Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
t-head

Default Model T Racing Thread

I thought I would try to start a T racing thread as it is very easy to add pictures into the discussion on a thread. The Model T in racing went on to incredible heights in part because of Henrys lightweight design and the use of strong vanadium steel and the clever speed equipment manufacturers.

It won the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 1922 and finished 5th at Indy in the 20's. There was an incredible assortment of racing equipment manufactured that even went as far as turning a T ford engine into a 16 valve DOHC engine.

So lets try to keep this thread focused on old T racing photos along with copies of speed equipment catalogs and the like, T speedster photos and information are also welcome. I do not mean to take away from the speedster social group but think this would be an easier way for us to add photos and keep the discussion going daily. Welcome to all of you, lets try to turn this into something special.

I am going to start out with a David versus Goliath photo. Noel Bullock drove his Model T Ford dirt track racer to Pikes Peak in 1922 to enter the hill climb. Everyone there laughed at him and his beat up little Ford. He persisted and was finally able to enter his home built special. Noel went on to prove them all wrong and went on to win the Hill Climb!!!!! The following year they established a minimum weight so that the big boys would not be embarrassed by a mere little Ford again.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Model T Racing Thread

This sounds like a great thread, hope to meet some new T Speed Equipment and race car collectors. I've always thought it would be nice to have an original T race car, they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO rare. This is a section from a Morton & Brett flyer, one of my favorites because of the green ink used on the body illustrations. Nice body for $125.00 or $90.00 if you were a dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (40.6 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (20.8 KB, 140 views)
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Roadster62

Have you read the disputed T bill thread? This one beats it! Ficher & Jacobs was THE place to have a T race car built in Phidelphia in the 1920's. this bill is for work on RAJO powered #24 owned by H.D.Carpenter. I totaled the itemized bill items and got a total of $142.89........they got $224.44 plus a balance if $293.00, for a total of $517.44. Racing was never cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.jpg (31.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.JPG (49.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
s1b

Very cool, I will follow this thread!
s1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
hotrodjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
Elmer Spatz from Los Angeles in his racing car with what appears to be a BB Rajo.

Note that he has front wheel brakes which is unusual.
Looks like the hand brake on the side controls just the rear brakes,
and a foot brake for the front.? I could be way off.
What would have been adapted to create the front brakes?

Jeff
hotrodjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Layden B

Jeff,
Why does something have to be adapted? These aren't!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t front brakes a.JPG (94.4 KB, 3221 views)
File Type: jpg t front brakes b.JPG (97.7 KB, 171 views)
Layden B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Layden B

No marking on them and I have never seen an ad for this type either. They use 1926-27 Model T rear wheel cams and levers and shoes and drums.
They are not McNearny ( made in San Francisco and external contracting) nor are they the set on page 174 of the book " Model T Ford in Speed and Sport".
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
hotrodjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden B View Post
Jeff,
Why does something have to be adapted? These aren't!
Well I learn somthing new everyday. Thanks.

So how fast were these T racers going? Wern't some of these races about endurance over speed?

Jeff
hotrodjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
t-head

Jeff.... I think I have read were the T that finished 5th at Indy was lapping somewhere in the 80 + MPH range. It think a really well built car with a good racing overhead might be able to hit 90-100 MPH on a mile track?

Most of the races that T's ran in were fairgrounds dirt oval short sprints 25, 50 miles at the most. Although I am sure there were some longer ones. If they did not have a special racing crankshaft odds are the crank would break in a long race. Some racers were know to but in a new crankshaft every week as an insurance policy.

Maybe Spatz was using his four wheel brakes to go into the corners faster than others as he had more braking power which may have given him a quicker lap time?

Does anyone else has any references to speeds at some of the 1/4, 1/2, and mile tracks?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
SUHRsc

Here are a few photos of my BB-R Rajo for inclusion with the paperwork posted by T-head.
In the photo also is a Stutz-Delco dual ignition to fire the 8 spark plugs.

77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
Roadster62

These may be from an early (1930's) Midget race car. The wheels on the early cars were made by welding a 12 inch rim to a 1926-27 T brake drum. The six bolt hub pattern for the T wood wheel then became the standard for all Midget wheels to follow.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Layden B

3 spring frames were available from the racing parts suppliers and aftermarket longitudinal spring setups were offered for stock Model T's but I think this frame and front axle are Scripps-Booth.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
t-head

Quote:
3 spring frames were available from the racing parts suppliers and aftermarket longitudinal spring setups were offered for stock Model T's but I think this frame and front axle are Scripps-Booth.
Thanks.... that makes sense as I have seen several in photos just like this car, post # 11 above maybe the same set-up. The Scripps-Booth was a light weight car also with fours? And a small V-8.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
T-Time

Quote:
Jeff.... I think I have read were the T that finished 5th at Indy was lapping somewhere in the 80 + MPH range. It think a really well built car with a good racing overhead might be able to hit 90-100 MPH on a mile track?

[...]

Does anyone else has any references to speeds at some of the 1/4, 1/2, and mile tracks?
If I recall correctly, according to The Dust And The Glory, A Racing History By Leo Levine, Winfield [Ed or Bud?] was running over 130 mph in his flat headed T engine powered racer. I think that was the legendary "two-up, two-down engine". I don't know what length track that was on...but the book may say. I don't have a copy of it anymore.

Last edited by T-Time; 06-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.
T-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Time View Post
If I recall correctly, according to The Dust And The Glory, A Racing History By Leo Levine, Winfield was running over 130 mph in his flat headed T engine powered racer. I don't know what length track that was on...but the book may say. I don't have a copy of it anymore.
Thanks for the info......In posting the Rajo head info yesterday I ran into a reference from the Rajo Co. of cars with their BBR heads being capable of 100MPH.

Winfield's car with his incredible flathead was probably he fastest T at the time or ever on an oval, I do know that he raced at Ascot a lot but I don't think the track was long enough to get up to that speed. I will look around and see what I can find.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
t-head

I just found an article where Winfield states he was on his way to a race in Bakersfield coming down off of the Grapevine and he states that he opened it up and was doing 130 and in his words "without exaggerating anything" for a minute or so. A cop and a friend were after him and he slowed down and it took them a long time to catch up. The cop knew he was on his way to a race so he let him go with a warning.

So in his words he told us how fast his car could go. My question is I believe that it is all down hill on the Grapevine into Bakersfield, could he have been going down hill at the time? Can anyone fill us in on that road at the time?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Roadster62

The original Winfield engine does exist, and a very nice clone of the car was built by Pete Eastwood, wonder if they've tested it yet?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
Roadster62

Do a HAMB search and a feature will pop up. I really like the looks of this car. Bobtails always looked neat to me.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #19
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
The original Winfield engine does exist, and a very nice clone of the car was built by Pete Eastwood, wonder if they've tested it yet?
The engine was test run first and then installed in the car. The owner ran the car at the Monterey Historic races and afterward said that it is faster than many other cars of the era including some of the exotic foreign cars. He told me last winter that it is unbelievably fast.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #20
t-head

For those of you that have not seen them before, these are photos of Winfield's 2-up 2-down engine. He built a special crank to change the firing order so that he could get a better charge into each cylinder. With the standard firing order the second cylinder in the order would get a weak charge.

Also note the cam that he made and the roller lifters. The third photo shows the original crank which was replaced due to cracks. The last photo shows the original car and Ed Winfield.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #21
t-head

Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
t-head

More photos of Winfield and his famous engine.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
t-head

PART 1 Machining your own Valve guides.

Zach (SUHRsc) Posted a question on a different thread in the new Ford Barn T section but it may help some of you here with overheads. The valve guides for his BBR Rajo Head are missing and he needs to know what to do for new valve guides.

I decided to post it here on the racing thread as it will be easier to find later and really only applies to overheads as a stock T the guides are part of the block.

I would use cast iron, I machine my own if I cannot find something to adapt that will fit. Then get your valve stems hard chromed because if the stems are stainless you may have gauling and sticking. Send them to http://www.calvalves.com/ they will do a good job or have a local plating shop do them for you. You only need .0005 - 1/2 of a thousandth of chrome. The second photo shows a valve that a local plating shop masked the head of of and plated for me. The rough spot at the end of the plating needs to be smoothed off before using it, photo 2.

Ream the guides for .003"- .004" exhausts and .002" for the intakes. If you have a good machine shop near by you can get a better and smoother surface by having the id if the guide honed out the last .002 or so. Set up this way they will work very well with little to no oil. The graphite in the cast iron will help along with whatever oil you can put on them.

I generaly finish off the OD of the guide where it sits in the head 1/2 thousandth- .0005 bigger than the bore in the head for a good tight fit which will also transfer the heat better.

I have used this on a lot of T-Head and L-Heads (like an early T with exposed valves) with exposed valves which get no oil and it will work beautifully. The photo shows a new guide machined here on the lathe along with an original one. A piece of cast iron bar and a reamer.

This is what is being done in modern cars and trucks as the modern valve guide seals keep almost all of the oil out for emissions purposes. This is the only way that really holds up well unless a seal that meters just the right amount of oil is used, then bronze might work.

Zach you can get cast iron from Mc Master-Carr. They have everything under the sun and more. They also have a great website.... here is a link for the cast Iron...... http://www.mcmaster.com/#iron-rods/=7csahk

Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
t-head

PART 2 Machining you own valve guides.

Before I start I might add that this is not the only way to do this but it is a way that I have found over the years to work out well. You end up with a new guide in which the OD of the guide is perfectly parallel to the the bore of the guide which is important so that it ends up concentric with the valve seat.

To do this right you are going to need a good lathe with an adjustable chuck or precision collets so when you flip the guide over to drill the other side you can set up the guide to run true again with .001.

You are also going to need a good set of centers that run dead true for the head and tail stocks. Check them with an indicator to make sure as the area of the OD of the guide that registers in the head gets machined off of centers which if you take your time and do it correctly will result it perfect alignment.

I first set up and turn the OD of the stock straight and true to give me a good set up that I can check with a dial indicator for each operation on each end of the guide.

Then I cut them to length in the lathe. Next set up a blank and indicate the OD and get it true then face off the end (this is the point the photos start at). Then center drill it carefully with a good center drill, photo 1. Next I use an undersize screw machine drill because they are shorter and will walk or deflect less than a standard length drill, photo 2. Drill in a little more than half the length you need and stop. Do one side of all the guides this way and take your time and don't force the drill and make sure it is sharpened correctly or buy high quality news ones which should drill fairly straight.

Then turn the guides around, indicate them and get then + - .001 and face the second end then repeat the procedure from the first side. After drilling thru and meeting the other side in the same set up drill all the way thru with a drill that is larger than the short drill but about .010 smaller than your reamer size, photo 3. By doing it this way if you were careful with all your set ups and used correctly sharpened drills you should end up with a good straight hole. Then in the same set up ream to your finish size or smaller if you are going to hone them, photo 4.

The OD of both ends and the middle can then be machined in a good chuck or collet but leave the area where the guide registers in the head oversized about .020.

After you have the ends machined to the shape that you need, put good centers in the head and tail stocks and indicate them to make sure they are true. Then set your guide between centers and finish off the .020 you left to clean up before on this area and you will end up with a very nice and true guide.

Photo 5 shows an old valve guide on a Sunnen honing machine to show you how the machine works. Its gives a much better finish than can be done with a reamer and the last photo shows the mandrel and stone which does the finishing in an oil bath.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
SUHRsc

Thank you very much for posting this, T-head... it will be a huge help!
Zach
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
t-head

I could be wrong but if memory serves me correctly I think this is famous racer Frank Lockhart after he probably broke a spindle. Can anyone add more?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #27
t-head

Cat Fish?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
t-head

Back to Winfield and his first racing car in 1921.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
s1b

Great pics T-Head!
The car that appears to have a broken spindle is a very nice looking car (minus the wheel problem)
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
SUHRsc

Looks like the car with the spindle broke, may have been involved in something more.... notice the guardrail is "gone"....
Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
t-head

This is the engine in Winfields first and maybe second car but I am unsure if this is a 2-up 2-down motor.

