Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #21
Bob C

Default Re: New Paypal fees. Be careful, folks

When using Friends and Family the sender pays the fee. I think it is 2.9%.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
When using Friends and Family the sender pays the fee. I think it is 2.9%.
Correct. Plus, if you don't have a balance or funds linked to a bank account, now there is an additional $10.00 fee that is added to each transaction when using Friends & Family.

This is a recent change.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 04-29-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Hhmm. I'm really reluctant to link my bank account. I'm not sure why. Could be the tinfoil hat I wear during times like these. LOL!

Many years back I read of several instances where PP overstepped their authority and put a freeze on a customer's account (FTS) when ANY sort of dispute reared it's ugly head. That's all I needed to hear! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
Heard

Well, to put it simply, PayPal sucks. They even have their own website....paypalsucks.com. Who else can claim such fame?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have a bank account PayPal account and I have never been charged a fee on non-commercial transactions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have a bank account PayPal account and I have never been charged a fee on non-commercial transactions.
Yes, this is apparently what they want you to do. Like I've said previously, I've been uncomfortable joining out main checking account to something I use once or twice a month.

Normally, I've been cool with paying the 2.9% for the ease of transaction. Now I have a decision to make. Either create a small checking account to link it to or find another way to pay.

Maybe I need to look into Venmo.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have never checked into other methods of payment for some sources such as ebay. The ones I deal with are all setup to use PayPal. It is quick and simple and never considered looking around.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #28
cas3

i use paypal all the time. never been charged a fee. i really like it when i buy from vendors online that are linked to pp, so the cash goes out and i dont have a crazy credit card bill for the wife to cry about my bad habits
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #29
Annixter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Correct. Plus, if you don't have a balance or funds linked to a bank account, now there is an additional $10.00 fee that is added to each transaction when using Friends & Family.

This is a recent change.
I'm not getting charged any of the fees people are discussing here. If anyone is getting charged fees for sending or receiving money using the "to a friend/family option," it's because the money is either coming from a credit card or is being rush processed--or both. There is no fee to send or receive money "to a friend/family" when using a linked bank account and the standard processing time--even with $0 in the sender's PayPal account. There has been no policy change with this method of which I'm aware. I've made about fifteen such transactions as both a buyer and seller the last two weeks and three today with no fees on my buyer's or seller's end.

I never keep money in my PayPal account and always transfer new funds to my bank account immediately because I'm not in the habit of letting PayPal borrow my money free of interest. I have never transferred money into my PayPal account either. If I send money "to a friend/family," the money is automatically withdrawn from my bank account free of charge to both me and the recipient with PayPal acting as a clearing house.

If a buyer wishes to pay using a credit card, I either expect to eat the 2.9% for cheaper items or make it clear in the ad for pricier items that there is an additional $??? (2.9% of the item) charge for PayPal payments made with a credit card.
Annixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #30
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
Well, to put it simply, PayPal sucks. They even have their own website....paypalsucks.com. Who else can claim such fame?
Who else? Almost every large consumer facing company, actually. Some even managed to spawn a site like xxxxreallysucks.com (where xxxx is the name of a certain American manufacturer of vehicles founded in the Detroit area in 1903, for instance). Don't even ask about the f-bomb version for the parent of the bow tie brand. Just be careful with any searching to avoid the ensuing parade of targeted ads otherwise headed your way.

I am not endorsing any of these sites where any legitimate issues are routinely buried by a flood of unhinged, fact-free rants by various aggrieved parties.

There are some slimy corners in the interwebs.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #31
big job

What V8 coopman said. I got charged $4000 from this clown "Upworks" from CA. So I
Googled them Not good results. I think they sell clothes or woman apparel. I called
them and said I DO NOT buy clothes. If not a truck or car part It is NOT mine. That
was 4yrs ago and now I AM the crook, and I got shut off. I do not have master card
any more so up the creek. Have to have my son buy for me. I will say It was fast easy
and I always paid on time. So there ya go !!
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #32
Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Who else? Almost every large consumer facing company, actually.

I am not endorsing any of these sites where any legitimate issues are routinely buried by a flood of unhinged, fact-free rants by various aggrieved parties.

There are some slimy corners in the interwebs.
That is true for sure. I can only speak from experience. The transactions I had with Paypal were easy right up until the part where I wanted them to send me MY money via a check. Then they went WAY south starting with trying to find a live human to talk to and ending hours and many conversations later before they would agree to give me my money. This happened on multiple occassions. Never again.