, mine is a driver. I don't think they were original, especially like mine.

I also used a parking brake retainer for my Mitchell shifter.

They do help seal out heat and oil IMO.

How do you get into the bathroom with the door knob missing?😊
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
How do you get into the bathroom with the door knob missing?😊
Haha, I put the Model A shift knob on the bathroom door. The missus doesn't care much for it tho.

Actually I got that knob from my Grandma ~55 years ago. I have a purple one also. I don't know where she would get all these door knobs but she used to collect them and put them in her window sills so the sun would sparkle in them.