The second photo is his Kant Skore Piston Special in front of his sponsors shop. Note that he is holding a trophy.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #32
t-head

Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #33
Roadster62

Poor quality photo, but I like the fact that they jamed a shovel under the rear tire to keep it from rolling over. Must be a quick change rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (23.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #34
s1b

What's the story on the #51 car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg werffd.jpg (38.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
SUHRsc

Quote:
This is the engine in Winfields first and maybe second car but I am unsure if this is a 2-up 2-down motor.
Can you trace the plug wires and figure out the firing order?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #36
t-head

s1b.......What's the story on the #51 car?

I don't know a thing about it sorry, maybe someone one will.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #37
t-head

The Budd wire wheel factory in the late teens.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #38
t-head

The cross country racer on display after the race.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #39
t-head

Ford racing car maker and speed equipment manufacturer Robert Roof tells all in a most interesting story.

For some technical reason beyond me on the Ford Barn posts are smaller than the HAMB. If this is to small for you, follow the link below to the best racing thread ever, started by Kurtis on HAMB. It is about pre 1944 racing cars from around the world. It is post #3612.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...09#post5309109

Old 06-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #40
racinman

This is the T dirt track racer we found in Spartanburg SC was able to buy the car after almost 2 years. The car has a 1919 T engine, very modified ford tractor pistons full of drilled holes, Rods were drilled also... The man that built the car did a oil pressure to the mains and sprayed to the rods and cam, using 2 outside pumps. the original plans of how to build a dirt track racer came with the car. here are a couple photos... it is now in the EMMR museum in PA.
racinman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-Racer.jpg (57.4 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg model a & T racer.jpg (59.5 KB, 372 views)
racinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #41
t-head

Thanks for the photos and info, I have seen photos of it before and it is such a neat car. Can you share with us any detailed photos of it, history and what was done to it and also the plans? Thanks T-H

Last edited by t-head; 06-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #42
t-head

A very nice T racer, the photos were found with a bunch of others from the CA Bay area. Can anyone tell us more about this crew?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #43
Kurtis

Great thread David.

Photo below is the No.2 Ford of W.B. Scott and mechanic C.J. Smith that finished first in America's first transcontinental auto race in 1909 but was later disqaulified because of an axle change, a supposed engine change and favorable outside assistance, handing the win and $2000 prizemoney as well as the $3500 Guggenheim trophy to the Shawmut driven by T.A. Pettingill and mechanics R.H. Messer and E.H. Chappin almost five months after the conclusion of the race.
This race was a part of the Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition starting in New York and finishing in Seattle. Only six cars accepted the start, two Model T's, the No.1 Ford being driven by Frank Kulick and mechanic H.B. Harper, the Shawmut, an ACME, a Stearns and an Itala with the latter two never finishing the race. To this day many Ford historians dispute the disqaulification of the Model T.

Last edited by Kurtis; 06-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
t-head

Kurtis.... thanks to you and all that are coming on board. With you help we can make this into a great T racing archive. T-H
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #45
t-head

Looks like everyone is interested in checking out this Frontenac overhead valve head including the policeman.

Interesting to see the heat riser on the manifold and the tubing to duct hot air to the carb on the other side. Gas back then was half kerosene and they needed a lot of preheat to help it vaporize.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #46
Kurtis

Famous Ford employee Frank Kulick.

The track looks like Point Breeze, Philadelphia circa 1910.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #47
Roadster62

Kurtis, this was a 6 cylinder car wasn't it? If not, it had an engine setback.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #48
Kurtis

Quote:
Kurtis, this was a 6 cylinder car wasn't it? If not, it had an engine setback.
I don't think it's a 6 cyl engine. Remember, Henry disliked the Model K so i don't think he would've approved the fitting of an engine that was in production 2-3 years earlier. Having said that i have read about the Super T that Kulick campained in 1911 but i have never seen a photo. I'm still searching for more info about this particular car but i think the photo is from 1910 or possibly a year later although i'm not so sure. The track is also another guess on my part. Kulick raced mostly in the Midwest during this period so it could be Syracuse or anywhere in or around the Chicago area but it could also be at Detroit where he ran the mile in under a minute.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #49
Roadster62

This photo is in a scrapbook a kid put together back in the day. Caption reads, Ringler (Pullman) leading Kulick (Ford) in the second race, a ten mile event. My guess is the Ford is equiped with wire wheels, and I see a headlamp bracket on the drivers side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-014F.JPG (29.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #50
t-head

They had to have named this the yellow jacket.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #51
t-head

Excuse the Model A as he is pulling a very nice Fronty Ford.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #52
middletown

Default Great thread T-head.......Thanks n/m

n/m
middletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
t-head

You are welcome n/m

The line up on Daytona beach for a Ford race on the beach during speed week. The second car in with the hood off appears to have a Fronty head.

They raced in an tight oval course up and down the beach. Photo from the Fla.Historical Society.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #54
t-head

This car was a powered by a D. O. Fronty that car owner Murray Earl had gotten from Leonard Kerbs of Otis, Kansas. Pictured left to right are Ted Davis, Bud Bennett, Murray Earl, and Waldo Barnett. This photo was taken in the early 1930s on the Kansas State Fairgrounds racetrack at Hutchinson, Kansas – Jack Earl collection

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #55
t-head

Tige Beal of Anthony, Kansas is shown here at the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson, Kansas on July 4, 1934. The car may have a rocker arm Fronty.

He had raced at Winfield, Kansas on July 29, 1933 and later formed the Southern Racing Association sanctioning body under which he promoted auto races at Anthony Downs in Anthony, Kansas just before World War II. After the war, Beal moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma where he continued his involvement in the sport as an owner of midget racing cars – Charles Pauley collection

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #56
t-head

Bill Carroll of Lewis, Kansas with his blue three-spring Frontenac. Carroll raced this car at the Cowley County Fair at Winfield, Kansas on October 7, 1931; at the Kansas State Fairgrounds at Hutchinson, Kansas; at the DuPont Speedway in Denver, Colorado; and several times at Dodge City, Kansas - Clarles Pauley Collection

Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #57
Faultless

Just showed up and really enjoying this thread. Great pictures and information.
Faultless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #58
Kurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faultless View Post

That's a good looking car in your avitar. Please share some info and photos with us.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #59
Roadster62

WELCOME! Now for the photos and details on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faultless View Post
Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #60
t-head

An Ames speedster that was in the Harrah collection.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #61
t-head

The Paco was a very nice looking body with staggered seats for more arm room.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #62
t-head

A couple of T's racing on an unknown horse track.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #63
twin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post

Kurtis - I have this as Michigan state fairgrounds, 1912. Nice to see some of the regulars from your thread.
twin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #64
twin6

I'm hoping someone can fill us in on this one, possibly driven by Barber and from Kansas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4Barber.jpg (58.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #65
t-head

The photo above, one of my favorites shows B. T. Barber of Iola, Kansas in the Ford that he raced to a third place finish in the feature race at Winfield, Kansas on July 4, 1913 and to second place over-all at Belleville, Kansas on August 28, 1914

Basil T. "B. T." Barber was born on May 27, 1885 at Sunnyside, Tennessee. He was already an experienced racecar driver by the time he moved to Iola, Kansas in 1910, holding the track record at Chattanooga, Tennessee for a number of years.

He worked as Iola's city electrician until he and a partner became the area Ford Motor Company dealers in 1912. A year later, Barber bought out the partner and eventually added Chevrolets, Durants, and even airplanes to the dealership. His other business interests included an Eveready service station franchise.

He was an avid flyer and opened Iola's first airport.

He continued to race cars for a number of years, competing on various well known tracks.

He sold his business interests in Iola in 1929 and spent nine years farming northwest of Iola near Genova, Kansas.

Barber suffered from asthma and was in poor health for several years before he passed away in the Iola hospital on March 30, 1958. He was survived by his wife, one son, and one daughter. B. T. Barber is buried in Highland Cemetery on the north edge Iola, Kansas.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #66
t-head

This would be a neat car for a race track photographer to drive.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #67
t-head

Build a speedster......Get the girl.......Look close, when you are young you do not need an e-brake rods.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #68
t-head

A very interesting early looking bobbed racer with what appears to be a Roof 16 valve rocker arm head.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #69
t-head

What I believe is an Ames Cloverleaf speedster with a nice set of wire wheels.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #70
t-head

Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #71
t-head

The first photo of Murray Earl was taken on July 4, 1934, at the Kansas State Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Kansas. His throttle stuck that day and he turned this car over on the south turn of that racetrack. He rebuilt the car and raced for years after.

The second photo shows the car earlier when he had a sponsor.

The engine appears to have a Fronty overhead.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #72
Kurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin6 View Post
Kurtis - I have this as Michigan state fairgrounds, 1912. Nice to see some of the regulars from your thread.
Good to see you here too Tim.

Thanks for the correction. I had a feeling i was wrong
Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #73
Kurtis

A couple more of Kulick.

First is from 1910, racing an iceboat across Lake St. Claire and the other photo shows him on his way to a second place finish in his class at the 1911 Elgin Road Races.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910kulicklstclair.jpg (18.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1911tfordelgin.jpg (34.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #74
t-head

Catalog information and photos of the second style of Robert Roofs 16-valve head the model B.

There was also a Model BB offered in 1921 with bigger 1 1/2" valves, higher compression and different exhaust manifolds which exit out the side of the hood like in photo five. Illustrations 6&7 show the BB racing head.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #75
Roadster62

I guess it depends on the track and location, but these guys were running T's a lot later than I thought they did. When did the Model A & B powered cars really take over?
Quote:
The first photo of Murray Earl was taken on July 4, 1934, at the Kansas State Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Kansas. His throttle stuck that day and he turned this car over on the south turn of that racetrack. He rebuilt the car and raced for years after.

The second photo shows the car earlier when he had a sponsor.

The engine appears to have a Fronty overhead.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #76
t-head

Quote:
I guess it depends on the track and location, but these guys were running T's a lot later than I thought they did. When did the Model A & B powered cars really take over?
Depending on where, they were completive up until WWII in the less populated parts of the county. As you know they came out with some incredible designs and on top of that they were incredibly light weight.

I took a while for the speed merchants to develop the equipment for the A, B and V-8 models and the country was also in the middle of the depression so many people kept running and perfecting their T's.

I know of a couple of surviving cars that were still fast in the early fifties.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #77
Hoop

I spoke to "Faultless" who just recently registered. Some of you asked about his avatar. He apologizes ... he's still having difficulty posting.

So, until I get over to his place and see what's happening:

Carl has a bunch of T's. This is a repro Faultless body and not his first fast T. We'll have to wait for him to add specifics ... he talks Rajo, Frontenac, Gemsa, etc. Great guy.

Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #78
Layden B

T-Head
Nice pictures but of the second style of Roof 16 valve head, those are the Model B. This is the Model A Roof 16 valve that came first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof a in.jpg (88.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg roof a ex.jpg (106.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #79
t-head

Quote:
T-Head
Nice pictures but of the second style of Roof 16 valve head, those are the Model B. This is the Model A Roof 16 valve that came first.
Laydon....... Thanks for picking up on that and for the photos. I will correct that post. I had forgotten all about this style head. I have seen this illustration before and thought that it might be strictly a racing head with no provisions for an exhaust manifold as in photo 1. Or being an artists rendering the flanges and bolt holes were omitted. I also noticed that this is dated 1918 whereas the Model B catalog is dated 1919.

The other thing to note is the Model A used the Ford intake and exhaust ports for eight intake ports which are covered by one intake manifold, photo 2.

In looking around the web I found this photo of what appears to be a Model A Roof with a proper manifold for a road car. Photo 3

Photo 4 shows the intake side of a display at Bill Smiths Museum.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #80
t-head

The first two photos show more details of the Model B Roof.

The third photo with the unusual header shows what I believe is also a Model B and I assume that it is a later one judging by the improved rocker arm arrangement. The rocker arms were one of the weak links in the early heads.

The other problem was with air leaks around the pushrods into the intake ports at least in the Model A head. They corrected these leaks in the Model B, as the push rods go thru bosses in the ports but I would think this might have affected the size of the ports in some way.

The forth photo is of a cutaway where you can clearly see how this was arranged.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #81
t-head

These illustrations show Roofs third model of head that he evidently called the eight valve, without giving it a letter model like the earlier 16-valve heads. I think at a later point it was called the Liberty Head.

It is a more conventional head that appears to be very similar in design to the early Fronty Model T, S & R heads. It has two intake ports on the left hand side and three exhausts on the right along with its very distinctive valve cover.

He also made what he called the Super Racing 8-valve model with what is called extreme high compression. It came with bigger 1 7/8" valves along with larger ports and a high speed camshaft. It was $135 complete with manifolds a single 1 3/4" carb and the camshaft. For $160 it was available with two 1 1/2" side draft carbs.

The forth photo shows a Liberty Head in Bill Smiths wonderful Museum.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #82
Roadster62

The Model C 16 Valve ROOF is the one I'd like to have! ROOF and Laurel Motors were one in the same, if not they used the same office and factory IMO. If anyone has the details on why they ran two different companies selling the same stuff please fill us in on the datails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (42.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (43.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.JPG (47.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.JPG (40.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (44.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-006F.JPG (38.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #83
Roadster62

Two of my favorite T racing sales literature pieces. ROOF and Laurel Motors, note the date differance on the two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-011F.JPG (34.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-012F.JPG (58.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-013F.JPG (27.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-014F.JPG (55.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-015F.JPG (43.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #84
twin6

While the topic is on Roof, I thought this would be worth sharing. No, it's not a model T but it is Robert Roof in one of his racers, c. 1910 (perhaps earlier) and you can see "ROOF - 6" on what appears to be a pennant, near his foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Roof.jpg (46.5 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #85
t-head

Great stuff guys.....Thanks.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #86
FL&WVMIKE

"T" Men ...........................
I don't have a "T", and never did, but I think that this is one of the most fascinating threads on FORDBARN ! Keep up the good work !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #87
Layden B

These are of Roof type C 16 valve (cast right in "ROOF TYPE C"):
intake side
exhaust side
and optional intake manifolds. You could run 4 single sidedraft carbs OR put on the aluminum pieces ( right one turned over for clarity) to use 2 sidedraft carbs OR add to them the iron manifold and run one updraft ( this piece is the same as intake manifold for the 8 valve head).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof c a.JPG (88.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg roof c b.JPG (86.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg roof c c.JPG (86.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #88
t-head

A very interesting colorized photo of a Mercury speedster.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #89
t-head

Another good photo of a Mercury.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #90
t-head

A one more that is a little bit racier.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #91
S.Duncan

Quote:
This photo and the one below it are of my grandfather in the early twenties.This pic was colorized by Mercury guru Jarvis Erickson
S.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #92
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Duncan View Post
This photo and the one below it are of my grandfather in the early twenties.This pic was colorized by Mercury guru Jarvis Erickson
Thanks for the background info on those photos. Can you add any more info about the car or your grandfather?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #93
S.Duncan

Quote:
This picture and the one below it are of my grandfather and his Mercury in the early twenties.The colorized pic was done by Mercury guru Jarvis Erickson.Love the speedster and racing stuff.Maybe someone could post about any heads or speed equipment thats been recast in the last 20 yrs or so .Do any patterns exist for exotic stuff like the DO Fronty?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #94
t-head

Some more early Roof photos and a horsepower chart. The forth photo shows how the dash or firewall needs to be cut away on some cars. Also note the early style cross over manifold which has been modified to exhaust out the side of the hood with the welded or brazed on short tube. The rest of the manifold also appears to be intact behind the intake manifold.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #95
S.Duncan

Sorry about the double post;My grandfather moved from P.E.I. Canada to Boston in the early twenties to look for work.He worked for a while driving a chain driven truck delivering ice.My dad used to say his father was quite the"man about town" during his years in Boston".He sure wasn't shy about having his picture taken.On one of his trips back home to P.E.I. he took the speedster and left it for his two younger brothers to drive.It's unknow if the T had any perf. equip. on it.It's funny that it had the whole mercury package but still had T wood wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #96
t-head

S.Duncan.... Thanks. it is great to have the story behind the photos. T-H
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #97
t-head

Photos of Robert Roof in his early racing car with the type C 16-valve head with the four Zenith side drafts. I believe this is the same head that Laydon Butler showed us in post #94.

I also reproduced that drawings that roadster62 showed in the photos of the filer he has. I reposted them as there are so many great details to be seen.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #98
t-head

The type C DOHC 16-valve Roof head. There is not much information out there on this head. The Museum of American Speed has a similar type C on display with photos you can study, but there are differences between the two. The head has two cams and bucket type followers that I believe were arranged over a head that maybe be the standard C minus the rocker arm arrangement. The two cams are geared together and driven by a silent chain on the sprocket you see at the front.

Link below more photos below.

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com...RoofE133.shtml

Can anyone add any more info about this head or more photos?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #99
t-head

Enough of studying old cylinder heads for today. These modern photos show some of California's finest looking T racers. I am very familiar with the history of the yellow car and have seen photos of the green car but would be interested in any details of the others if anyone has any.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #100
Roadster62

Thanks for posting this photo, I couldn't find my copy. Really like the looks of this car. Daytons always made a car look good, not that there is anything wrong with Buffalo's
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #101
t-head

A good detailed blow up of Roof's racing chassis which is 90". It has the Laurel lowering brackets on the front and rear. The metal on top of the frame goes in to meet the narrow body.

Roof was always thinking. His engines were set up with a sub oil pan and he put a tray above it with holes drilled in it for the oil to drain into it. This is what is today called a windage tray. It keeps excess oil from traveling around with the lower end assembly which causes a horsepower loss.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #102
t-head

This Roof head is called the Victory eight which I believe is an OHC conversion for the earlier Libery 8-valve. It has cup shaped tappets and is chain driven.

Roof stated that this head would run an engine to 6500 RPM without a load and has pulled 4200 RPM for 6 miles at 100 MPH.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #103
t-head

Racers fashion statement of the day.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #104
t-head

I did fine photos of what is under the hoods of the #2 and the #4 that we looked at earlier. Both have BB Rajo's..... The #4 has two updraft barrel valve carbs and the #2 has two side draft Linkert motorcycle carbs.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #105
t-head

If you like good early photos, follow the muddy Rambler to Twin6's PREWWII

photo thread link below.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=483757

Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #106
t-head

A very tastefully done car with semi ecliptics up front and detachable rim wire wheels.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #107
t-head

Another extremely well done car. This is a line up of four of the nicest T racers out there.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #108
t-head

Elmer & Ira and their speedster in Minnesota, some time in 1924.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #109
t-head

What looks to be a 1912 Torpedo with a cowl added.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #110
MrModelT

Now THIS is my kinda thread! ...Right up my ally.
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #111
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrModelT View Post
Now THIS is my kinda thread! ...Right up my ally.
Well, you are welcome here and I hope you can add to what we are trying to do.

Build the best T racing and speedster archive that we can.

Last edited by t-head; 06-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #112
MrModelT

Quote:
Well, you are welcome here and I hope you can add to what I am trying to do.

Build the best T racing and speedster spot that we can.
..I would hope so!

This is a fantastic thread with tons of great info! Thought I would post this photo here as well...Edsel Ford observing the ingenuity of the racers and "Hot Rodders" of tomorrow. Just a great photo, tells a great story...inspired me to build my T

Wish I knew the story behind this photo, any body here know it? Been trying to find a large, high-res copy to have printed and framed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edselwithT.jpg (51.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #113
t-head

The recreation of the famous Winfield Two-Up Two-Down racer with the original Ed Winfield engine. We looked at this earlier and this is a photo of it running at the Monterey Historics last year.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #114
s1b

On the #12 car, what is the tank for on the side of the car. Oil?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #115
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1b View Post
On the #12 car, what is the tank for on the side of the car. Oil?
Good question.....Yes, it probably is an oil tank as early racing cars leaked and burned a lot of oil. The air pump on the cowl no doubt pressurizes this tank with air. An oil line was run from the tank to a valve accesible from the cockpit which would allow you to put as much oil in the engine as needed.

On some engines that were set up with a dry sump system, a tank like this could also have been used to hold the oil, cool it and then it would return to the engine.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #116
s1b

Quote:
Good question.....Yes, it probably is an oil tank as early racing cars leaked and burned a lot of oil. The air pump on the cowl no doubt pressurizes this tank with air. An oil line was run from the tank to a valve accesible from the cockpit which would allow you to put as much oil in the engine as needed.

On some engines that were set up with a dry sump system, a tank like this could also have been used to hold the oil, cool it and then it would return to the engine.
Thanks T-head. Very much like what the salt flats guys did. Guess this is where they(salt flats guys) got it from.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #117
Roadster62

DAYTON or BUFFALO wire wheels, do you have a favorite? For some reason I think DAYTONS were more popular of full race T's, Buffalo's saw more street use. The location of the cars may have an effect on which wheel was more popular.

I need a left front and both rear hubs plus 4 20-21 inch Buffalos to complete a set.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #118
t-head

Quote:
DAYTON or BUFFALO wire wheels, do you have a favorite? For some reason I think DAYTONS were more popular of full race T's, Buffalo's saw more street use. The location of the cars may have an effect on which wheel was more popular.

I need a left front and both rear hubs plus 4 20-21 inch Buffalos to complete a set.
I think you are right, the Dayton's have a much stronger wheel hub and the dental drive can't be beat. It think all of the serious racers who could afford a set used them. But I think they must weigh a little more than the Buffalo's if weight is a consideration. Let's put it this way, I'll take a set of what ever you bring me when you come to visit. LOL

I want the same exact thing...... a set of 21" wheels with lock rings and hubs. I will pay a fair price for a good set that run true and do not need a lot of work. PM or email me. Thanks T-H

Last edited by t-head; 06-15-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #119
t-head

I may come back to Robert Roof's chassis pieces later but before I finish up for now I want to show two of the most important T innovations he came up with.

We will cover racing crankshafts later after cylinder heads but you need to see what he came up with to solve the broken crankshaft problem. He probably had castings made which were then machined to fit. He somehow machined the inside of the block to hold these pieces that where then bolted in.

A three main crank in a four will always wear the center main more than the others. It also is not enough support and what he came up with was the ultimate.

The other key was his ball bearing 4th main which when set up in good alignment with the crank was a big help in longevity and reduced friction.

I would be really interested in seeing a good picture of Roofs #2 & #3 crankshaft supports if anyone has one.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #120
t-head

The next plan here is to cover another cylinder head manufacturer. Instead of jumping around to much I am wondering if anyone has anything to add that I may have missed on Roof heads. I have tried to cover what I have good back ground info available on. I am sure there are some variations as racing is a constantly changing thing. Stay the same in racing and you get left behind quickly.

I am going to double check and I may add a little more Roof info and wanted to cover him early because he was one of the pioneers with overheads. The next head I want to cover is another earlier one the Craig Hunt so be on the look out for anything you may have.

The other thing I think would be nice to cover in the future after we get done with the overheads would be flatheads. So if any of you out there have a good archive of info contact me and we can work on a plan to cover them down the road. What I am trying to do with this thread is keep focused on a particular topic until we have covered all or most of the info that we have available. If we do it in this way on our format it will be easier to search later as most of it will be in on area. But if you discover something new about something we have already covered please feel free to share with us what you have found.

And again, thanks to all of you for joining in and we look forward to anything you find that is interesting in T racing. T-H
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #121
Roadster62

I have to find the magazine page in the files with the ROOF Supercharger on the T. Nice headon photo withthe radiator off the car. Around 1976 I had two ROOF overhead cam heads for a model A or B block. HEAVY, no idea what they were cast from, had a shaft drive off the crank, somewhat like a 1920's Bentley. Sold them both to Doc Pruden in California. I often wonder if someone has them on a running car.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #122
t-head

Quote:
I have to find the magazine page in the files with the ROOF Supercharger on the T. Nice headon photo withthe radiator off the car. Around 1976 I had two ROOF overhead cam heads for a model A or B block. HEAVY, no idea what they were cast from, had a shaft drive off the crank, somewhat like a 1920's Bentley. Sold them both to Doc Pruden in California. I often wonder if someone has them on a running car.
That would be great.... Look forward to seeing it and anything else Roof.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #123
t-head

From the looks of it these boys got into a bit of a tight spot. Thats a nice looking Livingston radiator, but from the looks of this photo I think its has been wounded.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #124
t-head

A very interesting story with more of it to follow.

By 1936 times were tough, even on the Central Coast of California. A stock market crash on the East Coast in 1929 and a dust bowl in the Midwest had set off a slow rolling shock wave of economic downturn that would eventually be felt all the way out west. This tidal wave of depression pushed a boatload of broke and tired migrants to the West coast in search of jobs and the promise of a better life.

As the depression set in, the locals in Lompoc, California were resigned to the conditions of the times. A group of young men faced with a limited amount of work and very little money were looking for a diversion as a distraction to this depression. They found it by creating a local dust bowl of their own.

This dust bowl began with the formation of a Model-T racing club. Model T’s were not just cheap by the 1930’s, they were free for the taking. Often abandoned where they died along roadways and riverbeds, one could just tow one home or strip it down in place for the parts. These simple mass produced contraptions , were also easy to work on for the mechanically inclined.

There were plenty of mechanically inclined young men in an agricultural town. They grew up working on tractors and farm machinery. Many were garage owners or service station mechanics. They all shared one common love, building junk cars and making them go as fast as they could. In order to collectively pursue their passion they decided to form a club.

The first meeting of the prospective Model T membership took place in the basement of the Elite Bakery in the fall of 1936. As stated in their racing programs for the first track races in 1938, “The Lompoc Model T Club was organized in September 1936 as a recreation and hobby. There were only eight charter members. Today there are over thirty.” “Today” was October of 1938.

The first sanctioned race was held on November 29, 1936. It was a road race that started in the center of town and traveled a 35 mile course. A publicity release described the features of the upcoming course, “practically every kind of road condition to be encountered. Very little of the stretch is paved and there are several gates to be opened. A hard pull is ahead of the gasoline chariots on the Stewart Grade and it is the opinion of several that most of the cars will meet their Waterloo there.”

Meeting ones “Waterloo” was typically the outcome for most of the early race cars. They were built out of junk parts salvaged from long abandoned Model-T cars, which were practically free for the taking. In order to compete the cars had to be built upon a stock Model T chassis including the wood spoke rims and balloon tires. The motors also had to be basically stock, with some internal modifications as invented by these ingenious early engineers.

Mail order speed parts were unheard of in these early days. Beauty of design was definitely not a priority either. In fact in this macho world of racing they likely put more emphasis on ugliness than style. The main adornment on most cars was a decal or gas pump sign featuring the drivers fuel of choice. This early racing competition was mainly a contest between gas station and garage owners, so naturally they wanted bragging rights for the fuel they represented.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #125
t-head

The early T-racers are some of the most beautiful ugly cars you will ever see. Manned by a driver and a mechanic, these dust churning rattle traps rolled around the dirt roads of Lompoc sputtering and spewing smoke. The winner was usually the only car that actually finished the race. In actuality several cars finished the first race in 1936. Armand Cazenave and Walt Mafrina won this race and would be perpetual winners of future races. Two more road races were held in the spring and fall of 1937.

To survive a road race it was necessary to have your mechanic along for the ride. Of course, many of the drivers were able mechanics as well, but in a road race you didn’t break down in pit row. The mechanic, besides being prepared to fix the car, also had to open and close the cattle gates separating the ranches along the course. Tires were always a problem too and a quicker change could be facilitated by a team of two. This meant that the membership of the club was at least double the number of cars to be raced. Often these teams were made up of brothers.

As the racing action continued so did the local interest. More cars were built and more members joined the club. Due to the interest and general concerns about safety, dust and noise, it became evident that racing would have to move from the road to the track. The races were also attracting spectators and for them it was difficult to watch a race spread out along a sometime remote 35 mile course. When cars broke down out on the road course it was a long walk home too.

The end of the article is just down the page a little.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #126
Buildy

T-Head,

Thanks for the heads up on this thread-I registered and bookmarked it!
Buildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #127
s1b

T-head, as usual, great pics and history!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #128
t-head

The last part of the Lompoc Racing story by Curt Cragg.

The T-club began looking for suitable locations to build a track just outside the city limits. There was plenty of open land, but in a fertile farming valley, few people could afford to concede productive property to a race track. In the midst of a depression, the club members were not in a position to purchase property either.

The creative outcome was that the club members reached an agreement with a local farmer to use his field between crops. Once the crop was harvested, the club members would plow out an oval race track. The stipulation from the farmer was that they would re-plow the field once the racing was over.

The first T-Club oval track was cut at Beckwith Ranch, a few miles east of Lompoc on the Lompoc-Buellton Highway (now Highway 246). It was a picturesque setting with the green hillsides in the background and the track surrounding two “lakes”, which were actually vernal ponds used for irrigation.

If It had been a wet year the ponds contained some water. This was important because the only way to keep the track from becoming a dust bowl was to water it down before the races. Located in a narrow valley that drew ocean air into the inland Santa Ynez Valley, conditions could be windy, especially in June. Add to that the churning wheels of a dozen race cars and the mix was a whirling dervish of dust. Wearing only goggles in cars with no front windows or tops, the drivers were facing limited visibility and tough driving conditions, especially if they weren’t in front.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #129
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildy View Post
T-Head,

Thanks for the heads up on this thread-I registered and bookmarked it!
Buildy.....Thanks for coming by.....I hope you can help us out here with some of your always great photos. T-H
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #130
t-head

I am going to back up a little and show some photos, if the story is true of the origin of the Rajo overhead. Evidently this, the first model, the 35 was developed to give the TT truck more power. They were quite slow and you did not need a speedo as a calendar works just fine at 22 MPH.

This TT panel truck reputedly received the first Rajo as a means of trying to get more speed out of them for quicker deliveries.

The last two photos show a model 35 Rajo.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #131
Kurtis

More of the two T's from the '09 Ocean to Ocean race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909cc2005.jpg (46.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1909cc2006.jpg (56.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 1909cc2001.jpg (56.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #132
t-head

Here is a neat photo of a young sport in his early racer in front of a great sign.

Thanks for the race photos Kurtis.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #133
t-head

One head I neglected to show with the other Rajo's is the Four Valve head. It is the style called an F-Head which is intake over exhaust. The intakes were of coarse in the head which also left plenty of room for water passages.

The exhaust was handled by the standard Ford exhaust valves and manifold. This head was cheaper to produce than an eight valve and was good for trucks, passenger cars up to about 60 MPH.

The last two photos show two different heads one of which has fabricated rocker arms. I believe this head has been reproduced in recent times.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #134
t-head

These photos show the second design Model 35 Rajo with twin intake ports and a simeased exhaust port in the middle of the head. Compare it with the first style head in the first photo.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #135
t-head

Old 06-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #136
s1b

I would love to have any of these four!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachmentkj.jpg (22.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #137
t-head

A very interesting T racer photographed in front of the White House.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #138
s1b

If you guys dont mind me asking,,, What are some good book to get to learn more about these types of cars? I know and have been reading about salt flats and dry lakes stuff, but nothing about this period/ era. I do know stuff about dry lakes and salt flats racing from this period, but not dirt tracks, and board tracks.
When I was a kid(only 35 now) my grandfather would talk about board track racing in Atlantic city and Camden New jersey (I'm from that area). Just like many people at that age, I would half a*@ listen. I wish I could talk to him now. He would always say "You never seen racing until you seen board track racing"
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #139
t-head

For any of you that want to know more this is a good place to start. Buy both of these books. They are excellent and will fill you in on T racing equipment. They are both available on EBAY and here is a link.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com:80/i.htm..._dmd=2&_sop=10

To learn more about PRE-WWII racing use this link to Kurtis's excellent site about every form of early racing.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=380814

Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #140
s1b

Thanks T-Head, just ordered "Model T Speed Secrets"

I ordered "Speed & Sport" the otherday, just waiting for it to arrive. Ive been reading Kutis's thread. Great stuff!!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #141
t-head

This photograph of Carl Mayfield of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with his #C-13 Frontenac known as the Mayfield Special was taken at the Kansas State Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Kansas on July 4, 1934. Charles Pauley collection.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #142
t-head

Charles Leroy Pauley was born on December 31, 1912 at Herington, Kansas. As a teenager, he remembers watching such drivers as John Gerber and “Dad” Harrier race at Abilene, Kansas when he attended the races there with his uncle, Henry George Pauley (1897-1962).

Henry Pauley built a bobtail racing car and attempted to copy John Gerber’s successful machine as closely as possible. Pauley found Gerber willing to share his knowledge and they visited for hours at a time about what Pauley would need to do to build a competitive racing car. Pauley’s bobtail utilized a 4-cylinder Chevrolet engine with an Oldsmobile head which increased the compression and had larger valves than a stock Chevrolet head. It was painted dark blue with red lettering.

Charles Pauley raced from 1932 through 1935 spending most of that time in his uncle’s #14 bobtail Chevrolet.

Some of the later races were in a white #28 Frontenac that Henry purchased from Jim White shortly after White moved to Herington, Kansas.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #143
Buildy

T-Head,

Did you see the Mercer Racer in this thread on the last page?

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...?t=2361&page=5
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #144
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildy View Post
T-Head,

Did you see the Mercer Racer in this thread on the last page?

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...?t=2361&page=5
Buildy thanks, I did, it turns out to be one that I have a different photo of the other side. I reposted it and this photo on Kurtis's HAMB racing site.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...80814&page=190
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #145
Buildy

Here are photos I took of the hand built Model T racer at the Stan Lobitz racing movie Party a couple years ago.

Car raced in the Carolinas of all places... I Don`t have any history on it,though.

Bodywork was made from old signs-it says Quakerstate on the inside of cowl IIRC....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerr...53037/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerr...n/photostream/

Last edited by Buildy; 06-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #146
Buildy

Not sure where this story should go,but T-enthusiasts should check it out-I found it on the HAMB...

http://www.jessicaryanphotography.co...boutTheCar.htm
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #147
s1b

Very cool car!! Do you have more photos of it?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #148
Buildy

Sorry that`s all of the photos I have of it.

It is now in the EMMR at Latimore Valley PA on loan.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #149
t-head

Buildy, thanks so much for the posts. I know your busy with sprint cars and midgets put post some more if you have anything and the time.

Any of you that are keeping up with this thread please post some racing info or pictures if you can.

Here are a couple of photos of that car in the museum.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #150
t-head

This is a really neat adventure with a speedster that you just have to read. Buildy posted it above and there is another link to it here. They have also posted lot's of photos.

Trip of a Lifetime - By: Matt Ryan

Three years ago, my wife and I were on our way to Northern Oregon for a car tour. It was a long drive from California and our little four-cylinder Toyota was chugging over the Siskyous pulling our Model T behind us. Somehow along the drive, we began talking about Alaska and how great it would be to spend a month driving a Model T down the Alaskan Highway. The prospect of such a long trip was so exciting, but seemed so impossible for two newly weds who just bought their first house. We couldn’t wait for retirement to take this trip. By the time we arrived in Northern Oregon, we had our trip planned.

With Jess just starting law school, we had four years to prepare for our trip of a lifetime. We will take the ferry up to Whittier, Alaska. Then we will drive back to Seattle in our Model T Speedster that I built in High School. We are taking a primitive car with no top or windshield exposing us to all the elements. It wouldn’t be right to stay in hotels, so we decided we would camp the entire way home. We really want to “rough it.” I designed and built an aluminum teardrop trailer to tow behind the Model T that only weighs 450 pounds. This will give us a dry place to stay as we expect to encounter plenty of rain.

Three years have now passed and we are ready. We have purchased our ferry tickets and there is no turning back. We have saved up plenty of money to fund our trip and Jess has now graduated from Law School. As soon as she takes the BAR, we will head for Seattle to begin our journey. It will be just the two of us, my tool bag, our HCCA directory, and Henry’s fliver towing the aluminum tear drop trailer I built just for the occasion. Six days on the ferry, 3500 miles in the Model T, and 100,000 pictures later, our one-month trip of a lifetime will be over.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #151
MrModelT

Murry Fharnstock's book "Model T Speed Secrets" is a "Bible" for speedster building...I used it almost exclusively when building my '26 Roadster.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #152
t-head

I have tried to cover Roof and Rajo heads as well as I can other than one Rajo model I am looking for some information on.

So I am going to show you the next head I have in mind as again I am trying to start with the early makers first. This head is the Craig Hunt SOHC 16-valve head. I have not had any experience with one nor have I seen one in person. Based on what I have observed it looks like it had the potential to work well if it was manufactured to a good standard.

The manufacturer stated that it was only meant for speed-cars or racing so don't let the single chain which looks small fool you into thinking it would break in no time. The chain is not much smaller than a motorcycle chain of the time which had to transmit 5-15 HP in the dirt and dust. They stated that it only took 1/2 HP to drive it, which could be handled by a small chain that was maintained and oiled regularly. I am not saying it would last forever but in racing it and the sprockets could be changed regularly and oiled well before each race, which usually were not all that long. If the engine has a pressurized oiling system a chain oiler could be devised although it would be a total loss. Back in this period engines and machinery leaked a lot so it would not have been a concern then.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #153
t-head

I am going to be really busy for the next two days with a project and will not be able to post. So I am hoping that you, the readers will start to contribute more. I does not take all that long and we are looking forward to hearing and seeing what you may have going on or know about. So please post what you think we will be interested in for all of us to learn more about T racing. T-Head

Last edited by t-head; 06-19-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #154
Roadster62

I've only seen one Craig-Hunt head, that was back in 1970 in the Hershey flea market. Tommy from Antique Auto Parts in Texas bought it for $900.00, that was HUGE money at the time, but one or the first overheads if not THE first for T's.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #155
twin6

T speedster, c. 1917.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut down.jpg (70.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #156
Kurtis

"GOLDEN T"

Owned by Arthur E. George, a typical English sportsman of the day, he was initially a champion cyclist in South Africa before the turn of the century and later served in the Second Boer War.

Returning to England in 1902, he formed the company George & Jobling with Robert Lee Jobling, at first manufacturing bicycles and later motor cars and automobile bodies. The company were also agents for other brands namely Argil, Darracq, Hillman, Fordson and Ford. George & Jobling are also credited as inventing the forerunner of the trollyjack and the breakdown truck and survived at the same premises for over 60 years.

A.E.George was also an active racing car driver achieving his best result in 1908 placing third driving a Darracq in the RAC Tourist Trophy race. He also won many races at Brooklands, Saltburn Sands and hillclimb events in a stripped down Model T Ford. This same car would later be fitted with a brass body and was recently restored after being taken from it's long hibernation in an English barn. It was also the subject of a television show on the BBC Network.

During this time George was also an accomplished aviator gaining his flying certificate in 1910 and later designing his own aircraft until a crash at an airshow and a rejection by the banks for further funds put a stop to such ambitious pursuits. Although this was a set back, he didn't stop flying. He also served with distinction in both World Wars.

A.E.George passed away in 1951 and was awarded a posthumous Silver Medal from the Royal Aero Club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt4.jpg (88.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg gt5.jpg (64.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg gt3.jpg (69.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg gt2.jpg (38.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg gt1.jpg (41.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Kurtis; 06-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #157
Kurtis

Long time Bonneville racer Seth Hammond's Fronty headed T. The article appeared in HOTROD Magazine in 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh5.jpg (60.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg sh6.jpg (69.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg sh7.jpg (69.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg sh8.jpg (76.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg sh1.jpg (72.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg sh2.jpg (84.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg sh3.jpg (36.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg sh4.jpg (49.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #158
t-head

Posey Reeves of Oklahoma City, is shown here in his first racing car. He raced at the the Kansas State Fair races. He was a guy that supposely always ran last, just out to have fun. He had a wrecking yard in Oklahoma City".

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #159
t-head

This panoramic photograph was taken with a cirkut camera at the automobile races held on September 11-12, 1925 at the Kiowa County Fair at Hobart, Oklahoma. Adults had paid $1 to view the races from the grandstand while children got in for 25 cents.

The car at the far left is unidentified.

The car second from left is the #15 owned and driven by John Gerber of Meriden, Kansas who is shown standing just behind the car. Gerber set the fastest time of 33 seconds flat in time trials and was leading a race on Saturday afternoon (September 12th) when he punctured a tire and rolled the car. He was ejected from the car and injured his shoulder in what was the worst crash of his racing career.

The #5 car third from left is a Dodge owned by “Red” Gardner and driven by Sam Jewell both of Duncan, Oklahoma. That is Mrs. Jewell and Mrs. Gardner standing beside the car.

The fourth car from left is unidentified.

The #7 car fifth car from left is owned and driven by Phineas Comador “Dad” Harrier of Hiawatha, Kansas.

Neither the driver nor owner of the #6 Pooles special, sixth from left, are identified.

The #7 car seventh from left was owned and driven by “Red” Gardner of Duncan, Oklahoma.

The eighth car from left is a Chevrolet driven by Henry “Wingey” Williams, a one-armed driver from Wichita Falls, Texas.

The #400 car ninth from left is an over-head cam Chevrolet driven by George Souders of Indianapolis , Indiana. Souders went on to win the 1927 Indianapolis “500” and finished third in his only other start in that race in 1928.

The #28 car tenth from left is a Fronty Ford driven by Al Kocpke of Topeka, Kansas. The number does appear at first to be “22” in this photo but, upon close examination it is obvious that the number on the car had been altered from the #22 it once carried to #28.

The flagman standing on the infield of the racetrack and to the far right in the photo is George Hatton who co-promoted these races with Tim Hurst.
15 cars were entered in these races at Hobart with 12 cars actually competing. Besides the cars identified above, others known to have been entered in these races were driven by Harley Wells of Miami, Oklahoma; Gib Bryan and John Busby both of Hobart, Oklahoma; John Boling of Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Harvey Vance whose hometown is unknown.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #160
FL&WVMIKE

MAN ! ...................
This "T" Racing Thread is fantastic. It makes me want to go out and start gathering up "T" parts to build a speedster ! ........If I ever get caught up ! ......
MIKE
Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #161
s1b

You and me both,hahaha.
I'm trying to build something "speedsterish", Kind of GOW.
Hard to find the parts in FL.Reading throught the Model T speed and sport book at the moment, next Model T fast Ford book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
MAN ! ...................
This "T" Racing Thread is fantastic. It makes me want to go out and start gathering up "T" parts to build a speedster ! ........If I ever get caught up ! ......
MIKE
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #162
FL&WVMIKE

BARREL RACING AT DAYTONA BEACH .............
In the teens and twenties, they had Barrel Racing right on the beach. One looks like a "T" Model to me.
MIKE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrelrace.jpg (319.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #163
t-head

BARREL RACING AT DAYTONA BEACH .............
In the teens and twenties, they had Barrel Racing right on the beach. One looks like a "T" Model to me.

FL&WVMIKE..........Great photo, the car on the right appears to be an Essex. T-H
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #164
t-head

A little more info on the Craig-Hunt Company;

The Craig-Hunt Company was formed in 1915-1916 when Wilbert L. (Bill) Hunt, a well known mid-west dirt track racer, teamed up with businessman John P. Craig in order to supply their own 16-valve Peugeot-type racing heads and underslung chassis kits for the Ford Model T, the vehicle of choice for the region’s burgeoning grass roots racers.

The firm rented an eighth floor office (suite 835) in the Lemcke Building at 235 N. Pennsylvania and E. Market Sts. in downtown Indianapolis and operated a small factory at 1500 Madison Ave. In 1917 Craig-Hunt added a bobtailed Model T speedster body to their Model T Ford speed catalog.

Bill Hunt was an early airplane enthusiast/pilot and placed the following classified ad in the Dec 1913 issue of AERO magazine:

Aviator - W. L. Hunt is now open for position, building or flying. Curtiss preferred. Want party to furnish motor for Curtiss-type. 2926 Kenwood Ave., Indianapolis, Ind.

By 1918 they had relocated to larger quarters at 910 N. Illinois St. Craig-Hunt’s 1918 Ford Speed Specialties catalog offered their own Peugeot-type 16-valve Speedway Head and the complimentary torpedo-tailed “Speedway” body which was inspired by the Peugeot’s famous Indianapolis racers. The Speedster bodies were supplied by another Indianapolis manufacturer, Morton & Brett.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #165
t-head

I think that Mutt and Jeff here in this photo had a canoe company for a racing sponsor.

One of them sent this card back home to keep the folks on the farm up to speed.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #166
t-head

I found this photo mixed in with a quantity of photos that were left over from San Francisco area new car dealer promo photos. Nice looking Speedster..... can anyone identify the body maker??

Unfortunate choice of location for the spare tire and wheel in fact, I think it would drag on occasion.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #167
Roadster62

We need to start a shop tour of Indianapolis in the 1920's. Morton & Brett were located at 811-813-815 Eest 23rd Street in 1929.
Quote:

By 1918 they had relocated to larger quarters at 910 N. Illinois St. Craig-Hunt’s 1918 Ford Speed Specialties catalog offered their own Peugeot-type 16-valve Speedway Head and the complimentary torpedo-tailed “Speedway” body which was inspired by the Peugeot’s famous Indianapolis racers. The Speedster bodies were supplied by another Indianapolis manufacturer, Morton & Brett.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #168
t-head

By 1918 they had relocated to larger quarters at 910 N. Illinois St. Craig-Hunt’s 1918 Ford Speed Specialties catalog offered their own Peugeot-type 16-valve Speedway Head and the complimentary torpedo-tailed “Speedway” body which was inspired by the Peugeot’s famous Indianapolis racers. The Speedster bodies were supplied by another Indianpolis manufacturer, Morton & Brett.

A transcription of a 1919 advertisement for the Craig-Hunt Speedway Body follows:

“The CRAIG-HUNT Speedway Body has proved itself the most popular special body ever marketed. The metal work is of 21 gauge Auto Steel, and all important seams are welded and finished. The flared cowl, a feature found only on the highest priced custom built racing bodies has a tendency to direct air currents up and over the driver's head.

“The body is heavily bound with round metal which makes it rigid and free from vibration. All wood work is of oak, gained together with glue and screws. The seating space is exceptionally comfortable for two people, having ample leg room, and the cushions, which are 34 inches wide, are upholstered with a good grade of manufactured leather over curled hair and long coil springs.

“The hood is hinged top and sides louvers on each side panel. Tail is of the famous French Peugeot Torpedo design. It is formed over a canoe type light wood frame. The tail is exceptionally rigid, all seams welded. The radiator shell fur nished with the body is provided with a filler cap which screws into place in the stock Ford radiator, making it unnecessary to use another radiator. It entirely eliminates the Ford appearance.

“The apron or drop is a permanent part of the body and is designed to give the car a lower appearance, covers the frame and assists in forming a stream line effect.

“There is ample room for carrying pump, jack and tools. The tool box is reached by unsnapping the rear seat cushion and removing same. The FORD gasoline tank may be used in the tail, by shortening same. Hole for filling is on right side, immediately aft the mechanic's seat.

“The body is so designed as to make instal1aUon simple, and it may be installed in a very short time. Bodies are primed with a heavy coat of filler. Painting, $25.00 extra. Weight of body, ready for shipment, about 250 pounds.

“Price, complete with radiator shell, $150.00. F. O. B. Indianapolis.

“OUR $125 BODY OUTFIT

“We also offer this same general design with hood of three pieces, but not hinged, without tool compartment and hole for filling gasoline tank, and with less expensive upholstering, built throughout of lighter wood and metal, complete with the light weight underslung parts. Price, complete with radiator shell and underslung parts, $125. F. O. B. Indianapolis.”

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #169
t-head

On March 17, 1920 the Craig-Hunt Motor Company was incorporated in the State of Delaware with a capital stock of $1,000,000 by John P. Craig, Wilbert L. Hunt and Chester L. Zechiel who hoped to built a low-cost 103” wheelbase, 16-valve roadster and touring car of "wonder performance".

John P. Craig and Wilbert L. Hunt, were the very same Craig and Hunt that produced Craig-Hunt Speed Specialties and Chester Leonard Zechiel (1884-1953) was the Indianapolis attorney who financed the capitalization.

A preliminary advertisement stated that the car would use the Craig-Hunt 16-valve overhead cam head and their proprietary underslung spring suspension, but the vehicle never made it to production. In June of 1920 the firm was enjoined against building its new Maple Road Blvd, plant by a new Indianapolis ordi nance that prohibited erection of a manufacturing plant within 500 feet of a boulevard.

On October 14th, 1920 the Craig-Hunt Motor Company was forced into receivership for an outstanding debt amounting to $125.50. With their hopes of automobile manufacturing squashed, the three partners went their separate ways. Zechiel returned to his successful law practice, Hunt created a new firm, the Speedway Engineering Co., in order to market his 16-valve heads and Craig organized the Race-Way Body Company in order to produce speedster bodies.

Hunt kept the firm’s 910 N. Illinois St. factory and advertised his 16-valve heads which were now available with an optional bevel gear drive for $215, or the original chain & sprocket drive for $165. Also available were complete race or road cars which were competitively priced starting at $1200.

Speedway’s 1921 catalog included all the parts needed to put together your own underslung speedster ranging from Splitdorf magnetos to their own pistons, crankshafts, camshafts and 8-valve heads and continued to offer the Morton & Brett-sourced “Speedway” speedster body.

Hunt was historically more interested in his racing activities than in business and by 1923 he had run Speedway Engineering into the ground and Carl Rogers, another Indianapolis-based racer and parts dealer, purchased his inventory at the receiver’s auction.

Hunt then opened up a small garage called Imperial Motors, where he rebuilt engines and installed aftermarket speed equipment between 1923 and 1925.

For the 1924 Indianapolis 500, the Chevrolet Brothers prepared three Fronty-Fords for Barber-Warnock, an Indianapolis Ford dealer. They hired Hunt to pilot one of the machines, and he qualified 19th in a field of 22 eventually finishing 14th. Now that he had accomplished one of his life-long goals - albeit as a hired gun - Hunt gradually withdrew from racing and returned to his first love, building and flying airplanes.

John P. Craig’s Race-Way Body Corp. was headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, and claimed to have its own body factory in Muncie, Indiana. The Race-Way speedster body was very similar to the Craig-Hunt/Morton & Brett “Speedway” body except the tail was lower and more rounded in order to better conform with the fenders of a stock Model T.

Their bodies were well thought of and following Race-Way’s 1922 bankruptcy, continued to be distributed by Morton & Brett, as the “Roadway” race body, which was available in two models, the 6 and 6F.

Most speedster experts believe its remaining inventory was purchased by Morton & Brett and Race-Way’s owner, John P. Craig, withdrew from the automobile business and became a real estate agent and investor.

A search of newspaper classifieds from papers across the country reveals aftermarket Ford speedster bodies were most popular between 1920 and 1922. The earliest ads date from early 1918 and by 1923 I noticed a sharp drop-off in frequency. By 1925 only used bodies were advertised, typically priced between $20-35, including windshields. I could find no ads for any Ford, Chevy or Dodge-based speedster or generic speedster body dated 1926 or afterwards.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #170
t-head

This reprint from the Vintage Ford shows the only photo I have been able to find of the bevel drive set up that replaced the earlier chain drive to the cam on the Craig Hunt head.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #171
FL&WVMIKE

t-head ........................
Perhaps that spare tire and wheel, on your last photo, was mounted on a spindle, and would roll, if it encountered anything. But, it's still a bad location.
MIKE
Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #172
t-head

One of the early system of using levers to increase valve lift was made by Riley. These early systems may have pre dated the overhead valve heads.

The description tells you how they work.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #173
t-head

A 1920 Ford with what appears to be a manufactured body. The radiator is an after market Peerless. The car was raced in NY State in its day and has been run at Syracuse on the mile track.

The body builder is unknown to me but a good perusal of the books covering the subject would probably bear results.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #174
t-head

This must have been Daddys little girl.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #175
t-head

Henry with one of the Trans-Con Race cars in 1909. Take a good look at them and the car and the conditions in the second photo. The photos really put into prospective how tough this was and how tough they were.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #176
t-head

I got to thinking that this T service truck from the UK would have been ideal for a T racer to use and get his tools and spares to the track.

Instead of the mill rolls up on top it would have been perfect for tires and rims. The rest of the box would have been great for tools and parts.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #177
t-head

A T Speedster in a parade in Maine.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #178
t-head

How about these two cuties and an Ames Speedster.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #179
t-head

A very attractive Speedster body which they tell us we can make money with.

The $100 wholesale cost, probably sold for $125-$150 retail. I found this add in an automotive trade paper.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #180
t-head

I found 3/4 rear view photo of the Harrah Ames Cloverleaf Speedster that we looked at earlier.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #181
Kohnke Rebabbitting

We have car NO. 33, and it was supposed to be the first to have front wheel brakes. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #182
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
We have car NO. 33, and it was supposed to be the first to have front wheel brakes. Herm.
Herm...... Could you share some more photos and details of it with us?? Thanks, T-H
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #183
s1b

Quote:
Herm...... Could you share some more photos and details of it with us?? Thanks, T-H
Herm, Please share more info.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #184
Mac the Yankee

Quote:
This must have been Daddys little girl.
That's a great radiator shell (was looking for that style for a while)- would love to see that car from the side!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #185
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
That's a great radiator shell (was looking for that style for a while)- would love to see that car from the side!
Mac.... I have a feeling it is this type of radiator which was called the Fiat style. This body was made by Morton and Brett and sold by Laurel. I plan on doing different bodies later so if anyone has good photos hang on to them.

After we do cylinder heads I would like to do chassis and then all of the different bodies that were made along with some customs.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #186
s1b

Quote:
Mac.... I have a feeling it is this type of radiator which was called the Fiat style. This body was made by Morton and Brett and sold by Laurel. I plan on doing different bodies later so if anyone has good photos hang on to them.

After we do cylinder heads I would like to do chassis and then all of the different bodies that were made along with some customs.
I agree, that sure does look like it.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #187
Mac the Yankee

Go to it t-head!!! I'm still looking for more pics of Mercury-bodied Chevrolets and Dodges (sacrelige, I know) and will post what I have of T bodies when you get the thread started.

Take care, Bill

PS- I'll have to look at my T Speed Secrets book- there's another manufacturer that may have made that shell (can't remember the name)- 'course so many of them sold under Laurel, Morton & Brett, etc that sometimes it's hard to know who's parts they REALLY are!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #188
t-head

[QUOTE=Mac the Yankee;33023]Go to it t-head!!! I'm still looking for more pics of Mercury-bodied Chevrolets and Dodges (sacrelige, I know) and will post what I have of T bodies when you get the thread started.

Mac..... Do you have any good period T racing or Speedster photos you can post?? Engines, heads, chassis or whatever?? I am hoping that some of you others will come on board and help out??
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #189
Mac the Yankee

Most of the period shots that I have are already posted, but will see what is there tonight when I get home.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #190
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
Most of the period shots that I have are already posted, but will see what is there tonight when I get home.
Mac that would be great, keep on the look out and post whatever you can when you see something you think fits in.

If anyone else can help post good period photos or well done modern cars we would like you to come on board and help. Thanks T-H
Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #191
craneygartz

There were also other wheels.

These American Rudge Whitworths were made right there in Philadelphia at Standard Roller Bearing. There were both passenger hubs and racing hubs. The ads are from the early twenties.

Richard Brothers in the UK still make them - clincher rims or straight side with "snap" ring.
http://www.richards-bros.com/straight_sided_rims.htm

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Ad.jpg (55.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 212834046_o.jpg (42.1 KB, 53 views)
craneygartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #192
t-head

craneygartz......Thanks for the post and the link on the wire wheels.

One more early OHC head that Murray Fahnestock discusses but I do not have any idea if it was actually produced. It seems to be a little far fetched to have been made as it required two cams to be made and it would have been very expensive. If any body has any more info on it please post it.

The original valves were retained, but I assume it would have needed a special cam to open two valves in a cylinder at a time. The cam in the head was driven by a chain like the early Craig Hunt head.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #193
t-head

Model T racing as you can see, got a little rough at times. Unfortunately I do not have any info on the photo......

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #194
Kohnke Rebabbitting

If I can figure out how to post pictures. thanks Herm.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #195
t-head

This is were I believe the Craig Hunt head ended up next. It was called the Near-Ford that featured a special block that was also available in aluminum at only 42 LBS. From the looks of it they set the head up to run the cam with a gear train that was enclosed. Another nice feature is the full water jackets all the way down the sides.

This block looks similar to later purpose built racing blocks and from appearances could have been quite an engine. Again I don't know if anything else about this engine, or if it was ever produced. If you have any more details on it be sure to let us know.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #196
t-head

The Avaco valve lifting system that used a different way of doing it that did not infringe on Rileys patent. They also sold it for half the price which forced Riley to redesign his and produce it for much less to compete with Avaco.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #197
t-head

An unknown car from the Midwest which did have some sponsorship probably from the local Firestone Tire Dealer.

He must not have been superstitious, check his car number.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #198
t-head

Kurtis, Twin6 and myself on our way out last weekend to search for more early RACING photos. The Rapid truck belongs to three of our friends who are a little more normal than we are.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #199
t-head

6-10-1929...... Read all about it.......It has Model T frame rails along with a T front end and steering grafted onto what I believe is a Harley-Davidson twin. If you spend the time to read the text and think about it, the proof is there that you cannot always believe what you read.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #200
t-head

Another unknown midwest car, this one is bobbed.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #201
t-head

One more unknown car from the midwest.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #202
t-head

This guy evidently could not do curves.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #203
s1b

Quote:
This guy evidently could not do curves.
Your not kidding!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #204
t-head

I found some interesting info on the Craig Hunt head in Aerial Age Weeky, Aug. 4 1919.

Note the photo of the prop shaft bolted right on top of a flathead on the left. The photos are poor but actually show the engine in the photo is a car chassis. Notice the steering column.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #205
t-head

Ford Model T at the Le Mans Classic....... The Ford Montier. It was a French modified Model T, they even made their own OHV rocker arm heads simular to a Rajo or Fronty eight valve.

I hope my friend Kurtis will do a story on them when he can find time as he knows quite a bit about them. Follow this link to Octane Magazine and read the story with photos about this effort.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...ns-44161.xhtml

Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #206
t-head

I have noticed that very few of you have posted anything and I am wondering why. Maybe coming over from the old Ford Barn where it was not done much some of you don't know how or get frustrated by posting photos.

Ryan pointed me to these directions so I am posting them here for you to try. If you have trouble, do what I found works well, ask a young computer savvy person to help you. Once you get it down it is very easy.

A couple of things that make it clearer to start the process is to scroll to the bottom of any page and you will see the first thing to do. (photo 1) If you want to just post text click on post quick reply and type. To post a photo click on go advanced.

This will bring you to a second window (photo 2) where you can do one of two things. Click on the paper clip just to the right of the smiley face which is for attachments. Or at the bottom of the photo you can see where it says manage attachments, you can click on it . Both do the same thing and will open a pop up where you will choose you images. (Photo 3)

The directions on there are Ryan's and tell you where to find your photos and how to attach them. One photo goes in each choose file button. After you have chosen your photo or photos click on the upload button and wait for them to show up just below in an area that will open and tell you they are there and are attachments. Then you click on the upload button which will upload them. The attaching and uploading may take a while so be patient if the are large photos.

Then follow Ryan's instructions in (Photo 4) and you should be able to post your message or also your photos. If you make a mistake and you have posted just click edit button first, then the delete button and it will open back up and you then hit all of the delete buttons and your mistake will go away, so don't be afraid to try.

So get someone to help you if your lost or just keep trying, it will be easy after you learn how.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #207
t-head

An early racer with a Craig Hunt 16 valve OHC head. Follow the link below for more photos fof the car in Bill Smith's Collection.

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com.../IMG8877.shtml

Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #208
t-head

How about this radically bobbed T Racer. The brakes appear to be off of something else. This must have been meant for short sprints but I would think those seats would get too your back going to and from the track......But these guys back then were tough as nails......

Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #209
FL&WVMIKE

t-head ................
Yes, it sure looks like it would have been easier to control, with some back support !
MIKE
Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #210
t-head

Next we are going to take a look at a May 15, 1929 Chevolair Motors catalog. You might note that the name is an over stamp in red on the original name. If I remember correctly at this point Chevrolet was trying to promote his equipment for airplanes also.

This is the only original catalog that I have and I will ask if any of you have any for some of the other manufactures??? If you do contact me and maybe we can find a way to post them also.

I am going to post the catalog a little at a time and then cover whatever else information I have on the company. Hope you enjoy it. T-Head

Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #211
t-head

Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #212
t-head

Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #213
t-head

Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #214
t-head

Some present day photos of DOHC 16-valve Fronty's and one that ran at Indianapolis.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #215
t-head

Photos of a SOHC S-R engine.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #216
t-head

A photo of the first style of Fronty head that came out in 1921. It is an eight valve rocker arm head. It was avalible in three types a Model T for cars and trucks a Model S for speedsters and the Model R for racing cars.

The main differences between the heads were in compression ratios.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #217
t-head

From the catalog in the previous post.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #218
t-head

Here we have half the town looking at a roadster with a Fronty head. Notice the Copper on the left wondering how he is ever going to catch you with this guy to give him the big speeding ticket.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #219
Roadster62

Fronty catalog # 81 February 15, 1927, also has the extra 4 page add in for parts # 701 and 702 to addabt the Model A Ford transmission to a T using the special oil pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.JPG (39.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #220
t-head

Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #221
t-head

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #222
t-head

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #223
t-head

Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #224
t-head

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #225
t-head

And this post ends the Fronty Ford Catalog......Hope you have enjoyed it.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #226
t-head

I hope all of you have been enjoying this thread. It started one month ago and from the number of visits it seems to be popular. I really enjoy sharing T racing info and at this point I would like some feed back from you and your thoughts. I had hoped there would be more participation but there have been very few posts other than my own.

Maybe with time the Ford Barn T section will catch on and there will be more participation and I am hoping that some of you will pick up the ball and start adding to this thread.

So again share your thoughts on were you think that we should go with this thread.

Thanks for visiting....T-Head
Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #227
Roger K

I love this thread
Can't contribute much myself, not much T speedster/racing history to be found in Sweden. Might contribute more when my speedster project has progressed further.

I liked the story about the Lompoc Model T club (post 132 onwards)
Wonder if there's someone reading who lives close by? Walt and/or Myra Manfrina might still be around, perhaps with more of the story or more photos ? http://www.lompochistory.org/user/bravetalk%202004.pdf (page 6)
Likely the club ended with the war, but maybe some of the members were a part of the model T restauration hobby later in life?
Roger K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #228
raceron1120

Default !

I enjoy this thread and most others in FB, the pictures and images too. It's great to see ALL Ford stuff.

raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #229
t-head

Two cars with men gathered around at the Auto Show of 1916 in Rochester NY. The name F.W. Williams Son" appears across the side of one car both of which are Model T. Fords. Being in the sheet metal business they could have built these bodies?? RMSC Photo

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #230
Jerry Van

Quote:
How about this radically bobbed T Racer. The brakes appear to be off of something else. This must have been meant for short sprints but I would think those seats would get too your back going to and from the track......But these guys back then were tough as nails......
That's not a Ford rear axle and I don't believe the car is a Ford either.
Jerry Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #231
Jerry Van

The center of that axle is not by Ford. Look at the flange where the two halves come together. The flange doesn't have the usual "bumps" where the bolts go through and the reduced flange diameter in between the bolts. The flange instead is a constant, uninterrupted diameter unlike a Ford.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #232
Jerry Van

It's a Chevrolet 490 rear axle.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #233
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
It's a Chevrolet 490 rear axle.
Jerry maybe your right I don't know much about Chevys.....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #234
FL&WVMIKE

t-head . . . . . . . . . .
I hope that you can keep the thread going. I think, the thing is, just not very many people have information that they can contribute. I LOVE your thread, but I just do not have anything that would be worthy. That stuff you got, is scarce ! Don't worry if you are about the only one contributing. Keep it going !
MIKE
Old 07-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #235
mercbug

This is my Mercury Speedster, a work in progress. "Minnie" is named after my grandmother. I will look through my files for Chevrolet Mercury photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09 16 09 Minnie Script.jpg (77.4 KB, 102 views)
mercbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #236
Speedy T

In response to any books available on speedsters I have developed 2 CD's which are currently available. One is entitled "Speedster Bodies A to Z" and contains 400+ pages of original ads and literature from about 80 companies that sold speedster bodies' The other CD has about 350 pages of speed equipment catalogs such as Craig-Hunt, Laurel, Frontenac, Rajo, Green Engineering, Gallivan and others. Either CD is available for $23.00. Email me if you are interested.
Speedy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #237
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Ok Mr T Head, I will try to get at least one on there first. thanks Herm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132_3299.jpg (129.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #238
t-head

Automobile racer Earl Schnock and an unidentified mechanic in a racecar from the San Diego CA area.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #239
Scott Miller

Mr. T Head, can you give us any information about Ed Koukol and his creations? This one photo is all I have...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KoukolSOHC.jpg (74.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #240
t-head

Scott I was able to find this from an advertisement in the Sept. 2009 Hemmings by doing a Google search of him.

In studying the picture of the head it appears to me to be a Rajo BB head that he made an overhead cam and drive set-up for.

Perhaps someone from the midwest knows more about him?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #241
Scott Miller

I saw that ad also but there aren't any pictures on their website that I could find.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #242
Roadster62

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Hope to see you again at Hershey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercbug View Post
This is my Mercury Speedster, a work in progress. "Minnie" is named after my grandmother. I will look through my files for Chevrolet Mercury photos.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #243
Roadster62

I'll check my old Harrah auction catalogs, I seam to remember this car unrestored being sold. I think Doc Pruden won it, and it has has had a few owners since then.
Quote:
Scott I was able to find this from an advertisement in the Sept. 2009 Hemmings by doing a Google search of him.

In studying the picture of the head it appears to me to be a Rajo BB head that he made an overhead cam and drive set-up for.

Perhaps someone from the midwest knows more about him?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #244
mercbug

Re Koukol race car: Here are a couple of pictures I took at Harrah's in the 70's. The car was outside and was to be sold. As to Doc Pruden, I do know he owned it at one time as Doc and I exchanged Speedster Christmas cards until he passed away and it was on one of his cards. The car is in front of Doc's house. jarvis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koukel1.JPG (78.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg koukel2.JPG (74.4 KB, 142 views)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #245
Scott Miller

Thanks for the follow up and pictures Jarvis!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #246
spendingtheirinheritance

The Koukol racecar ran at the Miller Meet in Milwaukee this year. On the second day it was parked because of Model T clutch troubles. I am pretty sure that the head is a BBR Rajo because there is no flange for carb heat. The car sounded great.
spendingtheirinheritance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #247
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendingtheirinheritance View Post
The Koukol racecar ran at the Miller Meet in Milwaukee this year. On the second day it was parked because of Model T clutch troubles. I am pretty sure that the head is a BBR Rajo because there is no flange for carb heat. The car sounded great.
So it is a BBR that Koukol convered to OHC ?? That is what it looked like to me.

I don't believe that RAJO made an OHC converstion for that head but I could be wrong about that. Does anyone know for sure??
Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #248
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercbug View Post
Re Koukol race car: Here are a couple of pictures I took at Harrah's in the 70's. The car was outside and was to be sold. As to Doc Pruden, I do know he owned it at one time as Doc and I exchanged Speedster Christmas cards until he passed away and it was on one of his cards. The car is in front of Doc's house. jarvis
Thanks for the info on this car. Can you share any more Mercury information with us??
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #249
mercbug

July 2010 marks the 30th anniversary of the July-August 1980 issue of the Vintage Ford magazine, which printed my article on the Mercury Body Corporation. It is probably time to print it again. By the time Hershey rolls around again, I hope to have the upgraded article available for viewing. The process has begun on a much larger version of the history of the Mercury Body Corporation. jarvis
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #250
t-head

Does anyone know any of the history behind this Fronty Ford ??

Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #251
spendingtheirinheritance

Quote:
So it is a BBR that Koukol convered to OHC ?? That is what it looked like to me.

I don't believe that RAJO made an OHC converstion for that head but I could be wrong about that. Does anyone know for sure??
I looked at it pretty closely and am sure it's a BBR that Koukol converted to OHC. I have never heard of a Rajo overhead cam set up for a BB type head but I do have an engine with a Fronty OHC set up on that Rajo head.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #252
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendingtheirinheritance View Post
I looked at it pretty closely and am sure it's a BBR that Koukol converted to OHC. I have never heard of a Rajo overhead cam set up for a BB type head but I do have an engine with a Fronty OHC set up on that Rajo head.
Thanks for letting us know....That is exactly what I thought.

Do you have any good photos of T racers you can share with us?? We need more people to post things if this thread is to keep going. I think I already posted photos of your supercharged Fronty. Maybe you could post a link to you website showing your cars along with you hillclimb record holder and any old photos you may have??
Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #253
spendingtheirinheritance

Quote:

Do you have any good photos of T racers you can share with us?? We need more people to post things if this thread is to keep going. I think I already posted photos of your supercharged Fronty. Maybe you could post a link to you website showing your cars along with you hillclimb record holder and any old photos you may have??
I promise to learn how to post pictures and try to share more information. I am waiting for my daughter to come over and teach me to size and post pictures. As smart as I sometimes think I am, I have come to realize that in matters of computer manipulations, I suck. I still believe that all this computer/internet stuff is a fad and will fade away like pac-man. Of course I still disagree with all this talk about the Earth not being flat. This thread and the racing threads on the HAMB site are the most interesting and informative pieces out there. I certainly hope we never run out of more interesting information

In the meantime I'll post a link to my website that was created with the help of my kids who certainly know all about these new-fangled computers and such. Not everything is on topic--click on the links that interest you. Feel free to comment or correct and use any of the information or pictures. www.buymegivemetakeme.com
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #254
t-head

Roadster racing from the 30's.....

Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #255
SYValleyHistorian

Looks like you picked up my article on the Lompoc Model T Club. Thought you might enjoy some more photos.
SYValleyHistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #256
Roadster62

I don't think RAJO made a single over head cam head, but they made a Twin Cam, that is VERY rare.
Quote:

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #257
t-head

Quote:
I don't think RAJO made a single over head cam head, but they made a Twin Cam, that is VERY rare.
It appears to be a OHC conversion that he did to a Rajo BB or BBR.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #258
t-head

Looks like you picked up my article on the Lompoc Model T Club. Thought you might enjoy some more photos.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but for some reason the photos do not show up. It was a very good article that you wrote.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #259
t-head

Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #260
t-head

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #261
t-head

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #262
IdleHands

Quote:
6-10-1929...... Read all about it.......It has Model T frame rails along with a T front end and steering grafted onto what I believe is a Harley-Davidson twin. If you spend the time to read the text and think about it, the proof is there that you cannot always believe what you read.
I came across this picture a couple of months ago. It looks like a Model T frame upside down and backwards? It's hard to see the front, pretty neat though.

motorcycle.jpg
IdleHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #263
t-head

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #264
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:

I will try T., just found the thread this morning. This is a picture of car 33, with Ernie Triplett as driver, The Barney Spl., Barney Klopfer car builder. Pacific Coast AAA Cars- 1930, listed as 2nd place for the year. In page 99, in the book. The Illustrated History Of Sprint Car Racing, 1896-1942, by Jack C. Fox, there are pictures on pages 71,81,88,92,94,96,. Also in the book Legion Ascot Speedway, by John R. Lucero, on pages 35, and 67. First car to have front wheel Breaks. The car was built 1925, or earlier, had an S-R Fronty, an was wreacked at least two times, and rebuilt, pictures in those two books. We have had the car for around 20 years, I would have to look. Thanks Herm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132_3299.jpg (129.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #265
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleHands View Post
I came across this picture a couple of months ago. It looks like a Model T frame upside down and backwards? It's hard to see the front, pretty neat though.

Attachment 11787

That's pretty awesome.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #266
FRANK PKNY

I have been trying to buy a T frame & engine etc. that was a mid engine race car back in the teens. Has anyone ever seen one? The sheetmetal was lost to a fire but the frame and engine survived with some damage. I'll try to get some photo's posted when I get a look at it some time. Frank pkny
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #267
PDR

Hi T-Head

Fantastic Forum; please keep up the good work.

Attached is a photo of a car I have; I believe it to be called the Empy Spl, supposedly built by employees of the Empy Machine Co in Hazelton, Penn. Photo taken in late 1929; car on display in a movie theatre foyer. Car looks to be new to me, and based on T mechanicals although obviously converted to a 3 springer.

Anybody have any info on this car?

Regards, and keep up the flow of info on an era that is beginning to slip from living memory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Empy original photo.jpg (62.5 KB, 205 views)
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #268
Brent

PDR, do you have any current photos of it? I'd love to see the work done to the front of the frame. Overall, it's a really appealing shape. Good proportions, too.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #269
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
PDR, do you have any current photos of it? I'd love to see the work done to the front of the frame. Overall, it's a really appealing shape. Good proportions, too.
Yes it is quite nice and I thought the same.... share more photos with us if you can. What does it have on it for speed equiptment ??
Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #270
t-head

Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #271
spendingtheirinheritance

Quote:

Here is a photo of one of my Model T racers. It's a supercharged SOHC cammed SR Fronty. Just learning to post pictures. More detailed pictures on my website http://buymegivemetakeme.com/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050213sm.JPG (71.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #272
spendingtheirinheritance

This is my purpose built Model T hillcimber. It's powered by a Gemsa modified DOHC Gallivan/Rajo head on a T block. Not for the timid. www.buymegivemetakeme.com

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #273
spendingtheirinheritance

This car I plan to restore with a Gallivan twin cam on a T block Scan10010-1sm.JPG
Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #274
t-head

Why don't you take the next flight over and visit our photo website? We have over 500 posts and 1000 photos. www.theoldmotor.com

Last edited by t-head; 02-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #275
youngster

I'm new here to the FB. This is the kind of thread I've been looking for. I don't have the knowledge of these cars you all have but I'm really enjoying the posts here.

A few years ago I saw a restored dirt car at a local show and have been hooked ever since. Shortly after that I found a soft cover book, "Dirt Track Auto Racing 1919-1941" by Don Radbruch. It has information on the different areas from coast to coast and small bio's of some of the people involved.

As a retiree I don't have a lot of funds for restoring some of the old racers I have found (3 so far). As a result I'm building my renditon of an early '30's dirt car. The nose is built out of the rear corners of a '29 sedan roof and some 18ga. I had laying around. You can also see the front of the frame made from 10ga CRS. The project is on hold till I can come up with a pair of '46 -'48 Chevy front fenders for the fuel tank cover and tail.

Ron
youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #276
youngster

Here ya go .. found a picture ...

Ron
Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #277
youngster

Here's a little more on Noel Bullock as TH mentioned in post #1.

Noel was from Ord Neb. and started racing there in a stripped down near stock Model T in 1918. he kept improving the car and in 1922 he took his Rajo powered 975 pound T to Pikes peak. He ran one test run up the mountain with the fastest time of 20.51 and won $500 for the fastest time of the day. The fans loved Bullock's victory but the promoters and the AAA felt differently.

The next meeting of the Contest Board of the American Automobile Ass. releasted the rules for the 1923 season setting a 1600 pound weight minimum. They reasoned, "The establishment in 1923 of a minimum weight limit in each of the three classes of cars entered insures a better motor test and makes the hill climb more of a sporting proposition than it has ever been."

Bullock went along with the rule change and cast a 625 pound babbit weight that could be bolted to the bottom of the seat. He showed up on Labor Day only to be disqualified because he had run in an unsanctioned race in Sturgis South Dakota.

The AAA had taken care of the "fivver probem at Pikes peak.

Ron
Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #278
Lazy Leo

I noticed something funny in Buildy's post #152 about the handbuilt racer that is in the EMMR museum: look closely what they used for the supports on the stringers to stiffen the scratch-built trailer : http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerr...n/photostream/
They are ...connecting rods
Old 11-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #279
Rickrushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post

Does anyone have any other photos of this car? Or and information about it? I would be very grateful for any help,
Rickrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #280
Rickrushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrushing View Post
Does anyone have any other photos of this car? Or and information about it? I would be very grateful for any help,
Specifically I'm in need of photos of the right side of this car.
Rickrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #281
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Real Nice work Youngster
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngster View Post
Here ya go .. found a picture ...

Ron

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #282
marc j

If anyone has ideas on a bullit proof rearend for a T I need to build one for my speedster.
If things go the way I plan I should have a new Model T Overhead Cam Head ready by late spring and I don't know if the stock one will hold up. Based on the RAJO B I'm working on the prototype. I'm trying to use modern internals but keeping the traditional looks. This is the Jim Culbert T-Go design. Will try for a Model A/B version by the end of 2012. Will put it in my sprint car.
marc j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #283
Buckelew

I recently bought this old T fairground racer from a collector's estate, in which is stayed at least 62 years. There is not pedigree for this car, as most homebrews were used up and left in fields to rot. More pics in my profile.

Often these cars were assembled with parts from various years, as is this one;

- 1920 chassis and motor
- 1913-1915 hogshead
- Rajo C-35 overhead valve head (1925-1927) with original intake/exhaust manifold
- Brass radiator (1912-1916)
- Early cast-iron Warford auxiliary transmission
- Ruckstell transaxle.
- Rocky Mountain-style brakes
- Ford 9N tractor hairpins
- Hayes demountable wirewheels
- Wooden buckboard body
- Stock steering
- Stewart speedo and oil gauge
- Stock gas tank
- 1931-1939 Bosch high-tension magneto from Autocar, J.D. Adams, or IHC heavy machine
- Pressurized lubrication
- 'A' crank or drilled 'T' crank -- haven't cracked it open yet

This car runs like a dream.

Last edited by Buckelew; 01-21-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Buckelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #284
Speedster

bttt
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #285
s1b

Noticed this thread died off. Thought I'd give it a bump.
This is one from England
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8759.jpg (102.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #286
Speedster

bttt
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #287
s.e.charles

very helpful information for the neophyte.
s.e.charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #288
$um Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
I will try T., just found the thread this morning. This is a picture of car 33, with Ernie Triplett as driver, The Barney Spl., Barney Klopfer car builder. Pacific Coast AAA Cars- 1930, listed as 2nd place for the year. In page 99, in the book. The Illustrated History Of Sprint Car Racing, 1896-1942, by Jack C. Fox, there are pictures on pages 71,81,88,92,94,96,. Also in the book Legion Ascot Speedway, by John R. Lucero, on pages 35, and 67. First car to have front wheel Breaks. The car was built 1925, or earlier, had an S-R Fronty, an was wreacked at least two times, and rebuilt, pictures in those two books. We have had the car for around 20 years, I would have to look. Thanks Herm.

Frank Lokhart's T racer "McDowell Special" had front brakes in 1923. This car was lightning fast with a SR Fronty and consistently out qualified Miller powered cars that led to his ride at Indy becoming the youngest winner of Indy at the time. Sadly he left us too early without realizing his full potential
$um Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #289
rileyracing

My 17 year old son picked this up a couple months ago. He's hoping to build a speedster out of it.

Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village
Sometimes Docent - Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
Member #347- Early Ford Registry

rileyracing on the HAMB
rileyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #290
JoeBauer

That's what dreams are made of! I hope he can make his come true.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #291
mercurymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by $um Fun View Post
Frank Lokhart's T racer "McDowell Special" had front brakes in 1923. This car was lightning fast with a SR Fronty and consistently out qualified Miller powered cars that led to his ride at Indy becoming the youngest winner of Indy at the time. Sadly he left us too early without realizing his full potential

Lucero's book stated that Lockhart's "McDowell Special" had a SR Fronty with a overhead cam. That would have been years before the Factory Fronty single stick came around....Here is my SR Fronty with a McDowell overhead cam attachment, using shaft and bevel gear drive with Wills St. Claire gears. Anyone know of any other McDowell equipment for Model T's ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_26e.jpg (79.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a06.jpg (57.6 KB, 70 views)
mercurymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #292
Mike Russell

Are there any tie rod or drag link issues when using a dropped axle?

Mike
Mike Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #293
drkbp

The first photograph was taken at the Michigan State Fair Grounds prior to the 1911 Algonquin Hill Climb meet 8 June 1911 and used to promote the races at Hawthorne Track in Chicago on June 10 and 11, 1911. It is a 389.9 cubic inch Ford Special racer that Frank Kulick raced at Algonquin June 8, 1911, numbered as the 42 car. Note the set back 4-cylinder Ford Special engine through the dash.

It is only 3-1/2 miles from the Ford Motor Company plant on Woodward, Detroit. Kulick apparently had rather free access to this track in Detroit.

Frank Kulick drove another one of these 389.9 cubic inch Ford Special racers at the same Algonquin Hill Climb as the 64 car.

Third photograph is from a newspaper of Frank Kulick driving the 64 car, the other 389.9 cubic inch Ford Special racer at Algonquin June 8, 1911. The set back engine not apparent in this photo.

Last edited by drkbp; 05-18-2019 at 07:08 AM.
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #294
Jim Huseby

The "T" sights and sounds at Speedsters Reunion tour and hill climb last week were wonderful. If anyone is interested, pm me and I can get help posting them Monday.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #295
Cadillac Bill

Default Any Info on my 1927 Speedster. Many options

Just bought this 1927 Model T Speedster. Has a wonderful list of options. Trying to find any history. Apparently it was redone in 1990s in California. Would like to know its history. Not for sale

Here is the list,
Canadian engine,
Ruckstell two speed axle,
Double Solex Carburetors and custom header,
Custom headers and free-flow exhaust
leather bucket seats,
drop front axle
Z’ed frame.
Original Edmunds & Jones headlights.
Rootlieb fenders and running boards.
Atwater Kent distributor.
Monocle windscreen.
Nice detailed pin striped.
Oil Pressure system with filter.
Foot feed and column for gas.
12v system.
Oil pressure gauge.
Speedometer.
Monocle windshield

Includes a custom built open trailer. Tows great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (144.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1-03.jpg (45.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1-04.jpg (68.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1-05.jpg (104.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1-02.jpg (123.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3973.jpg (113.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1-17.jpg (16.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1-08.jpg (36.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Cadillac Bill; 09-07-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Cadillac Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #296
gz

Here is my Kuempel Red-I-Kut boattail speedster. It is the only known original Kuempel Red-I-Kut Model T speedster body in existence. It was built in the 1920s and owned by the family of the person who built it until the 1980s when they donated it to the St. Louis Museum of Transportation. The museum sold it around 2000. It has Morton and Brett underslung front and rear end, Rajo self-steering spindles and House wire wheels. Other than being repainted by the museum, it is mostly all original. It was built almost identically to a speedster build described in a 1920s issue of Ford Owner and Dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp1.jpg (50.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg sp2.jpg (65.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg sp3.jpg (47.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sp4.jpg (50.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg sp7.jpg (39.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg sp11.jpg (124.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg sp16.jpg (50.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg sp17.jpg (45.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg sp18.jpg (47.3 KB, 18 views)
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #297
Dusty12682

Does anyone have pictures of quarter elliptical springs on the rear of a Model T race car?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dusty12682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #298
Shelbycsx

Does anyone know what the depth of the combustion chamber is on a B or BB rajo head, one that hasn't been milled. Which one has bigger intake ports?
Shelbycsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #299
Cadillac Bill

Default Re: Any Info on my 1927 Speedster. Many options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Bill View Post
Just bought this 1927 Model T Speedster. Has a wonderful list of options. Trying to find any history. Apparently, it was redone in the 1990s in California. Would like to know its history.
I pulled the head and had it shaved .15. I was able to determine my pistons are aluminum. With the Ruckstell in 'low' and really accelerates very quickly.

Painted the head red and call the car "TestaRosa" (Red Head, like myself!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TestaRosa.jpg (74.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #300
gz

Here is a really great website for speedster enthusiasts:

https://www.classicspeedsters.com/bl...-kut-speedster
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #301
Cadillac Bill

The website works better with
https://www.classicspeedsters.com/
Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #302
ChuckGalaga

Such an awesome thread! Great idea...just had to say.
ChuckGalaga is offline   Reply With Quote